Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you think Jimmy Smith will go to the Hall of Fame?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Jimmy was very nasty back in his day.  He put the fear of god against any DB because of his speed.  Lets not forget he played in an era that DB's could rough up receivers.  Could you imagine if he played in today's game?  I don't know how much of the nose candy issues would be a consideration into the hall.  Hell both Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irvin both openly admit doing the old nose candy and both are in the Hall.  Do you think Jimmy has a shot?  The stats are impressive:

862 catches, 12,287 yards,  A crazy 14.3 yds/catch, 67 TDs in a running era.   Saw this today too, he is on a great list of names here:

https://twitter.com/nflnumber/status/152...5nRlDdMc6w
You should find a hobby.
No, he's a Jag and a crackhead. He was a great player but flawed in ways that can't be overcome. I think he's greater than Fred but Fred has a better chance than he does.

And OP's nonsense about a running era is just dumb, the late 90s/early 2000s were already in the passing era. But we expect nonsense from him.
If Jimmy Smith wasn’t suspended for 4 games he would have made it 10 consecutive seasons with 1,000 yards receiving. He was just 212 yards shy.

Not bad for a guy that became a full time starter at the age of 28, which was the 1997 season. Smith only started 9 games in 1996 according to Pro Football Reference. He also had more receiving yards than McCardell in 1996 but didn’t make the Pro Bowl, Keenan made it instead.

He will probably never make it but should be considered.
(05-18-2022, 09:22 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]Jimmy was very nasty back in his day.  He put the fear of god against any DB because of his speed.  Lets not forget he played in an era that DB's could rough up receivers.  Could you imagine if he played in today's game?  I don't know how much of the nose candy issues would be a consideration into the hall.  Hell both Lawrence Taylor and Michael Irvin both openly admit doing the old nose candy and both are in the Hall.  Do you think Jimmy has a shot?  The stats are impressive:

862 catches, 12,287 yards,  A crazy 14.3 yds/catch, 67 TDs in a running era.   Saw this today too, he is on a great list of names here:

https://twitter.com/nflnumber/status/152...5nRlDdMc6w

I'll say little to no chance.

It took this long to get Boselli into the hall, Fred would probably be the next to be considered from that era, and his chances are slim as well.

Like it or not, the hall is based on notoriety. Sometimes that notoriety is based on market, but also on things like postseason performance when all eyes are on a select few teams.  The team's inability to make an SB during his career may have hampered his opportunity to define his status as a top receiver. With each year, more and more receivers from the pass-happy era of football will become eligible and Jimmy will continue to fall further out of people's focus. It sucks, but it's how it is.

An almost carbon copy stat-wise would be Torry Holt. Torry has a bit more regular season yardage in fewer seasons, but Jimmy has more postseason TD. Torry as a ring and a role in the "Greatest Show on Turf". I don't see any way Jimmy gets in before Holt, and Holt is by no means a shoe-in himself.

I hope I'm being overly pessimistic of the Hall's selection committee. But I don't see it happening before I am much older and much grayer, if ever.
Tim Brown and Terrell Owens never won super bowls.
If they're in the HoF, I don't see why Jimmy shouldn't be.
No only other shot we have is Freddy one day but even he is a longshot
(05-19-2022, 09:56 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Tim Brown and Terrell Owens never won super bowls.

For what its worth, Owens and Brown both played in SB's, they just weren't on the winning team.
I said it before and I'll say it again. Rod Smith and Jimmy Smith pretty much have the same exact stats but Rod Smith has 2 SB Rings and no suspensions so Rod goes in before Jimmy. If you don't think Rod Smith should be in the HOF, then one should not think Jimmy should be in either. Perhaps they should both be in but Rod goes in before Jimmy but neither are likely to get in.
(05-19-2022, 09:56 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Tim Brown and Terrell Owens never won super bowls. 

Terrell Owens has 3500 more receiving yards and has 153 TDs compared to Jimmy's 67 TDs

Tim Brown has 2500 more receiving yards and 100 TDs

Torry Holt has 2000 more receiving yards and 74 TDs so he'll get in before Jimmy too.
(05-19-2022, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I said it before and I'll say it again.  Rod Smith and Jimmy Smith pretty much have the same exact stats but Rod Smith has 2 SB Rings and no suspensions so Rod goes in before Jimmy.  If you don't think Rod Smith should be in the HOF, then one should not think Jimmy should be in either.  Perhaps they should both be in but Rod goes in before Jimmy but neither are likely to get in.

