Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Frangie
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Is Frangie the worst announcer in the NFL?

Just listened to the radio replay from yesterday.  He’s unlistenable (did I just make up a word?).  Similar to a high school announcer.

I miss the days of Brian Sexton and Matt Robinson.  

*Would love to know what TL said to DAL defender after long completion before FG.  Just saw Sports Center replay, he said something....
No. Not even close, imo..... collinsworth is the worst. "And what we have here isssss........ a QB that took the snap, then turned around, and handed it off to a RB. That RB gets tackled after gaining yards, and ended up with an ankle. Could be serious.".

Joe Buck is pretty bad at times too.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk
(12-19-2022, 02:14 PM)raptor6581 Wrote: [ -> ]No. Not even close, imo..... collinsworth is the worst. "And what we have here isssss........ a QB that took the snap, then turned around, and handed it off to a RB. That RB gets tackled after gaining yards, and ended up with an ankle. Could be serious.".

Joe Buck is pretty bad at times too.

Sent from my SM-A136U using Tapatalk

Collinsworth's nasally voice is really annoying. He sounds like he's whining every time he opens his mouth.
I'd vote that hillbilly calling Tacks games high on a 'worst of' list. Of course, that's probably part and parcel of my hate for anything Tacks.

As for Frangie, he sounds better to me as the years go by. Maybe that's just the comfort of familiarity. Tho he tends to get real whiny and high pitched when he gets overly excited. Sort of like an announcers version of the big 'O'.
Frangie isn't the best but certainly not the worst. You should listen to some of the other teams' announcers. Frangie did start off really poorly but has worked to improve his game. He's still not great, a lot of the excitement factor seems forced sometimes even if it's not. Also a little bit of screeching drifts in occasionally but his actual calls are ok. I've gotten to where I actually think I prefer him to Sexton who was mechanical and totally unoriginal.
J.P. Shadrick should get the job.
(12-19-2022, 02:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]J.P. Shadrick should get the job.

Love him.  The best part IMO about him is his deadpan sense of humour, which he most likely would have to leave in the parking garage when doing Jags broadcasts.  Never heard him do any Jumbo Crustacean games.
(12-19-2022, 02:41 PM)NewJagsCity Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2022, 02:35 PM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]J.P. Shadrick should get the job.

Love him.  The best part IMO about him is his deadpan sense of humour, which he most likely would have to leave in the parking garage when doing Jags broadcasts.  Never heard him do any Jumbo Crustacean games.

He does work with Westwood One radio. I heard him call an Ohio State game a few weeks ago and he does a good job of it. He’s worthy.
Frangie is horrendous. I’ve noticed recently he’s created the catch phrase for himself of “How good is that?”. Maybe he’s had that all along, but I’m just now picking up on it. Anyway, it’s terrible as well. He’s so bad. Bob Lamey (sp?) might’ve been the only one more annoying.
This is going way way way back, but does anyone remember Ray Scott? He called games in the 60's and 70's for Green Bay and CBS, among others. He had this really minimalist style that probably wouldn't work in today's broadcasting environment, for a number of reasons.

Imagine a play where Trevor throws a TD to Zay Jones. Here's how Scott would have called it.

"Lawrence...........to Jones...........Touchdown".

He basically let the play speak for itself. Now, there have been some great plays over the years where the call helped cement the play in history , and every broadcaster certainly wants to have an iconic call in their career, but it's also good sometimes for the broadcaster to just get out of the way and let the play do the talking. Of course, I'm only referring to TV broadcasts here.
Honestly, I enjoy listening to all the dudes. Except for the guy that was like "I'd rather have a hat instead of a T-shirt" That guy sounds like all the idiot highschool kids I've ever had to deal with in my entire life. Hopefully he'll be promoted to a more important role outside public opinion.
Frangie is the worst and it's actually kind of embarrassing listening to him on the nationally televised replays in which he's calling a big play. Sexton was much better but for some reason Khan chose Frangie when 1010xl became the radio station of the Jaguars.
I like Frank's calls hes the man
I got weird questions like, where do you fill out an application for an announcer job?

What would your resume need to look like? I mean, if you sound good and know football, what’s stopping you.

Asking for a friend
I couldn't STAND him after he took over for Sexton. A lot of people didn't like Sexton, but I really enjoyed him. Frangie sounds like he has marbles in his mouth. He's okay now though, maybe I've just gotten used to him.
(12-19-2022, 04:17 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I got weird questions like, where do you fill out an application for an announcer job?

What would your resume need to look like? I mean, if you sound good and know football, what’s stopping you.

Asking for a friend

You go work at a radio or TV station or you start doing it while you're in broadcasting school. Most communications and journalism majors have an opportunity to go down that path. Your resume would be journalism, public relations, marketing or something similar. Example, Jags regular Andrew Catalon started out in newscasts and moved into college sports then kept branching out into other sports and leagues.

OR you could be like Frangie and have your buddy the station owner pay the big bucks to get you the gigs.
(12-19-2022, 04:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2022, 04:17 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]I got weird questions like, where do you fill out an application for an announcer job?

Asking for a friend

You go work at a radio or TV station or you start doing it while you're in broadcasting school. Most communications and journalism majors have an opportunity to go down that path. Your resume would be journalism, public relations, marketing or something similar. Example, Jags regular Andrew Catalon started out in newscasts and moved into college sports then kept branching out into other sports and leagues.

OR you could be like Frangie and have your buddy the station owner pay the big bucks to get you the gigs.

Lol ... Great response.  I was wondering where you were going with the 1st paragraph !!!     

.... my response would have gotten me a double warning on this message board.
At least it isn't Elisabeth Mowins, ESPN forces on us all. My wife always says, Ugh change the channel.
(12-19-2022, 04:59 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-19-2022, 04:51 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]You go work at a radio or TV station or you start doing it while you're in broadcasting school. Most communications and journalism majors have an opportunity to go down that path. Your resume would be journalism, public relations, marketing or something similar. Example, Jags regular Andrew Catalon started out in newscasts and moved into college sports then kept branching out into other sports and leagues.

Lol ... Great response.  I was wondering where you were going with the 1st paragraph !!!     

.... my response would have gotten me a double warning on this message board.

Well...there's the hard way, the expensive way, and that one other way that's fallen out of favor in the Era of #metoo.
At least it's just radio. God knows he's got the face for it.

Terrible, bring Sexton back please.
Pages: 1 2 3