Create Account

Board Performance Issues We are aware of performance issues on the board and are working to resolve them! The board may be intermittently unavailable during this time. (May 07) x

The Jungle is self-supported by showing advertisements via Google Adsense.
Please consider disabling your advertisement-blocking plugin on the Jungle to help support the site and let us grow!
We also show significantly less advertisements to registered users, so create your account to benefit from this!
Questions or concerns about this ad? Take a screenshot and comment in the thread. We do value your feedback.
Poll: Who becomes the primary LG in 2022?
This poll is closed.
Bartch
59.79%
58 59.79%
Taylor
15.46%
15 15.46%
Little
9.28%
9 9.28%
Fortner
3.09%
3 3.09%
Shatley
10.31%
10 10.31%
Other
2.06%
2 2.06%
Total 97 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Left Guard 2022

Seems like this position has a front runner in Ben Bartch but a number of scenarios make this perhaps the most "up for grabs" position headed into camp. 

LT is Cam's barring injury.
Center is Shatley's unless (or until) the rookie Fortner really shows out. 
RG is Scherff barring injury.
RT is a "battle" between Little and Taylor - and Little should win easily IMO. 

Now the question becomes, will the losers of the Center competition and the RT competition become candidates at LG?

OL coach leaves the possibility open when asked (at least the swing tackle/LG possibility)

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...kle-battle

Whether Fortner or Shatley is a possibility to compete at LG seems to be open as well considering how many times Pederson and Rauscher have mentioned "getting the best 5 out there" and how many times Fortner's versatility has been lauded. 

Most anticipate a lineup of:

Robinson / Bartch / Shatley / Scherff / Little

But there are several ways this may play out in the end. Hopefully they all stay healthy and that doesn't affect the outcome, but we've all seen injuries shuffle the OL many times.

We show less advertisements to registered users. Accounts are free; join today!

Nice to have choices, for a change. Either way, the line should be much improved from recent history.
"If you always do what you've always done, You'll always get what you always got"

(06-26-2022, 03:42 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: Seems like this position has a front runner in Ben Bartch but a number of scenarios make this perhaps the most "up for grabs" position headed into camp. 

LT is Cam's barring injury.
Center is Shatley's unless (or until) the rookie Fortner really shows out. 
RG is Scherff barring injury.
RT is a "battle" between Little and Taylor  - and Little should win easily IMO. 

Now the question becomes, will the losers of the Center competition and the RT competition become candidates at LG?

OL coach leaves the possibility open when asked (at least the swing tackle/LG possibility)

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/duval-ins...kle-battle

Whether Fortner or Shatley is a possibility to compete at LG seems to be open as well considering how many times Pederson and Rauscher have mentioned "getting the best 5 out there" and how many times Fortner's versatility has been lauded. 

Most anticipate a lineup of:

Robinson / Bartch / Shatley / Scherff / Little

But there are several ways this may play out in the end. Hopefully they all stay healthy and that doesn't affect the outcome, but we've all seen injuries shuffle the OL many times.

I hope Fortner wins the Center battle in camp. Shatley works best as a backup and Fortner is not the most physical specimen. I don’t see him excelling at guard.
"I am only an average man, but by George, I work harder at it than the average man." - Teddy Roosevelt

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 05:48 PM by ATLjag. Edited 1 time in total.)

Bartch was taken in the 4th round as a small school developmental lineman with limited experience but high upside. He's had 2 years now of development; I think the Jags patience and vision will pay dividends this season.

It was just OTA but Bartch is one of the few players that stood out the mosr

I think Bartch is the best lineman by season's end.
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(This post was last modified: 06-26-2022, 11:27 PM by NewJagsCity.)

Is this a poll about men's deodorant? I don't see my choice, Irish Spring, listed.
"Remember Red, Hope is a good thing. Maybe the best of things. And no good thing ever dies."  - Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

It's definitely Bartch's position to lose. If someone does beat him out for the spot, well that would speak volumes for the depth or development we have at that position. I think we give Fortner similar treatment as Bartch, perhaps on a more accelerated timeline. Not starting this season, but take the year to bulk up, get a ton of practice reps, learn the schemes, line reads, etc and have him ready to replace Shatley next year. Even with a monster like Scherff on his right, I don't think you send a rook into those trenches immediately unless he is wowing coaches on a daily basis in practices and drills.

Bartch has been getting pretty much all the significant reps there. If the loser of another position battle beats Bartch out without even taking real snaps there, then that kind of sucks. It needs to be Bartch, and there needs to be no question about it. Does anyone really want Taylor starting there anyway?

...could you imagine the confusion this poll would cause if we had a guy named Corn playing on the line?

Get back to ya on this after a few preseason games at this point it would just be guessing.

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022, 09:49 AM by Kane.)

Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.
But looking at this list and I'm weary of our depth. Outside of Shat do we have anyone that won't make us groan if and when there's an injury to the OL this year.

(07-05-2022, 09:48 AM)Kane Wrote: Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.
But looking at this list and I'm weary of our depth. Outside of Shat do we have anyone that won't make us groan if and when there's an injury to the OL this year.

Taylor not Robinson? Is that at Left Tackle? Maybe you mixed the names?
“An empty vessel makes the loudest sound, so they that have the least wit are the greatest babblers.”. - Plato

(07-05-2022, 09:48 AM)Kane Wrote: Ideally the line goes Taylor, Bartch, Fortner, Scherff, Little.

Based on the fact that you have Cam on the bench leads me to believe our depth is better than our starting LT.

(07-05-2022, 10:59 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote:

Based on the fact that you have Cam on the bench leads me to believe our depth is better than our starting LT.

Bahaha yeah I definitely meant Robinson instead of Taylor at LT.
Not sure what I was thinking there

(This post was last modified: 07-05-2022, 10:02 PM by surfon. Edited 2 times in total.)

Sobasically if we keep and not cut/trade taylor we have as backups, Taylor/lLittle loser, Shatley /Fortner loser who wont make me groan too much if either has to go in. Other backup we can try sort out in preaseason. Possibly Bartch as backup also if he doesnt step up.

(This post was last modified: 07-06-2022, 07:19 PM by OzJohnnie. Edited 2 times in total.)

(06-26-2022, 10:46 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: I think Bartch is the best lineman by season's end.

I think it's the last year of his rookie contract so it's a good bet that he'll give that goal a red hot go.

EDIT: Nope. He's in the third year of his first four-year contract.

I hope that Bartch and Fortner are able to win the LG and C positions respectfully.
Respect the game.  Play with a sense of urgency. 

1.)  Take care of the ball.  Win the turnover battle.

2.)  It's all about 3rd down.  Win on 3rd down to win the game.

3.) Playmakers make plays.  The only reason that you put your uniform on is to make plays. In order to EARN your paycheck, you must make plays.  

Learn from the great collapse of 2023.  

(07-09-2022, 08:23 PM)jagsfan06 Wrote: I hope that Bartch and Fortner are able to win the LG and C positions respectfully.

Shatley's been solid if not spectacular in relief of Linder over the past couple of seasons.  If Fortner beats him out, that's a real good thing.  Bartch beating everyone out for his position would be quite a good thing as well.

We agree to disagree on the LT position.

NH3...
"AZANE"