Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on the season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
After this Broncos game we're nearly halfway through and barring any kind of midseason improvement it feels like we all have a pretty good idea what this team is.  A few thoughts....

We have zero big time playmakers on this team that make game winning plays late.  Our defense just absolutely folds late in games when you need them to make a stop.  We just don't have any special elite talent on our defense.  When we scored with under 4 minutes to go to take the lead, that should have been the game winner.  But you just knew the Broncos would march down the field.  Was just a matter of how quickly and how easily they could do so.  It's almost like you go into these situations knowing we need to put together back to back game winning drives because our defense just isn't going to hold whatever lead you get them.  

I don't like Doug's passing game.  Part of it is personal preference.  I've always enjoyed watching teams that run physically and throw deep.  And I've always disliked the short west coast passing attack.  Didn't like watching the Niners do it under Bill Walsh and all the versions of the west coast that has come from it.  Obviously it can be very effective with the right players.  I don't think this type of offense is ideal for a QB like Lawrence.  And not having a reliable pure TE threat really limits it as well.  We are stuck relying on too many quick bubble screens.  And few if any big plays result from it.  The biggest problem in my mind though is how we have to essentially dink and dunk our way down the field.  And one missed throw or dropped pass or offensive penalty puts us behind script and it is so much harder to convert.  The offense just isn't designed to make up just one miss.  Late in this Broncos game I could sworn I saw a stat that said our average 3rd down distance was 9 yards.  Not many offenses can function that way but especially this one.  Big plays aren't in the design of this offense.  And Lawrence isn't designed for it.  I'm sure there will be a lot of criticism on him today and I'll talk about him more in a second.  But he isn't accurate enough to consistently dink and dunk you down the field.  He is much more accurate this year than last with these quick bubble screens, slant patterns, outs, etc... but he isn't going to hit on 10/10 of these.  He is going to miss a couple of them and now all of a sudden the offense is in huge peril with just one miss.  I was watching the Chiefs the other night and they had a 2nd and 15th, Mahomes threw a terribly missed pass on a wide open WR.  3rd and 15 we'd be done.  Bubble screen or delayed draw hoping for a big play but conceding a punt.  Chiefs throw 20 yards down the field and easily convert on 3rd down.  Think it was Kelce and he was fairly open so not a hard throw for Mahomes.  Now obviously we don't have Kelce but the point is when Mahomes misses an easy completion, it's not like the whole drive is in danger.  They can overcome because they push the ball down the field.  I watch enough NFL games to see the best QBs missing easy throws all the time.  But their offenses overcome because they push the ball down the field.  Yes you can argue we don't have WRs that are a threat down the field.  We clearly don't have a TE that draws attention in the middle of the field.  But it's not part of our offensive gameplan either.  This offense just doesn't allow for mistakes.  It's just too difficult to overcome.  And it is so maddening.  

Lawrence.  All I care about is us finding a QB that can lead us to a super bowl.  I'd like for it to be him because he is already here.  But if it's not him, I don't care other than I'd prefer not to do this all over again looking for another guy.  I don't feel like I have to take stance on him and stick with it regardless of how he plays. Now I don't engage in these boards as often as I used to but I'm sure there are a bunch of people here ready to move on.  I'm not yet.  Still have him under contract and he has a lot of talent.  I'd rather stick with him for another two years and him not be the guy than to give up on him at the end of season, see another coach maximize his ability and turn him into a consistent top 10 QB.  Nothing would be more jaguar than to have a future franchise QB but to give up on him too early.  Now saying all that it does feel like he just doesn't have that kind of off-script magic that you need to make big plays in big moments.  Now admittedly we have seen him this year make plays late in a game to drive the team on a should be game winning touchdown (the Colts game) only to see the defense collapse.  But that felt like more of anomaly than the norm.  We don't often see him make a play or a drive late where he has to create these magical off script moments to win games.  Those 2 minute drives and redzone possessions he just really lacks something.  I guess you can just call it the "it" factor.  I don't know.  We tend to think some people have it and others dont.  Maybe it is something that can be developed with more experience.  I'm still rooting for him to be the guy but he desperately needs to improve in those two situations.  

Season feels over at this point.  Today was pretty close to a must win.  Probably need to be 9-8 at worst to make playoffs.  need to go 7-2 the rest of the way.  Not happening.  Most years I just want to get to December and be playing meaningful games.  Don't think we'll get there.  Now in the same tired place of just wanting to see improvement.
That’s a good write up

All I can say is, imagine watching the same exact team for the last 5 years
We need a good QB and a good DC.
bye the time season ends jags will be tieing one record,and breaking another.   tieing the panthers with a 15 game loseing streak in same season,and being  first team ever to get #1 pick 3 years in a row.
(10-30-2022, 02:59 PM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]We need a good QB and a good DC.

This is where I'm at.

I still think Trevor has it in him to be a "good" NFL QB.   His decision making has to improve a lot though.

