Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cancelling Student Loans
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
This is a really bad idea.  I don't know how in hell the President has the authority to hand out half a trillion dollars like this, to selected people, without an act of Congress. 

Is there anyone on this message board who can defend this?
His base demanded it and he's giving them what they want.
It's bad that young university educated people are nearly all democrats now.
It's wild that someone who made $124,999 of income last year could be considered a welfare case. I don't mind the government helping out people who need help. But these are not that kind of people!
It's going to make the problem worse due to the moral hazard of it, now even more people will take out excess loans, and fewer people will pay off their loans.
And I don't think the President has the authority to permanently forgive government loans anyhow.
Already issued my rant in another topic.

https://www.duvalpride.com/showthread.ph...pid1478633
What? Someone is going to pay most of my student loans off? The loans I have been deferring for 20 some years? No, stop…
Again.. elections can have consequences..
All hail our new king! We live and die by his generosity.
(08-25-2022, 07:04 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]This is a really bad idea.  I don't know how in hell the President has the authority to hand out half a trillion dollars like this, to selected people, without an act of Congress. 

Is there anyone on this message board who can defend this?

The DoE absorbed the vast majority of student loans under the Obama Administration by an act of Congress. Now, as the ultimate head of the DoE, the Executive has the discretion to discharge these debts. It's not what I would do but there's plenty of evidence that he can do it.
Terrible precedent, terrible president.
I get it, this is a bad idea, and if I didn't have student loans, I would be firmly against it. But, I am not going to insist they make me pay mine if no one else has too. Besides, they are sending BILLIONS of dollars every other week to the Ukraine as a personal slush fund for the elites.. Their is a run on our treasury already, I might as well benefit a little bit... 

[Image: 12483355_0.jpg]

[Image: 6r4sel.jpg]
Ronster, sending $3B in military aid is not the same as sending $3B in cash to aid their military. Military aid comes in the form of weapons and tech, and can include cash, but mostly the former. I get so tired of people complaining about it as if we're handing over cash. Now, if people want to complain about the US sending over all the weapons and tech we seem to own that's another story. I'm sure what we're sending is not our top tier stuff. Hell, we should send them all the stuff we left in Afghanistan.

As for the student loan stuff I think it is a terrible idea. I wouldn't care who set it up, it tells people they don't have to be responsible for their debt. And that's on top of these kids already being taught from the nipple they're not responsible for anything, especially if their feelings are involved. Bad precedents are being set left and right by this administration and when the house of cards falls we are going to be in so much trouble.
Call it what it is plain and simple.  Vote buying and political payback.
All I will say is that if 20K from creepy joe will bail out anyone that received college education loans and obtained a degree that your money was not well spent. If 20 lousy K is too much for you to pay back you are obviously broke as a joke and wasted that cash and education.
(08-25-2022, 03:31 PM)Jagwired Wrote: [ -> ]All I will say is that if 20K from creepy joe will bail out anyone that received college education loans and obtained a degree that your money was not well spent. If 20 lousy K is too much for you to pay back you are obviously broke as a joke and wasted that cash and education.

It started at 65k... its all the other K's that have priority. I initially paid quite a few K's back, then all the other K's started adding up that had priority over those K's. Way to many K's to keep up with. I still owe over 20k's so don't worry, after everything is said and done, they will still get A LOT of my K's....
I remember watching a season of This Old House on PBS several years ago and they were working in partnership with Mike Rowe in trying to get kids interested in working in the trades since there is a huge shortage. The majority of skilled trades workers are aging out of the work force and there aren't enough people coming in to replace them.

I used to wonder why going to college was pushed so hard in television shows, movies and schools. Especially after the first time I heard years ago from a coworker that you don't go to college to learn a career you go for the experience. That made 100% no sense to me. Why are you going to go into that kind of debt for an experience? I understand now. They push it so they can indoctrinate you. I didn't see it for a long time and still don't want to believe it, but they're no longer even trying to hide it. They're calling it what it is.

