Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Extend Marvin Jones Jr.? (merged threads)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
He’s our #3… 
And with Ridley coming next year plus some draft pick, it seems like this is our last year with him.

Should we consider resigning him? He’s solid, still.

I would give him another 1 year deal and see if he takes it.  He’s come up with some very big catches this year.
Yes, but I'm not sure if it's likely. Hopefully he wants to come back to the jags, and the jags sign him. This wr core will be so stacked next season, and that means the jags can focus on improving other areas.
Yes. Without question. The reality is that we would love to have them ALL back next year. Right?

Engram at TE, Jones at WR and Taylor at RT. This team is special. These guys have all helped along the way.

Marvin knows more than anybody having been here with Urban Miller last year. Hopefully these guys are willing to come back at a decent price.

Hopefully Baalke gets something worked out. Marvin is clutch. Lawrence loves him in big moments. You can't put a value on that, but, that's not how the NFL works.

Fingers crossed. Lets see how these next three games go. Let's see if they can sneak into the play off's and maybe make some noise.

Culture has changed here. These guys are banding together like brothers. Buying into one another and it's clear they're rallying and feeding off each other. The good, the bad and the ugly.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(12-19-2022, 11:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Without question. The reality is that we would love to have them ALL back next year. Right?

Engram at TE, Jones at WR and Taylor at RT. This team is special. These guys have all helped along the way.

Marvin knows more than anybody having been here with Urban Miller last year. Hopefully these guys are willing to come back at a decent price.

Hopefully Baalke gets something worked out. Marvin is clutch. Lawrence loves him in big moments. You can't put a value on that, but, that's not how the NFL works.

Fingers crossed. Lets see how these next three games go. Let's see if they can sneak into the play off's and maybe make some noise.

Culture has changed here. These guys are banding together like brothers. Buying into one another and it's clear they're rallying and feeding off each other. The good, the bad and the ugly.

There are so many players that I think we should keep.  Marvin Jones is absolutely one of them...  I hope we can work out a deal.  But if we were to let him go, we'd save 3 million off our cap.  I hate to say it, but they might let him go to save money elsewhere.  We're in a rough spot with the salary cap.  No matter who says that the salary cap is a myth, it's not.  And Marvin Jones is example 1 of that.

Obviously, he's so reliable that it would be best to keep him.  But cutting him gives us more cap space to keep others that Baalke might think is more valuable.  It really sucks.  But that's how it's looking right now.
If ridley comes back and is 3/4ths of what he was then there's not really any snaps to be had for marvin barring injury. My guess is he will want to go somewhere where he can contribute. I also believe the team will draft a wr in the first few rounds to compete with zay for the outside receiving spot across from ridley.
with Ridley it would be

Ridley/Zay on the outside
Kirk Inside
Marvin would be #4
Engram resigned for TE is priority i believe
Little will move into RT

this offence can be very special.
(12-19-2022, 11:27 AM)SuperJville Wrote: [ -> ]He’s our #3… 
And with Ridley coming next year plus some draft pick, it seems like this is our last year with him.

Should we consider resigning him? He’s solid, still.

I would give him another 1 year deal and see if he takes it.  He’s come up with some very big catches this year.

considering age and where he sits on the depth chart, I don't know that he'd take a discount to stay here. He might want to get the cash while he still can.

If he offers to stay for vet minimum, I might see what I could do to fit him in. Otherwise, he's probably a casualty. I get that he's a wise vet and you need those on a young crew, but Kirk, Zay and Ridley all have plenty of experience and don't need that type of on-field leadership.
As our #4 he has little value since he'll rarely be on the field. He doesn't play Teams either so that's a problem, that #4 needs to be out there. I like him but even at vet minimum he won't play enough to be worth the cost. He's moving on.
Marvin with his usual 33. But man they are normally a big 33. He goes up to get the ball like it’s his last catch everytime.

Starting to love the dude
Marvin's great but with the addition of Ridley, Tim Jones and probably a draft pick being in the conversation, he may get caught up in a numbers game.
(12-19-2022, 05:31 PM)MarleyJag Wrote: [ -> ]Marvin's great but with the addition of Ridley, Tim Jones and probably a draft pick being in the conversation, he may get caught up in a numbers game.

Yep. I’m thinking this too. Tim Jones sitting there waiting on his time…
I've noticed Tim Jones getting some playing time recently and hes averaging around 12 snaps per game on Offense over the last few weeks.

