Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Driest summer i can remember
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Ive been her 40 years at least in my neighborhood this has got to be one of the driest summers i can remember.

Playing hell with my lawn.  It sure seemed like it used to rain everyday almost in summers.  I have gone over a week multiple times this year with no rain.

Seems hotter also.  I grow a fair amt of vegetables also been having to water waaaay too much.
Yup.. dry as hell. I usually go out and water in the morning and let the sprinkler system hit it at dusk. We just planted a bunch of perennials, boston fern, night blooming jasmine and hibiscus (hollywood and fiesta) in and around the front yard. Hoping this heat doesn't wilt them too much..

My water bill is gonna be a bit higher this month haha
Not sure where you guys are exactly, but the driest I remember in Jax was summer of 98'. Loads of fires burning around us and very little rain. Seemed like there was a high pressure system stalled over us the entire summer.
We’ve had 47 straight days without measurable rainfall in DFW.
We got a pretty good amount of rainfall in July but before that and here in August it's pretty dry. Apparently England is experiencing record dryness as well.
(08-10-2022, 01:51 PM)surfon Wrote: [ -> ]Ive been her 40 years at least in my neighborhood this has got to be one of the driest summers i can remember.

Playing hell with my lawn.  It sure seemed like it used to rain everyday almost in summers.  I have gone over a week multiple times this year with no rain.

Seems hotter also.  I grow a fair amt of vegetables also been having to water waaaay too much.

I think it was 2011 or maybe 2012 Duval was burning down it was so dry. I used to commute back from home in the afternoon and it was 95 degrees but looked foggy from all the smoke.
In 2000 or 2001, I was on the USS Kennedy about 6 miles offshore from Mayport. There were so many fires onshore the hangar bay was full of smoke. The whole ship smelled like a campfire.
Whichever year it was, I remember work was pretty tough with the obnoxious smell of wildfires that were going on in the distance. It was kinda tough. We wore masks before it was “cool”.

This year was super dry, however the last few weeks it’s been screwing us up at work. Twice this week I’ve come home and had to take off my wet clothes from head to toe. Glad we got the rain. I know others need it though.
You guys mostly live in Jax? I'm in Savannah, and it rains almost every day. I wouldn't think that systems would differ too much with only 120 miles between us. Weird.
Here it depends how far inland. I live way out on the Westside and we get rain almost every day.
(08-10-2022, 09:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Here it depends how far inland. I live way out on the Westside and we get rain almost every day.

Yea i am about 7 or 8 miles from the ocean.  This year i have literally seen the rain go around my area like its avoiding the fat chick in the middle of the dance floor.  I hear bunches of thunder but no rain.

2000 was hot and dry but it seemed like not for so long but my memory might be fooling me.  I got like 5 inches in a week in july but nothing 10 days before it or 10 days after it seems.

Wow thats dry in dallas.

Anyways bring on some rain and jags wins i will be a hap0y camper.
(08-10-2022, 09:32 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]Here it depends how far inland. I live way out on the Westside and we get rain almost every day.

I live just on the east side of the river across from NAS, near Bolles, and all of those Westside storms come across the river and rain here, too.  We've gotten a good bit.  I think June was dry, but other than that we're getting the regular storms.
(08-10-2022, 04:52 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]Not sure where you guys are exactly, but the driest I remember in Jax was summer of 98'.  Loads of fires burning around us and very little rain.  Seemed like there was a high pressure system stalled over us the entire summer.

I remember that. Everytime I went to work I was hoping my apartment would still be there and preferably not on fire. It was a concrete block duplex but something would have still burned.

Here in south central NC it's been so hot for so many days/weeks the trees have been stressed to the limit and some are already trying to change color. The pine trees are also shedding needles and cones which never happens this time of year. Usually both occur in October. 

We get a good heavy rain about once or twice a week but the heat is more like what Duval county gets and it's been windy. It started in the spring which is normal but never let up. Really strange.
(08-10-2022, 05:03 PM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]We’ve had 47 straight days without measurable rainfall in DFW.

woof...opposite here, I can't remember the last day we didn't have rain. Makes commuting by bike an adventure, that's for sure.
(08-11-2022, 12:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]https://youtu.be/TzFnYcIqj6I

Just got home from runnin errands.. Right before we left, told the wife it was gonna rain later, she looked at me like 'yeah right'..  We set all our house plants out cause I said it was gonna rain.

Nice big down pour.. 'eryone got a drink..
(08-11-2022, 02:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2022, 12:28 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]https://youtu.be/TzFnYcIqj6I

Just got home from runnin errands.. Right before we left, told the wife it was gonna rain later, she looked at me like 'yeah right'..  We set all our house plants out cause I said it was gonna rain.

Pretty sure that was the downpour that got us soaking wet.  Around 1 or 1:30 we got dumped on by a storm coming from that way.  Had to leave and hit up Fridays route.
(08-11-2022, 05:45 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2022, 02:30 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Just got home from runnin errands.. Right before we left, told the wife it was gonna rain later, she looked at me like 'yeah right'..  We set all our house plants out cause I said it was gonna rain.

Pretty sure that was the downpour that got us soaking wet.  Around 1 or 1:30 we got dumped on by a storm coming from that way.  Had to leave and hit up Fridays route.

Yup.. dats da 1
(08-11-2022, 07:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2022, 05:45 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]Pretty sure that was the downpour that got us soaking wet.  Around 1 or 1:30 we got dumped on by a storm coming from that way.  Had to leave and hit up Fridays route.

Yup.. dats da 1

Well then keep yo [BLEEP] on your side of the river!!!
(08-11-2022, 07:49 PM)Jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(08-11-2022, 07:33 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Yup.. dats da 1

Well then keep yo [BLEEP] on your side of the river!!!

It's not my [BLEEP]!! That [BLEEP] been there forever. You mean the [BLEEP] in the river, right? Cause thats real [BLEEP] and not my [BLEEP]. Well, technically, it could be my [BLEEP]. I have city water and it smells like [BLEEP]. Probably cause [BLEEP] is recycled now, but that [BLEEP] aint real [BLEEP].
Pages: 1 2 3 4