Pushing college and ignoring the trades makes this country weaker by not giving people the chance to own their business, work for themselves, make good money and owe barely anything for learning their trade. It's definitely pushing ideas that harm this country and putting folks in the position to be bought for votes.
College is not a jobs training program, too many people think that's all education is for and it's simply not. Higher education is supposed to provide the knowledge and skills to propel society forward while also preserving our culture and history. It's not to churn out mindless drones to work in a cube farm or to be political "activists." This also reflects in the minimum educational requirements for entry level positions, too many decent occupations require college degrees that they don't really need when they're just entering the workforce.
I agree with your assessment, but you don't take out loans for self-improvement. It's an investment, and, like most investments, the goal is to profit from it. The reason the elite sent their kids to school is because that knowledge better equipped them to be future leaders in our society (which made them a lot of money). That doesn't happen today. It's a glorified summer camp for kids who are indoctrinated into leftist ideology. I have never been so mad at a policy made by a President.
(08-25-2022, 05:20 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]I agree with your assessment, but you don't take out loans for self-improvement. It's an investment, and, like most investments, the goal is to profit from it. The reason the elite sent their kids to school is because that knowledge better equipped them to be future leaders in our society (which made them a lot of money). That doesn't happen today. It's a glorified summer camp for kids who are indoctrinated into leftist ideology. I have never been so mad at a policy made by a President.

According to some, Gender Studies is an investment lolol
(08-25-2022, 04:40 PM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]I remember watching a season of This Old House on PBS several years ago and they were working in partnership with Mike Rowe in trying to get kids interested in working in the trades since there is a huge shortage. The majority of skilled trades workers are aging out of the work force and there aren't enough people coming in to replace them.

I used to wonder why going to college was pushed so hard in television shows, movies and schools. Especially after the first time I heard years ago from a coworker that you don't go to college to learn a career you go for the experience. That made 100% no sense to me. Why are you going to go into that kind of debt for an experience? I understand now. They push it so they can indoctrinate you. I didn't see it for a long time and still don't want to believe it, but they're no longer even trying to hide it. They're calling it what it is.

Pushing college and ignoring the trades makes this country weaker by not giving people the chance to own their business, work for themselves, make good money and owe barely anything for learning their trade. It's definitely pushing ideas that harm this country and putting folks in the position to be bought for votes.

I haven't been enrolled at any university for 12 years, and they were both public and both in Florida, but I have to disagree HARD with the idea that its about indoctrination.  I took engineering classes.  Other than the psych class I had to take as a Gen Ed, there was literally zero content with any kind of social or political angle at all. I had friends who were English majors, History majors, and political science majors.  All of them were politically conservative and remain so today.  None of them reported that they were subjected to pressure to "convert" politically.  

I mean there is no denying that certain universities have developed reputations as super liberal places, and those reputations get reinforced by students and professors that are already liberal choosing to go there over the years.  But most universities aren't like that.  

I agree that the media and entertainment have massively normalized a "you've failed if you don't go to college" attitude.  But I think they may have been following the lead of the masses, rather than leading.  The de-industrialization of America starting in the mid 1980s said that the jobs of yesterday wouldn't be available for the workers of tomorrow. Parents saw this and believed it and warned their kids accordingly.  And the prophesy has proven true, even though many of the new jobs ended up not really needing college.  

So yes, we as a country could have reacted better to these pressures, but, it wasn't about indoctrination. 

Also, I've helped hire people and I'm friends with recruiters.  It's true that there are many jobs saying they require a degree when there's nothing in the job duties to suggest you needed that degree.  But what these managers are really saying, in many cases, is they don't want 18 year olds to apply.  You can't come out and say that in a job post, of course, but that's what they mean.
I still think if your going down this road it should be tied to social security.

If you write off or cancel 20k in student loans deduct 20k from social security paid to that individual at retirement. That would lighten the demand on social security in the future, provide this "relief" they're claiming is needed and not cost the tax payers anything long term. Think of it as an advance on social security applied to their loans. In reality most of them won't see a dime of social security but pay into it most of there working lives anyway.

But the way it's being done now, hard no bad idea. And I have student loans I'm paying on. It'll cost me more in inflation then they're forgiving in the long run.
(08-25-2022, 05:02 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]College is not a jobs training program, too many people think that's all education is for and it's simply not. Higher education is supposed to provide the knowledge and skills to propel society forward while also preserving our culture and history. It's not to churn out mindless drones to work in a cube farm or to be political "activists." This also reflects in the minimum educational requirements for entry level positions, too many decent occupations require college degrees that they don't really need when they're just entering the workforce.

I get what you're saying. That's what higher education was about. It still is to a degree but now it's mostly about indoctrination. 

Education allows people to make informed decisions. Indoctrination decides for the people- they just don't know it, or don't care.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6