Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: 3-4 or 4-3?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
What lineup do you prefer?

4-3
DE Allen
DT Hamilton
DT Foley Fatukasi? (always forget how to spell his name lol)
DE Walker
Will Foye
Mike Muma
Sam Lloyd

Not exatly sure who they'd put where in that situation, but that would be my speculation. 

3-4
OLB Allen
DE Walker
NT Hamilton/Foley
DE Foley/Smoot
OLB Lloyd
ILB Muma/Foye

Obviously in the 3-4 Walker i'd assume would move around and play both DE and OLB based on his versatility but I think this would be the smart move with the assumption that Lloyd can rush the passer but would obviously be the one to drop back into coverage more often than Allen.

Personally.. Kinda like the idea of going back to a 4-3 I feel like the personel fits very well, however I could honestly go either way. What do you think we ultimately do on defense?
I think they plan to stay in a 34. That's what I got from watching the recent press conference. I could be wrong though.
(04-30-2022, 04:33 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]I think they plan to stay in a 34. That's what I got from watching the recent press conference. I could be wrong though.

I think the Devin Lloyd pick really makes a ton of sense if we remain in a 3-4. He's a better pass rusher than Chaisson, he could play ILB or OLB because he's also a very good coverage guy. The question tho is, do you put Walker as a DE or an OLB in a 3-4? Or do you rotate him around as well with Lloyd? I feel a 4-3 may be easier for the rookies to learn their positions this year but if they can get ahold of the 3-4 scheme it could be dynamic. I just wonder how they use Lloyd and Walker. Muma and Foye are both too good to just be depth players imo.
It may end up being a hybrid 3 - 4 overall. There's no other reason you draft three linebackers unless you plan on seeing them on the football field more than anybody else.

OLB - Walker
ILB - Muma DE - Josh Allen
ILB - Oluokun DT - Malcolm Brown
OLB - Lloyd DE - Duwaune Smoot

This gives you the most bang for your buck. Allen probably gets moved around the most and floats between DE/OLB at various ends of the front seven. Same with guys like Foley Fatukasi & DaVaon Hamilton moving in and out at DT. 3 - 4 will be the base look overall but I fully expect Mike Caldwell to do a lot of crazy [BLEEP] out there package and look wise.

This puts your best players on the football field though IMHO. The linebacking core is now clearly in a position to where they can effect the run and pass game from all angles.
(04-30-2022, 05:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It may end up being a hybrid 3 - 4 overall. There's no other reason you draft three linebackers unless you plan on seeing them on the football field more than anybody else.

OLB - Walker
ILB - Muma      DE - Josh Allen
ILB - Oluokun    DT - Malcolm Brown
OLB - Lloyd        DE - Duwaune Smoot

This gives you the most bang for your buck. Allen probably gets moved around the most and floats between DE/OLB at various ends of the front seven. Same with guys like Foley Fatukasi & DaVaon Hamilton moving in and out at DT. 3 - 4 will be the base look overall but I fully expect Mike Caldwell to do a lot of crazy [BLEEP] out there package and look wise.

This puts your best players on the football field though IMHO. The linebacking core is now clearly in a position to where they can effect the run and pass game from all angles.

Wow last year is such a blurr to me I completely forgot Malcolm Brown was here lmao.
(04-30-2022, 05:11 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2022, 05:03 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It may end up being a hybrid 3 - 4 overall. There's no other reason you draft three linebackers unless you plan on seeing them on the football field more than anybody else.

OLB - Walker
ILB - Muma      DE - Josh Allen
ILB - Oluokun    DT - Malcolm Brown
OLB - Lloyd        DE - Duwaune Smoot

Wow last year is such a blurr to me I completely forgot Malcolm Brown was here lmao.

So is Arden Key now. They have a lot of opportunities this year with their front seven to attack from a wide variety of angles. I am still interested to see what they do in this draft here today.
3-4 hybrid stuff. But they could give some 43 looks too.
The front 7 is truly the strength of the team now. I'm exciting to see them on the field.
(04-30-2022, 07:08 AM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]3-4 hybrid stuff. But they could give some 43 looks too.

