Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: What changed defensively?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
From the past few weeks to even the first half of this past week the defense was getting gashed. Anyone see what changed?

I'm admittedly no expert of defensive alignments. I notice Walker was playing with his hand in the dirt off the edge more and had more success. Tha pass rush was getting home more in general which of course helped with turnovers.

Anyone else notice any differences schematically or was it a lot more of just players executing better?
Other people that watch more football than I.... said Detroit's Oline is better than what we would face in the Titans.
I also noticed Travon in coverage at some points. He made a few good plays out there too.
(12-14-2022, 02:31 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Other people that watch more football than I.... said Detroit's Oline is better than what we would face in the Titans.
Detroit has a top 3 Oline to go along with possibly the best young tackle in football. Goff has all day to throw back there which is why he looks so good this year.
The opponents..
tacks oline is banged up

Jags played more 4-3 looks up front and more cover 2 in the back
(12-14-2022, 02:31 PM)MoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]Other people that watch more football than I.... said Detroit's Oline is better than what we would face in the Titans.

(12-14-2022, 02:36 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
Detroit has a top 3 Oline to go along with possibly the best young tackle in football. Goff has all day to throw back there which is why he looks so good this year.

(12-14-2022, 02:43 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]The opponents..

Fair. Just curious if there was more to it than JUST that. We've sucked against sub par OLs before
For me it was pretty obvious what happened. You go back to the clots loss on the road where Matt Ryan had a career day. We live in a copycat league. When a team finds something to exploit and it's successful the rest of the league takes notice and will do the same exact thing until you can prove you can stop it or have made adjustments to make it less effective against you.

Crossing routes were killing this team. Lloyd was exposed more than anybody. He was exposed to the point to where he was benched in favor of Muma. Has Muma been better? Well, I can't really say yes or no but it can be argued that he made Olukon's life a lot less miserable playing next to him.

The other challenge is just an overall failure of getting to the QB with our base front three and/or four at times. Walker playing inside improved our chances of getting to the QB. This is something he did at Georgia and it's something they need to continue doing this year if they're serious about making a run late this month. When Muma is healthy and back inside I want to see Lloyd pushed over to weakside. That's where he belongs.

He's a natural over there. In 300 some odd pass rushing snaps at Utah he managed to sack the QB 17 times. That's a fairly solid number to work with. I already cited my views on Lloyd and Walker in another thread but it boiled down to me wanting to know what Baalke and his scouting department saw in conjunction wit Caldwell and his defensive staff that made them feel confident and/or like the smartest people in the room to play two naturally gifted athletes outside of their natural positions coming out of college.

That's unusual in the NFL. You don't typically take players that clearly excelled at something in the NCAA, only to have them come up to the highest level of this sport to do something completely different. I mean. We clearly do. Because we do, for whatever stupid [BLEEP] reason. My belief is that you stick to what you know they can do and then you add in new wrinkles after they show it during practice or show it during film study.

Caldwell and Co. and/or Baalke Co. [BLEEP] the bed with these two first round picks this year. It's clear as day to see now.
they did some switching up.

Travon with a 3 point stance
Williams outside
Tre Herndon Nickle

those were the big difference and between the tacks messing up plays we took advantage of it.

ideally I'd like to see Lloyd replaced by Muma and Cisco on the field.
Nothing , still is bad, there Oline was jst worse
(12-14-2022, 03:52 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]they did some switching up.

Williams outside
Tre Herndon Nickle

those were the big difference and between the tacks messing up plays we took advantage of it.

Cisco was hurt

He'll be back this week.

Lloyd was better at times but lost at others. So if Muma is healthy before Sunday - it will be interesting to see who is out there. 

The CB group should stay the same IMO  - but I worry about Williams this week. He hasn't lived up to expectations and still looks easily beaten at times. 

Ultimately - this defense would have to force several turnovers again to have much of a chance vs dallas IMO. 

