Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Left Guard 2022
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Seems like this position has a front runner in Ben Bartch but a number of scenarios make this perhaps the most "up for grabs" position headed into camp. 

LT is Cam's barring injury.
Center is Shatley's unless (or until) the rookie Fortner really shows out. 
RG is Scherff barring injury.
RT is a "battle" between Little and Taylor - and Little should win easily IMO. 

Now the question becomes, will the losers of the Center competition and the RT competition become candidates at LG?

OL coach leaves the possibility open when asked (at least the swing tackle/LG possibility)

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...kle-battle

Whether Fortner or Shatley is a possibility to compete at LG seems to be open as well considering how many times Pederson and Rauscher have mentioned "getting the best 5 out there" and how many times Fortner's versatility has been lauded. 

Most anticipate a lineup of:

Robinson / Bartch / Shatley / Scherff / Little

But there are several ways this may play out in the end. Hopefully they all stay healthy and that doesn't affect the outcome, but we've all seen injuries shuffle the OL many times.
Nice to have choices, for a change. Either way, the line should be much improved from recent history.
(06-26-2022, 03:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Seems like this position has a front runner in Ben Bartch but a number of scenarios make this perhaps the most "up for grabs" position headed into camp. 

LT is Cam's barring injury.
Center is Shatley's unless (or until) the rookie Fortner really shows out. 
RG is Scherff barring injury.
RT is a "battle" between Little and Taylor  - and Little should win easily IMO. 

Now the question becomes, will the losers of the Center competition and the RT competition become candidates at LG?

OL coach leaves the possibility open when asked (at least the swing tackle/LG possibility)

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...kle-battle

Whether Fortner or Shatley is a possibility to compete at LG seems to be open as well considering how many times Pederson and Rauscher have mentioned "getting the best 5 out there" and how many times Fortner's versatility has been lauded. 

Most anticipate a lineup of:

Robinson / Bartch / Shatley / Scherff / Little

But there are several ways this may play out in the end. Hopefully they all stay healthy and that doesn't affect the outcome, but we've all seen injuries shuffle the OL many times.

I hope Fortner wins the Center battle in camp. Shatley works best as a backup and Fortner is not the most physical specimen. I don’t see him excelling at guard.
Bartch was taken in the 4th round as a small school developmental lineman with limited experience but high upside. He's had 2 years now of development; I think the Jags patience and vision will pay dividends this season.
It was just OTA but Bartch is one of the few players that stood out the mosr
I think Bartch is the best lineman by season's end.
Is this a poll about men's deodorant? I don't see my choice, Irish Spring, listed.
It's definitely Bartch's position to lose. If someone does beat him out for the spot, well that would speak volumes for the depth or development we have at that position. I think we give Fortner similar treatment as Bartch, perhaps on a more accelerated timeline. Not starting this season, but take the year to bulk up, get a ton of practice reps, learn the schemes, line reads, etc and have him ready to replace Shatley next year. Even with a monster like Scherff on his right, I don't think you send a rook into those trenches immediately unless he is wowing coaches on a daily basis in practices and drills.
Bartch has been getting pretty much all the significant reps there. If the loser of another position battle beats Bartch out without even taking real snaps there, then that kind of sucks. It needs to be Bartch, and there needs to be no question about it. Does anyone really want Taylor starting there anyway?
...could you imagine the confusion this poll would cause if we had a guy named Corn playing on the line?
Get back to ya on this after a few preseason games at this point it would just be guessing.
Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.
But looking at this list and I'm weary of our depth. Outside of Shat do we have anyone that won't make us groan if and when there's an injury to the OL this year.
(07-05-2022, 09:48 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.
But looking at this list and I'm weary of our depth. Outside of Shat do we have anyone that won't make us groan if and when there's an injury to the OL this year.

Taylor not Robinson? Is that at Left Tackle? Maybe you mixed the names?
(07-05-2022, 09:48 AM)Kane Wrote: [ -> ]Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.

Based on the fact that you have Cam on the bench leads me to believe our depth is better than our starting LT.
(07-05-2022, 10:59 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]

Based on the fact that you have Cam on the bench leads me to believe our depth is better than our starting LT.

Bahaha yeah I definitely meant Robinson instead of Taylor at LT.
Not sure what I was thinking there
Sobasically if we keep and not cut/trade taylor we have as backups, Taylor/lLittle loser, Shatley /Fortner loser who wont make me groan too much if either has to go in. Other backup we can try sort out in preaseason. Possibly Bartch as backup also if he doesnt step up.
(06-26-2022, 10:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]I think Bartch is the best lineman by season's end.

I think it's the last year of his rookie contract so it's a good bet that he'll give that goal a red hot go.

EDIT: Nope. He's in the third year of his first four-year contract.
I hope that Bartch and Fortner are able to win the LG and C positions respectfully.
(07-09-2022, 08:23 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: [ -> ]I hope that Bartch and Fortner are able to win the LG and C positions respectfully.

Shatley's been solid if not spectacular in relief of Linder over the past couple of seasons.  If Fortner beats him out, that's a real good thing.  Bartch beating everyone out for his position would be quite a good thing as well.

We agree to disagree on the LT position.

NH3...
Pages: 1 2 3