(04-30-2022, 07:16 AM)I am Yoda Wrote: [ -> ]The front 7 is truly the strength of the team now.  I'm exciting to see them on the field.

You can't fix everything in one off season. They did the best they could with what was presented to them in free agency on offense and they didn't reach in this draft value wise where honestly the overall class on defense looks to be better than the offensive class. 

I am not upset with any of these selections so far. I think Walker makes more sense if they're truly sticking with him at OLB. He may end up being a better pass rushing threat standing up with his natural speed and size and he also already has a good foundation when it comes to sniffing out the ground game. 

Adding Muma, Lloyd, Oluokon and Fatusaki is what's going to allow Walker and Allen to just "GO!". Go out there and get into the backfield without second guessing whether it's a run or pass. Just get in there and [BLEEP] [BLEEP] up. The other guys are now on the hook for playing clean up or mop up when it's a misdirection play. 

This defense got really good really fast this off season on paper. Couple it with Mike Caldwell's background and style of defense? It looks promising man. And, again, we still have a [BLEEP] ton of picks left to move up for another starter or two on offense or they can sit back and keep adding role players to shore up the back end of the depth chart or help out on special teams. 

I like Sterling Weatherford and Nephi Sewell as options in RD6/RD7 if they don't come up today. Both of those guys have that weird ability and speed/size to them where they can play FS/SS/LB in specific packages or at least add special teams depth as rookies.
It looks like Jags are working o building a stout defense, and i love that.  Thats what eagles had when they won the Super Bowl,and that was with a highly overrted qb in nick foles.   

if jags don't draft a wr,i can see them getting a top one from free agengy.   I'm still not expecting a bunch of wins yet,but i do expect to see our defense after a couple games be able to get off the field on 3rd downs instead of teams getting first
(04-30-2022, 03:39 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]What lineup do you prefer?

4-3
DE Allen
DT Hamilton
DE Walker
Will Foye
Mike Muma
Sam Lloyd

Not exatly sure who they'd put where in that situation, but that would be my speculation. 

3-4
OLB Allen
DE Walker
NT Hamilton/Foley
DE Foley/Smoot
OLB Lloyd
ILB Muma/Foye

Obviously in the 3-4 Walker i'd assume would move around and play both DE and OLB based on his versatility but I think this would be the smart move with the assumption that Lloyd can rush the passer but would obviously be the one to drop back into coverage more often than Allen.

Personally.. Kinda like the idea of going back to a 4-3 I feel like the personel fits very well, however I could honestly go either way. What do you think we ultimately do on defense?

Philosophically, I prefer a 4-3.

As it pertains to this team and roster as currently constructed, I prefer a 3-4.

People are knocking the Muma pick...not because he was a reach at that spot in the draft, but because of what we already did this offseason, adding Oluakun and Lloyd.  Byt here's a newsflash:  when you run a 3-4, you need a lot of LBs.  We now have quality, depth and versatility.

At edge, we have Josh Allen, Travon Walker, Arden Key, Smoot, and, in a pinch, Lloyd.

At ILB, we have Oluakun, Lloyd, Muma, and quarterman.

We are far more athletic at ILB than we were last year.  We have at least two guys who can wear the green dot and get guys lined up with Oluakun and Muma, whereas the last two years, we've struggled to find one guy who could do that.

With Walker, while my clear preference and the team's stated preference is to keep him at edge, in a pinch, Walker could theoretically play a 5, depending on his weight.

With Fatukasi, Brown and Hamilton, we have three guys who could potentially play NT.

Right now, we have some depth in our front 7.

I think we are relatively well positioned to improve from last year.  3-4 is the best scheme for the team at the moment.
Ummm Lloyd too light in the pockets to play OLB in a 34, so he'd be an inside guy.

I see them running a hybrid due to Walker, Key and Smoot. It can look like a 43 when in actuality they're in 34. They can have guys coming from all over the place or dropping back in to coverage. With Walker being the key because you don't know if he's playing DE, DT, or LB.
Doesn’t matter, nickel is the most used formation.

Allen and Walker on the ends with Hamilton and Foley inside.

