Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Tucker Carlson lying about Disney?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Tucker Carlson says Disney will lose tax breaks if RCID is abolished.
I've looked at the Orange County Property Appraiser website, and I don't see any tax breaks.  
There's some waste management facilities there that are considered to be owned by a city, so they don't pay county taxes, but my city's waste management facility probably doesn't pay county taxes either.
Orange County Tax Collector says RCID pays all county taxes the same as any other property owner.  
What am I missing here?
Is Tucker Carlson lying?
Who knows? I've seen estimates that say Disney is avoiding paying 200 million in taxes each year with this special exemption. How much of that will go back to the taxpayers? I have no idea. Like most things political, there is only the emotional surface to examine. I would like to see the numbers.
DeSantis' office said basically the same thing. No details tho.
The taxes Florida collects are property, unemployment, fuel taxes, sales taxes, and hotel bed taxes. I have a very very hard time believing Disney skimped on any of those.
It's possible that Disney used the taxes RCID collects as some convoluted corporate tax write-off, but that would be defrauding the Feds, not Florida. Even then I wouldn't be mad so long as all the things RCID spent money on were normal city services. And I think they are.
I like DeSantis. I voted for the guy. I thought maybe Disney hadn't been paying property tax all these years. But they are paying it. I think DeSantis is lying to us.
But what is all of this really saying?
It actually is possible for a well connected corporation to get a special discount on their local and state property taxes. That's not what Disney did, at least not recently, but it is possible.
Florida has done that many times. Jacksonville was trying to do that for the Shipyards, remember?
Scott Walker tried to run for President as a Republican bragging about how many "jobs were created" using property tax discounts in Wisconsin.
So are we as Republicans saying we're still fine with all of that, as long as those corporations we give tax discounts to only give our party money, never our opponent's party? Is that really about creating jobs anymore? That feels more like trying to lock yourself into power forever. Corrupt.
Your favorite reference page calls the RCID a “governing jurisdiction and special taxing district”. There must be some sort of tax benefits to it, even if you don’t know what they are. So no, I don’t think Tucker or DeSantis is lying about it.
(04-24-2022, 12:06 AM)Bchbunnie4 Wrote: [ -> ]Your favorite reference page calls the RCID a “governing jurisdiction and special taxing district”. There must be some sort of tax benefits to it, even if you don’t know what they are. So no, I don’t think Tucker or DeSantis is lying about it.

Disney does not own all of the land in RCID.  They own most of it.
The special taxing district status allows them to impose additional property taxes on all of the land in the District and use the money they raise for government functions.
It does not allow them any kind of reduction on their normal property taxes.
If they are getting special treatment through low valuations, that will continue after RCID is gone.
Picking a fight with Disney is not a good look, but who knows how this plays out. Desantis is eyeing that 2024 run.
(04-24-2022, 07:57 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]Picking a fight with Disney is not a good look, but who knows how this plays out. Desantis is eyeing that 2024 run.

Disney is picking the fight with us. Chapek is groveling to the Fringe, not realizing that no matter how much he tries he'll never be able to give them enough.
Look, there is nothing in that bill that says Don't Say Gay. The entire narrative around limiting discussions about kids' sexuality to over third grade is a huge lie. Educators don't have a right to be discussing our children's sexuality with them at 6 and keeping that from parents, WHICH IS HAPPENING.

Disney picked a fight with the people of Florida. When Disney was contributing to the community well-being of our community, maybe the deserved special status. However, they are on camera openly encouraging the CEO to become an activist, and the company responded in kind. If Disney wants to get political, it can lose its special status. Will this hurt Disney? I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up helping Disney or hurting Floridians because politicians are dumb.
(04-24-2022, 08:32 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Look, there is nothing in that bill that says Don't Say Gay. The entire narrative around limiting discussions about kids' sexuality to over third grade is a huge lie. Educators don't have a right to be discussing our children's sexuality with them at 6 and keeping that from parents, WHICH IS HAPPENING.

Disney picked a fight with the people of Florida. When Disney was contributing to the community well-being of our community, maybe the deserved special status. However, they are on camera openly encouraging the CEO to become an activist, and the company responded in kind. If Disney wants to get political, it can lose its special status. Will this hurt Disney? I have no idea. It wouldn't surprise me if this ended up helping Disney or hurting Floridians because politicians are dumb.

And the narrative that only pedophiles and groomers oppose the bill is also a lie.
The temperature on this whole thing got way too hot.  
It used to be that the truth would be used to correct a lie.  
Now the powerful voices correct lies with more lies.
People need experts and authorities they can trust.
When the experts and authorities instead insult and demean them, the entire society is harmed.
When Disney employees say that the governor and legislature are demeaning them, it's a big problem.  The governor should be correcting that perception, instead he's doubling down.
(04-24-2022, 01:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2022, 08:32 AM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Look, there is nothing in that bill that says Don't Say Gay. The entire narrative around limiting discussions about kids' sexuality to over third grade is a huge lie. Educators don't have a right to be discussing our children's sexuality with them at 6 and keeping that from parents, WHICH IS HAPPENING.