Still think the team desperately needs a great #1 receiver to relieve pressure from Trevor as well as a Patrick Surtain II type corner that can cover AND tackle hard.
Draft talk in november... AGAIN
(10-30-2022, 03:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Draft talk in november... AGAIN

Still a day left in October buddy!! Draft talk in October is the most Jags thing ever.
(10-30-2022, 03:21 PM)jj82284 Wrote: [ -> ]Draft talk in november... AGAIN

"October"
Exciting start,

Normal activities have now resumed
Today is an excellent day for this topic following the Jaguars' 5th consecutive exasperating defeat. Prior to game 1, my expectations for this team were very positive due to the promise of the new acquisitions on the roster and coaching staff. I expected a slow start due to the natural "growing pains" when a roster and coaching staff experiences such a dramatic turnover rate. I predicted the team would win 6-8 games, but get much better as the season progressed.

This season has gone nothing like I expected. The wins over the Chargers and Colts gave our fanbase an unreasonable amount of expectations. In hindsight, both those teams were missing several key players but the Jaguars did play extremely well in both games. The subsequent 5 losses have been the most frustrating consecutive losses in team history. We have undoubtably played much worse during previous losing streaks, but our expectations were low due to terrible rosters and poor coaching (mostly Gus and Meyer). Most would agree that losing a close game is harder to take than a blowout and every one of the 5 losses was very close. I believe the Jaguars roster was equal to or better than all 5 teams with the exception of the Chargers, who were playing without several key players and with a quarterback at about 70%. We could easily point to 1 or 2 "boneheaded" plays primarily responsible for each loss. What would the record be without Travon Walker's 2 roughing penalties, Lawrence's unexplainable interceptions (especially today on 1st and goal at the one) and Etienne's dropped passes at the most inopportune times?

After today's heartbreak, I decided to take a week off from everything Jaguars (except this site which allows me to vent). I won't be watching the game next Sunday which is a first in 27 seasons, 25 of which I was a season ticket holder. Losing to a bad Raiders' team who got blown out today would seriously threaten my mental health! Of course, I will still watch the Red Zone next week and hope the Jaguars can beat the Raiders. I only see 2 potential "winnable" games going forward (Raiders and Texans), although Detroit is pretty bad, also. It will be interesting to see how the locker-room handles another painful loss. I don't see this team quitting, but the lack of success can't help but lower their confidence. This especially applies to Lawrence. I don't agree with those who have already labeled him as a bust since he is only in his 2nd year and 1st with a good coaching staff. He has improved this season, but the interceptions and overthrows must be corrected if he is to become a quarterback that can eventually lead this team to the "promised land." It is anyone's guess whether he can learn from his mistakes and not let all this adversity destroy his confidence for the future.
(10-30-2022, 09:49 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Today is an excellent day for this topic following the Jaguars' 5th consecutive exasperating defeat. Prior to game 1, my expectations for this team were very positive due to the promise of the new acquisitions on the roster and coaching staff. I expected a slow start due to the natural "growing pains" when a roster and coaching staff experiences such a dramatic turnover rate. I predicted the team would win 6-8 games, but get much better as the season progressed.

This season has gone nothing like I expected. The wins over the Chargers and Colts gave our fanbase an unreasonable amount of expectations. In hindsight, both those teams were missing several key players but the Jaguars did play extremely well in both games. The subsequent 5 losses have been the most frustrating consecutive losses in team history. We have undoubtably played much worse during previous losing streaks, but our expectations were low due to terrible rosters and poor coaching (mostly Gus and Meyer). Most would agree that losing a close game is harder to take than a blowout and every one of the 5 losses was very close. I believe the Jaguars roster was equal to or better than all 5 teams with the exception of the Chargers, who were playing without several key players and with a quarterback at about 70%. We could easily point to 1 or 2 "boneheaded" plays primarily responsible for each loss. What would the record be without Travon Walker's 2 roughing penalties, Lawrence's unexplainable interceptions (especially today on 1st and goal at the one) and Etienne's dropped passes at the most inopportune times?

After today's heartbreak, I decided to take a week off from everything Jaguars (except this site which allows me to vent). I won't be watching the game next Sunday which is a first in 27 seasons, 25 of which I was a season ticket holder. Losing to a bad Raiders' team who got blown out today would seriously threaten my mental health! Of course, I will still watch the Red Zone next week and hope the Jaguars can beat the Raiders. I only see 2 potential "winnable" games going forward (Raiders and Texans), although Detroit is pretty bad, also. It will be interesting to see how the locker-room handles another painful loss. I don't see this team quitting, but the lack of success can't help but lower their confidence. This especially applies to Lawrence. I don't agree with those who have already labeled him as a bust since he is only in his 2nd year and 1st with a good coaching staff. He has improved this season, but the interceptions and overthrows must be corrected if he is to become a quarterback that can eventually lead this team to the "promised land." It is anyone's guess whether he can learn from his mistakes and not let all this adversity destroy his confidence for the future.

You see 2 winnable games? That’s what everybody said the Texans were, then they said the colts game we should win. Then everybody said the Giants was winnable. Then they said the Broncos was a winnable game. 

