Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Was this a display of poor sportmanship?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
California high school wins football game 106-0: 'Classless move'

Justyn Martin, a UCLA commit, threw record 13 touchdown passes

A California high school football team drew scrutiny Friday night after dropping 106 points on their opponent while their quarterback threw 13 touchdown passes.

Inglewood High School beat Inglewood Morningside, 106-0, with quarterback Justyn Martin starring in the win. The school also went for a 2-point conversion while up 104-0.

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/californi...cla-commit
Yes, and the coaches should both be fired for it.
I’m not sure I’d go for two. But hey, one team sucks
And another team is good. The competitive side of me sees nothing wrong with the score. What are they supposed to do? Sit there with their thumbs up their [BLEEP]? But I also didn’t read the article, so perhaps there is more at play.
(10-30-2021, 06:48 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I’m not sure I’d go for two.  But hey, one team sucks
And another team is good.  The competitive side of me sees nothing wrong with the score.  What are they supposed to do? Sit there with their thumbs up their [BLEEP]?  But I also didn’t read the article, so perhaps there is more at play.

In school games you quit throwing the ball. The QB threw 13 TDs, that's obscene.
I don't mind the score.. Don't want to lose by that much? Get better..
(10-30-2021, 06:51 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind the score.. Don't want to lose by that much? Get better..

These are kids not pros. Have some class and run the ball.
(10-30-2021, 06:50 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2021, 06:48 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]I’m not sure I’d go for two.  But hey, one team sucks
And another team is good.  The competitive side of me sees nothing wrong with the score.  What are they supposed to do? Sit there with their thumbs up their [BLEEP]?  But I also didn’t read the article, so perhaps there is more at play.

In school games you quit throwing the ball. The QB threw 13 TDs, that's obscene.

Maybe they were trying new things out with the inevitable victory? Idk.  I just know that I am personally pretty competitive.  It’s not that I don’t want to show mercy, just more so of how good or great I can be.  Isn’t school, there are many lopsided games.  The competitive person would try to set a new record.  I’m not saying it’s classless, but I sure don’t blame them.

…and was it a rivalry team? If so… let ‘em have it.  The bad team will just have to suck it up. You don’t wanna get blown out 106-0 Get better.
Its definitely poor sportsmanship to run up the score on a team that is clearly beneath you. A 50 burger gets the point across, the starter shouldn't be in there to throw 13 TDs.
(10-30-2021, 06:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2021, 06:51 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]I don't mind the score.. Don't want to lose by that much? Get better..

These are kids not pros. Have some class and run the ball.

Like I said.. Don't want to lose by that large of a margin? Get better..

It's football, not pansyball..
(10-30-2021, 06:56 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2021, 06:52 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]These are kids not pros. Have some class and run the ball.

Like I said.. Don't want to lose by that large of a margin? Get better..

It's football, not pansyball..
I didn’t see your post when I posted my second one.  So we’ve got 2 for “ get better”
Nothing wrong with it. The object of the game is to score touchdowns. If you don't wanna lose by that much, do something to stop the other team or forfeit.
There should be no point in the game in which the “rules” change. You’re either good at your craft or need work. The losers should learn from it, the winners should not get complacent. If the fact that it happened was enough to embarrass the losing team, then running a story about it is probably worse than the initial beating. It’s like when I acted up as a kid. My mom yelled and spanked me, then dad got home and gave me a worse talking to and worse spanking. Like didn’t mom already do this? Why do we have to relive it?
Sportsmanship is a lost virtue in our society of [BLEEP] holes.
(10-30-2021, 08:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Sportsmanship is a lost virtue in our society of [BLEEP] holes.