And the narrative that only pedophiles and groomers oppose the bill is also a lie.
When the experts and authorities instead insult and demean them, the entire society is harmed.
When Disney employees say that the governor and legislature are demeaning them, it's a big problem.  The governor should be correcting that perception, instead he's doubling down.

DeSantis isn't demeaning them with anything but the truth.
(04-24-2022, 02:19 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-24-2022, 01:43 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]And the narrative that only pedophiles and groomers oppose the bill is also a lie.

DeSantis isn't demeaning them with anything but the truth.

You think all the people who voted no, and all the folks at Disney who walked off their jobs, are pedophiles and groomers?
What is a groomer?
(04-24-2022, 03:49 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]What is a groomer?

Grooming is certain deliberate acts towards a child that are innocent when considered in isolation, but are part of a predatory pattern of behavior for earning the child's trust.  This includes normalizing of physical contact, of being alone together, of keeping secrets, and anything else that might be a prerequisite to actual abuse that the groomer will inflict when he gets the opportunity.
20 years ago, schools, daycares, and churches might not have any training about spotting and thwarting this type of behavior. Now they all do and hopefully it'll keep this generation of kids safer.
But this is how propagandists like DeSantis work. They take a real problem, that really hurt, that society is already working on, and they co-opt that effort for their own divisive purposes.
Some facts about pedophiles: they're almost exclusively male, and about 80% of victims are female. Of the perps who had male victims, many do not identify as homosexual, with the probable conclusion being that they would have abused a girl if they had access to one, but they didn't. There is very little correlation between homosexuality or transgenderism and pedophilia. And DeSantis is one of the smartest governors we've ever had, he's a JAG officer, so he knows this. But DeSantis is deliberately propagandizing this issue and upsetting and dividing people.
Back to googling, I see. That's not what we mean when we say grooming. We are simply saying there is an intentional push to get kids to be more sexually open than what parents want. Sure, this isn't by everyone, but by a few activists. This legislation is shutting down LGBTQ+ ACTIVISM in the classroom. Not LGBTQ+ people. And, I know, you don't think there such a thing as LGBTQ+ activism. They are just misunderstood people who want the same rights as everyone else, right? Lol. This bill targets activism, and the media labeled it Don't Say Gay, which is pure rhetoric, and your calling DeSantis a liar. Kids are going to DIE! Geez, dude. You're so easily duped it astounds me.
(04-24-2022, 04:27 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Back to googling, I see. That's not what we mean when we say grooming. We are simply saying there is an intentional push to get kids to be more sexually open than what parents want. Sure, this isn't by everyone, but by a few activists. This legislation is shutting down LGBTQ+ ACTIVISM in the classroom. Not LGBTQ+ people. And, I know, you don't think there such a thing as LGBTQ+ activism. They are just misunderstood people who want the same rights as everyone else, right? Lol. This bill targets activism, and the media labeled it Don't Say Gay, which is pure rhetoric, and your calling DeSantis a liar. Kids are going to DIE! Geez, dude. You're so easily duped it astounds me.
Careful. That’s harassment.
(04-24-2022, 04:27 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]Back to googling, I see. 

Try me.
https://www.grammarly.com/plagiarism-checker
Groom just means to prepare. These activists are acclimating children to their sexual proclivities. They are keeping it from parents. They are exploring topics that parents don't want being discussed with their 6 year old children. This is conditioning 101. And, again, if you actually read ANY of the philosophy of this movement, you would understand that this is the end goal. The crazy part is that this stuff was roundly rejected in Academic circles up until about 15 years ago. Intellectuals who peddled this nonsense were borderline ostracized. We wouldn't even be having this discussion 10 years ago, because you would have found this behavior deplorable. However, since academia has been more or less been paid off to entertain these ideas (some, in part, by China), you have seen an uptick in teaching. Not only that, but, like I have discussed here before, this is part of a broader plan that I have referred to as the long march through the institutions, so these progressives intentionally promote from within their own ideology. Again, not by accident. You're just not informed enough to see it for what it is, and you're too obsessed with being part of intelligencia to challenge what you've been told to think.
Let me put it another way. If we allowed Christianity to be taught in schools, you would be perfectly within your linguistic rights to say Christian teachers were grooming atheist children to become Christians, especially if the Christian teachers were actively proselytizing to the students. A better word is conditioning, but grooming works.

Now, let's say they were secretly converting children and telling them they didn't need to tell their parents, because they are children of God. Now, let's say that the people started to complain about this, and their representatives took notices and said, look, we are going to pass a bill that says we don't really think religion should be discussed in school before third grade. After third grade, you can have discussions about faith when appropriate, but we still don't want you trying to convert children and believe that's something that something that should be dealt with at the family level. Then Christians called it the Don't Say God act and tried to make the governor out to be a religious bigot.

This is more or less exactly what has transpired, and, unless you try to jump through hoops to reframe that analogy, you should be able to see why this whole thing progressive rhetoric.
Pages: 1 2 3