At some point, you have to realize what you have at QB. A knucklehead that throws ints on the goal line on 1st down. We could have prime Jerry Rice and prime Gronk and Lawrence is still throwing back breaking interceptions. 

He literally cannot throw on the run. He can’t even throw a basic Hail Mary. Flail Mary. Lawrence is pretty much done as a starter in this league. He is the direct reason why we lost the Philly game, Texans game, and the Denver game.
Thoughts on this season

Google the [BLEEP] it all song

That sums it up for me
(10-30-2022, 10:46 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]
(10-30-2022, 09:49 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]Today is an excellent day for this topic following the Jaguars' 5th consecutive exasperating defeat. Prior to game 1, my expectations for this team were very positive due to the promise of the new acquisitions on the roster and coaching staff. I expected a slow start due to the natural "growing pains" when a roster and coaching staff experiences such a dramatic turnover rate. I predicted the team would win 6-8 games, but get much better as the season progressed.

You see 2 winnable games? That’s what everybody said the Texans were, then they said the colts game we should win. Then everybody said the Giants was winnable. Then they said the Broncos was a winnable game. 

At some point, you have to realize what you have at QB. A knucklehead that throws ints on the goal line on 1st down. We could have prime Jerry Rice and prime Gronk and Lawrence is still throwing back breaking interceptions. 

He literally cannot throw on the run. He can’t even throw a basic Hail Mary. Flail Mary. Lawrence is pretty much done as a starter in this league. He is the direct reason why we lost the Philly game, Texans game, and the Denver game.

LOL So much non sense in this post it's actually comedy gold.
Thoughts on the season? 2 words: Not surprised.

One thing I've learned with this team after all these years is this: they don't deserve my expectations or emotional investment. I simply refuse to let any aspect of my emotional well-being have to do with this football team. I've got enough real life stuff to deal with, I'm sure we all do. We may be good sometimes, but most of the time, we're probably going to suck. Therefore, I have no expectations, and couldn't care less. I don't even end up watching half of the games usually. It is what it is. I'll always be a fan, don't get that twisted. I just refuse to be disappointed year after year. I don't care much anymore.
This team needs an enema. Full send.
(10-31-2022, 12:13 AM)americus 2.0 Wrote: [ -> ]This team needs an enema. Full send.

Haven't you realized it? It doesn't matter what we change. We get the same results.

This is an ownership issue, and nothing else. The mediocrity seen under Mr. Wayne doesn't even come close to the train-wreck that has occurred under Mr. Shad's ownership. He is an absent owner and doesn't care. His son doesn't know a damn thing either. This is where the issues stem from.
1. Not enough true All-Pro playmakers on offense or defense. Kirk, Jones, and Engram are solid guys who are definitely better than the guys on the field last few years. But Jags may have been better going after a Brown/Tyreek.

2. Too many of the 'good not great guys" are getting paid too much. For a team without playmakers, the team is paying way too much for "good players". You can get away with that if you have some DPOY candidates or a MVP/OPOY guy on your team, but other wise those guys should really be on rookie/1st time contracts and not taking up so much of the cap.

3. Lawrence is too inaccurate and bone headed plays. He still has a Matt Ryan ceiling, but he needs a scheme and elite playmakers around him to be elite. I'm not sure on Pederson's scheme right now. I will say, as much as this is a learning year for Lawrence, it is also a learning year for the coaches to really figure out what they have in him and where he can truly excel. Plus there is not way any of them get let go after 1 year again. The franchise can't deal with that level of scrutiny of not giving coaches more than 1 year again. This manifests itself most in 2 minute drives and red zone.

4. Defense full of great athletes without technical prowess (Walker/Campbell), or reasonable technical guys who just don't have the pure skills to prevent big plays (Herndon). Maybe they are still very young, some put it both together, but they need a lot more talent next year in the secondary, and a lot of offseason growth.
I don't know what to think at this point. Our QB is inaccurate and exercises poor judgment at times. Our defense can't stop anyone when the game is on the line.

And yet- we are coming so close to winning every week. There has been only one game where I thought we were overmatched, and we had a chance to win that one.
As soon as Trevor thee that pick on the goal line I knew the game we lost. I was screaming for him to throw it away. I can’t believe that decision. Cost us the game.
(10-31-2022, 04:32 AM)TownCenterJag Wrote: [ -> ]As soon as Trevor thee that pick on the goal line I knew the game we lost. I was screaming for him to throw it away.  I can’t believe that decision.  Cost us the game.

However, Doug needs to stop calling the roll outs inside the red zone.

Trevor is already pretty good at avoid sacks. What Trever has been poor with is throwing a ball in tight space and small zones, which is the red zone; especially because he does not have an elite arm that Trevor sometimes thinks he does. 

Forcing him into a rollout that already takes away have the field to work with and makes those plays harder for him, and puts him in position to make this mistakes. 

I also wonder if having more plays under center would be helpful in the red zone, but that seems like an off season to work on.
Pages: 1 2 3