I doubt we catch lightning in a bottle twice like that.
Remember after week 3 we were talking about Devin Lloyd being maybe DROY for how difficult he made Justin Herbert's job? Then his play fell off a cliff in the Colts game and stayed there. Was he in the wrong position all along? Just no one was able to take advantage of it before the Colts? That doesn't sound likely. Offensive coordinators go after opposing rookies regardless
(12-14-2022, 04:50 PM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]Remember after week 3 we were talking about Devin Lloyd being maybe DROY for how difficult he made Justin Herbert's job? Then his play fell off a cliff in the Colts game and stayed there.  Was he in the wrong position all along? Just no one was able to take advantage of it before the Colts? That doesn't sound likely.  Offensive coordinators go after opposing rookies regardless

It takes a few games for coordinators to ID trends in opposing players' behavior. Gotta get it on tape. 

Once one OC exposed Lloyd's willingness to get out of gap with pre snap motion and exposed his tendency to be moved out of position on shallow crossing routes in coverage - the floodgates opened. 

Then the kid started second guessing everything he was doing and it got even worse.
I think the difference is the fact that Detroit has a much more wide open offense, sometimes going 4 and 5 wide whereas the Titans run a very basis tight formation. Defenses have to game plan more for open offenses and have to be more in sync with one another. Our young defense is better suited for the Titans basic offense.
i think having Muma beside Olukaun helps alot. and having Cisco with Jenkins or Cisco with WInguard helps alot as Cisco is very good.

williams isn't a great CB this year but better than Brown,Herndon as he is faster. and hopefully we can shadow Lamb with Campbell.

if walker doesn't play do we put Key in his place or Chaisson

would having Wingard over Jenkins have any benefits as we know Jenkins hasn't been a great cover Safety either. Wingard seems to bring the Energy and showing some leadership on the team.
(12-14-2022, 05:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I think the difference is the fact that Detroit has a much more wide open offense, sometimes going 4 and 5 wide whereas the Titans run a very basis tight formation.  Defenses have to game plan more for open offenses and have to be more in sync with one another.  Our young defense is better suited for the Titans basic offense.

I know 3-4 or 4-3 is an overrated discussion since most plays are in nickel but I still wonder if we would be better if we used a 4-3 as the base alignment. It does look like we were better when we moved players a bit. 

The important thing is probably to think about what types of players Walker and Lloyd and veterans such as Allen are and adjust accordingly. Now it looks like it's the other way round.
(12-14-2022, 06:33 PM)CanDoBetter Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 05:22 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]I think the difference is the fact that Detroit has a much more wide open offense, sometimes going 4 and 5 wide whereas the Titans run a very basis tight formation.  Defenses have to game plan more for open offenses and have to be more in sync with one another.  Our young defense is better suited for the Titans basic offense.

I know 3-4 or 4-3 is an overrated discussion since most plays are in nickel but I still wonder if we would be better if we used a 4-3 as the base alignment. It does look like we were better when we moved players a bit. 

The important thing is probably to think about what types of players Walker and Lloyd and veterans such as Allen are and adjust accordingly. Now it looks like it's the other way round.

Right.  Adjust the scheme to fit the players.  But coaches believe in their schemes more than they believe in maximizing their players most times.
(12-14-2022, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 03:52 PM)icey14 Wrote: [ -> ]they did some switching up.

Williams outside
Tre Herndon Nickle

Cisco was hurt

He'll be back this week.

Lloyd was better at times but lost at others. So if Muma is healthy before Sunday - it will be interesting to see who is out there. 

The CB group should stay the same IMO  - but I worry about Williams this week. He hasn't lived up to expectations and still looks easily beaten at times. 

Ultimately - this defense would have to force several turnovers again to have much of a chance vs dallas IMO. 

Tho they switched him to outside like he shoulda been all along and it paid off. Those other guys we had out their got burnt deep too often.
It's Dewey! He's on fire!
(12-14-2022, 07:39 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-14-2022, 04:26 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Cisco was hurt

He'll be back this week.

Tho they switched him to outside like he shoulda been all along and it paid off. Those other guys we had out their got burnt deep too often.

We'll see if it pays off. Williams got off easy twice on poor throws from Tannehill when he was beaten. 

Not convinced yet that it's as simple as moving him outside. We'll see.
Pages: 1 2