Perhaps sports is a lost virtue in our society of “every is equal” even though we all know that isn’t true
I understand the whole, “it’s not whether you win or lose, it’s how you play the game” concept. It’s been told to me ever since I was a little kid.  I remember getting a trophy when I was playing youth tee ball or baseball.  I remember being upset we lost so many games and we got this puddly [BLEEP] trophy I was was supposed to hold up and be proud of.  As a 7 yr old or whatever I was embarrassed by that trophy.  I didn’t want it.  We didn’t win.  Even then I knew the participation trophy was [BLEEP]. No one told me that.  It was my competitive spirit.  I did not at that age feel worthy of that stupid thing.  But I just don’t see the point in playing if you’re not trying to win.  You don’t play to have fun.  You play to win. You can have fun in the process.  But the goal is to win. If the goal wasn’t to win, then there would be no keeping of score.  Who doesn’t want the high score?  As much as an embarrassment it is for the losing team, it’s a huge victory and success for the winning team.  But I digress, I am also the guy that overthinks and strategizes for stupid card games like uno.  After all, I didn’t decide to play uno to lose.
(10-30-2021, 08:57 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Sportsmanship is a lost virtue in our society of [BLEEP] holes.

I'm with you. Gotta take the air out of the ball at like 42-0.
(10-30-2021, 10:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]

I'm with you. Gotta take the air out of the ball at like 42-0.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I would much rather get crushed than to know my opponent had to put their "foot on the brake" as to not run up the score. I don't want any mercy. If I'm that bad, I need to know it and learn from it. Having someone hold back on you, is way more humiliating. It means I couldn't even compete with you when you weren't even trying. I want to face the best of the best, every time. If you can't give me you're all, then what's the point?
(10-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2021, 10:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with you. Gotta take the air out of the ball at like 42-0.

I don't understand this mentality at all. I would much rather get crushed than to know my opponent had to put their "foot on the brake" as to not run up the score. I don't want any mercy. If I'm that bad, I need to know it and learn from it. Having someone hold back on you, is way more humiliating. It means I couldn't even compete with you when you weren't even trying. I want to face the best of the best, every time. If you can't give me you're all, then what's the point?

The point is being a good sport, something that our world could use a lot more of. If you keep throwing the ball while up 7 touchdowns in a high school game then you are an [BLEEP] hole and should absolutely be removed from your position because you are teaching the wrong lessons to impressionable kids. Damn, what happened to common sense and decency in people? These aren't professionals, they're kids, so yeah, kick the guys when they're down and rub their faces in the dirt, that's what we should all be about.
(10-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2021, 10:09 PM)Senor Fantastico Wrote: [ -> ]I'm with you. Gotta take the air out of the ball at like 42-0.

If your son was on the losing team you might have a different perspective.  For that matter, how would you feel if your son was the backup QB on the winning team?  With at 12 TD lead, he still can't get into the game because the coach cares more about running up the score than giving your kid a chance to play.  Is that how you define sportsmanship?

If I was a parent on the winning team, I would be the first to go to the other sideline after the game to apologize to the opposing parents for the coach's actions.
(10-31-2021, 11:14 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-31-2021, 10:50 AM)TheO-LineMatters Wrote: [ -> ]I don't understand this mentality at all. I would much rather get crushed than to know my opponent had to put their "foot on the brake" as to not run up the score. I don't want any mercy. If I'm that bad, I need to know it and learn from it. Having someone hold back on you, is way more humiliating. It means I couldn't even compete with you when you weren't even trying. I want to face the best of the best, every time. If you can't give me you're all, then what's the point?

The point is being a good sport, something that our world could use a lot more of. If you keep throwing the ball while up 7 touchdowns in a high school game then you are an [BLEEP] hole and should absolutely be removed from your position because you are teaching the wrong lessons to impressionable kids. Damn, what happened to common sense and decency in people? These aren't professionals, they're kids, so yeah, kick the guys when they're down and rub their faces in the dirt, that's what we should all be about.

These are high school kids. They are a lot closer to adulthood than they are young children. They shouldn't be coddled. Do you think the bad things in life are gonna let up on them when things get tough? No. They need to learn that bad things often pile on and they need to develop the skills to get passed it. Life is gonna show these kids no mercy, so why should the opposing team? It's a valuable learning experience. You pick yourself up, dust yourself off and learn from it. 

That's the problem with kids in today's society. People want to coddle them and protect them from every little thing, so they grow up spoiled and entitled, thinking other people will protect them from all the bad things in life.
Pages: 1 2 3