Lloyd and Olu LB

Williams, Griffin, and Campbell at CB

Cisco and Jenkins S.

It was mentioned by Upper, but maybe we see Walker kick inside for maybe Hamilton and put Lloyd on the edge with Muma at LB. Maybe we see some 3-3-5 looks. Point is it really doesn’t matter about 3-4/4-3 in todays nfl it’s about the nickel package.
I think we'll see it look like this a lot in base...

Allen   Muma   Foye   Lloyd

Walker  Hamilton  Foley

Hamilton likely comes out in Nickel and of course they'll be rotating guys quite a bit. How they work all these guys into the swing of things will be fun to watch going forward.

I know they said they planned on Walker being an OLB, but that was before they drafted Muma. Wont be a bit surprised if he plays inside more now.
(04-30-2022, 04:33 AM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]I think they plan to stay in a 34. That's what I got from watching the recent press conference. I could be wrong though.

I got the same impression.  They were talking about Muma fitting their scheme and no mention of changing schemes.  Also, when talking about Muma, they emphasized value, special teams and the fact that you are "only one play away from being down a linebacker".
Hamilton and Fotakosi on the field together is not what you want in the nickel, you are going to see some 2-4-5 fronts imo or 3-3-5 when we go to nickel to get all of the athletes on the field
(04-30-2022, 08:04 AM)Bullseye Wrote: [ -> ]
(04-30-2022, 03:39 AM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]What lineup do you prefer?

4-3
DE Allen
DT Hamilton
DE Walker
Will Foye
Mike Muma
Sam Lloyd

3-4
OLB Allen
DE Walker
NT Hamilton/Foley
DE Foley/Smoot
OLB Lloyd
ILB Muma/Foye

Philosophically, I prefer a 4-3.

As it pertains to this team and roster as currently constructed, I prefer a 3-4.

People are knocking the Muma pick...not because he was a reach at that spot in the draft, but because of what we already did this offseason, adding Oluakun and Lloyd.  Byt here's a newsflash:  when you run a 3-4, you need a lot of LBs.  We now have quality, depth and versatility.

At edge, we have Josh Allen, Travon Walker, Arden Key, Smoot, and, in a pinch, Lloyd.

At ILB, we have Oluakun, Lloyd, Muma, and quarterman.

We are far more athletic at ILB than we were last year.  We have at least two guys who can wear the green dot and get guys lined up with Oluakun and Muma, whereas the last two years, we've struggled to find one guy who could do that.

With Walker, while my clear preference and the team's stated preference is to keep him at edge, in a pinch, Walker could theoretically play a 5, depending on his weight.

With Fatukasi, Brown and Hamilton, we have three guys who could potentially play NT.

Right now, we have some depth in our front 7.

I think we are relatively well positioned to improve from last year.  3-4 is the best scheme for the team at the moment.

I almost nailed the muma pick on my mock lol had us taking him 65. I had us taking fortner later on too. I love Muma and Lloyd I think they both instantly make us better.
Since our DC came from the Bucs and is expected to bring along the same/similar scheme, here's a look at where our guys likely fit. It doesn't include Muma though, so it'll be interesting to see how they work all these guys onto the field.
https://twitter.com/JaxonFil/status/1520869568608186371
This aligns with my thought on placement/positions for these guys.

I think the answer to the Muma fit comes down to different packages for run D and then even more diverse packages for pass D.

They can get creative with moving Lloyd around, and that potentially opens up snaps for Muma.
(05-01-2022, 07:36 PM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]Since our DC came from the Bucs and is expected to bring along the same/similar scheme, here's a look at where our guys likely fit. It doesn't include Muma though, so it'll be interesting to see how they work all these guys onto the field.
https://twitter.com/JaxonFil/status/1520869568608186371
It really should be a top flight defense by seasons end. They have zero excuses at this point. They spent the money. They spent the draft picks. Now they have to actually make it work.

I’m pretty pumped to watch the defense if they truly are going to be as aggressive as those Bowles defenses. The player I’m most excited for is Cisco. In his limited time, you could see the type of playmaker he could become. He was always around the ball ready to make a play.
Pages: 1 2