Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: That's one big python!
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Burmese python weighing over 200 lbs. caught in Naples, Florida: ‘Next-level snake’

Conservancy of Southwest Florida biologist Ian Bartoszek revealed why the local ecosystem is in danger

A record-breaking find has come slithering out of Naples, Florida.

A team of researchers at the Conservancy of Southwest Florida captured a 215-pound, 17.7-foot Burmese python at the beginning of the new year.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/burmes...next-snake
Oh like I haven’t heard that a million times…
Need to bring the people that hunt them from SE Asia to Florida and let them keep whatever they kill and take it back with them. They'll make a lot of money and we get rid of the snakes.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
(06-27-2022, 07:29 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Oh like I haven’t heard that a million times…

I never knew herpetology was one of your hobbies. Learn something new every day!
Female Burmese Pythons can reproduce at 4 years old. She will lay around 50 but possibly over 100 eggs per clutch and will sometimes lay them twice a year.

This is a very bad problem.
There's no getting rid of them. We have to learn to live with them like we do with the black bear or the alligator.
We are lucky that the area does not seem hospitable to reticulated pythons. Both have been released, but only the burmese pythons seem to be taking over. Burmese pythons avoid humans but reticulated pythons sometimes attack humans.
As with gators, the threat is mostly to children and pets.
(06-28-2022, 11:19 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]There's no getting rid of them. We have to learn to live with them like we do with the black bear or the alligator.
We are lucky that the area does not seem hospitable to reticulated pythons. Both have been released, but only the burmese pythons seem to be taking over. Burmese pythons avoid humans but reticulated pythons sometimes attack humans.
As with gators, the threat is mostly to children and pets.
They can get rid of them, they just don't have enough people hunting them. Same thing with alligators, they would be gone if they didn't put limits on them.

The biggest issue is hunting them also means going into gator territory. I don't like going into lakes or ponds because you know there are gators there. I know I've probably been in some potentially bad situations in a canoe in tributaries off a river with only 1-2 people around. One time saw a dead 2-3 ft one on the shore, decided that was they time to head immediately back to the river.

I wouldn't walk into the swamp for anything.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk
its already been a disaster for small sized mammals. saw something years ago where it was saying for many different species, the numbers were already down 90%. at some point you'd think the python numbers would be forced to cap out or they've have to expand territory.

Yea I'm not sure how you get rid of them at this point. I'm not sure having enough hunters is the problem. They're just too difficult to find.
(06-29-2022, 10:04 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]its already been a disaster for small sized mammals.  saw something years ago where it was saying for many different species, the numbers were already down 90%.  at some point you'd think the python numbers would be forced to cap out or they've have to expand territory.

Yea I'm not sure how you get rid of them at this point.  I'm not sure having enough hunters is the problem.  They're just too difficult to find.

Exactly.  Just because humans nearly eradicated gators doesn't mean we would be able to eradicate pythons.
[Image: raw]
(06-30-2022, 09:18 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-29-2022, 10:04 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]its already been a disaster for small sized mammals.  saw something years ago where it was saying for many different species, the numbers were already down 90%.  at some point you'd think the python numbers would be forced to cap out or they've have to expand territory.

Yea I'm not sure how you get rid of them at this point.  I'm not sure having enough hunters is the problem.  They're just too difficult to find.

Exactly.  Just because humans nearly eradicated gators doesn't mean we would be able to eradicate pythons.

They have been hunted to the endangered list in their natural habitat. While it will be harder as there are no natural predators here, it is still possible to cut their numbers down a ton. There really isn't a good plan to do it though. Same thing with all the iguana in the same areas.
(06-30-2022, 12:07 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 09:18 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Exactly.  Just because humans nearly eradicated gators doesn't mean we would be able to eradicate pythons.

They have been hunted to the endangered list in their natural habitat. While it will be harder as there are no natural predators here, it is still possible to cut their numbers down a ton. There really isn't a good plan to do it though. Same thing with all the iguana in the same areas.

We've already observed bobcats learning to eat the eggs.  Certainly other animals will learn how to eat the eggs and the young, as is already the case in Asia.  So the population of pythons may cap out and then go down, but they will never be eradicated and the original ecosystem will never be restored.
(06-30-2022, 12:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 12:07 PM)p_rushing Wrote: [ -> ]They have been hunted to the endangered list in their natural habitat. While it will be harder as there are no natural predators here, it is still possible to cut their numbers down a ton. There really isn't a good plan to do it though. Same thing with all the iguana in the same areas.

We've already observed bobcats learning to eat the eggs.  Certainly other animals will learn how to eat the eggs and the young, as is already the case in Asia.  So the population of pythons may cap out and then go down, but they will never be eradicated and the original ecosystem will never be restored.

Go Bobcats!
(06-30-2022, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 12:27 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]We've already observed bobcats learning to eat the eggs.  Certainly other animals will learn how to eat the eggs and the young, as is already the case in Asia.  So the population of pythons may cap out and then go down, but they will never be eradicated and the original ecosystem will never be restored.

Go Bobcats!

Considering the fact that there are no Jaguars native to North America, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Bobcats? I still see them occasionally when driving at night.
(06-30-2022, 04:55 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Go Bobcats!

Considering the fact that there are no Jaguars native to North America, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Bobcats?  I still see them occasionally when driving at night.

Considering the fact that we haven't fielded a competitive team in so many years, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Pussycats.
(06-30-2022, 05:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 04:55 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the fact that there are no Jaguars native to North America, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Bobcats?  I still see them occasionally when driving at night.

Considering the fact that we haven't fielded a competitive team in so many years, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Pussycats.

Could've left out the "c, a & t" ya know.
(06-30-2022, 10:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 05:48 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Considering the fact that we haven't fielded a competitive team in so many years, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Pussycats.

Could've left out the "c, a & t" ya know.

Equally appropriate would have been the Sphynx Cats, which are known for being hairless.

I also considered the Polecat, in recognition of Urba Meyer.
(06-30-2022, 04:55 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 03:18 PM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]Go Bobcats!

Considering the fact that there are no Jaguars native to North America, I wonder why we aren't the Jacksonville Bobcats?  I still see them occasionally when driving at night.

Just what I need, another Bobcat team to let me down each season.
(07-01-2022, 12:25 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-30-2022, 10:01 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Could've left out the "c, a & t" ya know.

Equally appropriate would have been the Sphynx Cats, which are known for being hairless.

More like Sphincter Cats.
(07-01-2022, 08:50 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(07-01-2022, 12:25 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Equally appropriate would have been the Sphynx Cats, which are known for being hairless.

More like Sphincter Cats.

You can say what you want about Urbs, but he knew how to get penetration into the backfield!
Pages: 1 2