I agree. I think Jimmy was probably a little bit better at their respective peaks but I consider them both HOF worthy. Jimmy's off the field issues and playing in a small market will obviously hurt his chances but I think he will ultimately get in on the basis of his stats.

see the post directly above in re: notoriety.

Also, among all WR in NFL history you cited #7  and #3 in career TDs (100 for Brown, 153 for TO) and #6 and #3 in career yards (14934 and 15934, same order). And don't forget the 4500 additional yards Brown contributed as a returner, making his case that much more solid.

Compare that to Jimmy, 23rd in yards (12287) and 49th in TDs (67).

Brown and Owens played for two of the most popular teams in the league and had plenty of cameras focused on their play from week to week.

It's pretty darn clear to me why they are in and Jimmy isn't.

(05-19-2022, 10:46 AM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]

For what its worth, Owens and Brown both played in SB's, they just weren't on the winning team.

Brown's stat line (1 catch, 9 yds) isn't enough to carry him anywhere, but yes, in the Hall of reconizable, just getting there gives the media plenty opportunity to shine a light on a player's career even when they are in the sunset of their playing days. Jimmy never got that opportunity, nor did Tony, Fred, or any of the other very good to great players we've had the joy to cheer for on Sundays.
Unfortunately, no. He won't make it.
(05-18-2022, 09:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]No, he's a Jag and a crackhead. He was a great player but flawed in ways that can't be overcome. I think he's greater than Fred but Fred has a better chance than he does.

And OP's nonsense about a running era is just dumb, the late 90s/early 2000s were already in the passing era. But we expect nonsense from him.

Someone peed in your cheerios or your face?
Sterling Sharpe has a better shot than Jimmy Smith. Jimmy [BLEEP] up off the field man. It's hard to overcome that. I love the guy. I grew up on him. I am a 90's kid.
Those years and plays he made are embedded in my brain.

Keenan McCardell has a better shot if you factor in his role with the Buccaneers and his off the field image and coaching. He's an Art Monk type.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Here are Keenan's overall stats.  Not sure how they stack up against other candidates or current HOF members. Didn't even remember his time with the Chargers.

Rec         Yds        Y/R      TD
  • 4 yrs CLE          80        1133      14.2      8
  • 6 yrs JAX         499      6393      12.8      30
  • 2 yrs TAM        145      1844      12.7    14
  • 3 yrs SDG        137      1747      12.8      10
  • 1 yr WAS            22        256      11.6        1
  • Career              883     11373      12.9      63
Depends on the cost of admission, but yeah I could see him checking it out if he happened to be in the area.
(05-19-2022, 12:41 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-19-2022, 11:26 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I said it before and I'll say it again.  Rod Smith and Jimmy Smith pretty much have the same exact stats but Rod Smith has 2 SB Rings and no suspensions so Rod goes in before Jimmy.  If you don't think Rod Smith should be in the HOF, then one should not think Jimmy should be in either.  Perhaps they should both be in but Rod goes in before Jimmy but neither are likely to get in.

I agree. I think Jimmy was probably a little bit better at their respective peaks but I consider them both HOF worthy. Jimmy's off the field issues and playing in a small market will obviously hurt his chances but I think he will ultimately get in on the basis of his stats.

Jimmy was a really good player for us.  I have a lot of good memories and enjoyed watching him play the game.

Hall of Fame enshrines exceptional figures in the sport of professional football, including players, coaches, franchise owners, and front-office personnel, almost all of whom made their primary contributions to the game in the National Football League.  It is not just stats.

Bo is being inducted this year. He was exceptional when he played, there have not been many tackles like him. The shortness of his career was the only negative. I have to believe that Tony's recent broadcasting career has helped him.

Is Jimmy exceptional ? Not good, not great, exceptional.  It is not what we think, it is how the process and people running it think.  He could get in but it is a long shot as this string has named more than a few receivers that have similar career stats.
(05-19-2022, 05:41 PM)jaguarmvp Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-18-2022, 09:55 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]No, he's a Jag and a crackhead. He was a great player but flawed in ways that can't be overcome. I think he's greater than Fred but Fred has a better chance than he does.

Someone peed in your cheerios or your face?

You intentionally embellished in an attempt to make your case. As usual.
Pages: 1 2