Obviously Zay and Kirk are the top 2 with Marv coming in at #3, but I love the fact that they're working him into things a little bit. He had a big hand in helping Zay score one of his TDs on Sunday.
I'd love to keep him as a really good #4. Depends on the money tho. He's always clutch and you has glue on his hands.
(12-19-2022, 11:37 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yes. Without question. The reality is that we would love to have them ALL back next year. Right?

ALL?

No.

But I love the way this team has developed/is developing under Pederson...not just on the field but in the locker room.  The chemistry seems really good.  The players seem to love playing for Pederson, and they all seem to genuinely support each other.

There are a whole lot of players I would be saddened to see go.
I find it very unlikely that MJJ is resigned.  Even assuming we don't draft someone, we will have Ridley, Zay and Kirk as our main three.  We have Agnew for special teams and to serve as a fourth receiver.  For 5th and 6th receivers, most teams either want someone who plays special teams or is a young player that they hope may develop for the future.  MJJ doesn't fit that role.  I wish him well, but I think he is all but gone.
I’m not even sure if he’d be Our 4. Agnew May get more touches than he would in his gadget role.
MJJ has been a critical guy to have on the roster for Trevor's development, but as many have already noted, there probably isn't a place for him on the roster next year with the cap situation being what it is. If the cap weren't an issue, I'd definitely try to keep him around as the fourth or fifth WR since he's someone that Trevor trusts to make a catch in a critical situation.

Urban Miller?  More like Bourbon Grinder.
Here's the list of the Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) that will be either signed or find other teams in 2023.  In a perfect world there are 6 to 7 of these players I'd love to bring back next year...

But lets be honest, we're losing Marvin Jones.  We're probably gonna let either Arnold or Manhertz (hell maybe both) go.  I think Pederson isn't impressed with Henderson, Herndon, or Peters, so I think they are gone...  Gotsis is just a guy and is on that type of salary.  Whether he stays or goes isn't an issue to the cap.

1.  Evan Engram
2.  Marvin Jones
3.  Dawuane Smoot
4.  Arden Key
5.  Chris Manhertz
6.  Dan Arnold
7.  C.J. Beathard
8.  Andrew Wingard
9.  Jawaan Taylor
10. Adam Gotsis
11. Corey Peters
12. Tre Herndon
13. Darrell Henderson

So that leaves us with the players I've bolded.  These are the player's I'd love to extend contracts to and keep.  Some of them (Wingard, Manhertz) can be kept with not much of a salary hit.  I don't think they have a market outside Jacksonville, and they seem like they want to be here.

Marvin Jones - The dude had to deal with Urban Meyer and was the only beacon of WR hope for Lawrence to target.  I'd hate to see him go.  But I just don't see him taking a discount.  I think if he does take a discount, it would be great to keep him.  But he deserves to get paid.  So, if he moves on, I wish him the best.  Dude was a great Jaguar.

Engram - This should be #1 priority to resign.  If Engram somehow walks in Free Agency, Baalke should be fired immediately.  

Key & Smoot - Love both these guys, both should be kept.  If I'm wrong I hope someone can educate me, but I see Key and Smoot as very similar type players for our D.  Both contribute, both are great depth and can come in and shine when needed.  But neither is a stand out great.   I think it's possible to get them back, but I would not begrudge them if they both wanted to go find more money.

Juwaan Taylor - Looks like we overpaid Cam Robinson...  I wish we had the money tied up in Taylor and could let Robinson walk.  [BLEEP] me...  Uche Nwarani breaks down film on both Juwaan and Cam...  Juwaan is the better Tackle.  It's really going to suck to have to lose Taylor and keep Cam.  I mean, maybe we can trade Robinson?  

I think it's easy to keep at least 3 of these guys.  But the three we keep will not be Taylor or Marvin Jones.  I'm OK with losing Marvin Jones.  But if we lose Juwaan Taylor...  I think that's a mistake...  There has to be a way to structure Taylor's contract where we can over pay him in year 2.  In year 2 (which is 2024 for his contract) we can cut out Cam Robinson and boom, we have Little at LT and Taylor at RT.

That's the perfect scenario.
(12-20-2022, 10:46 AM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]Here's the list of the Unrestricted Free Agents (UFA) that will be either signed or find other teams in 2023.  In a perfect world there are 6 to 7 of these players I'd love to bring back next year...

But lets be honest, we're losing Marvin Jones.  We're probably gonna let either Arnold or Manhertz (hell maybe both) go.  I think Pederson isn't impressed with Henderson, Herndon, or Peters, so I think they are gone...  Gotsis is just a guy and is on that type of salary.  Whether he stays or goes isn't an issue to the cap.

1.  Evan Engram
2.  Marvin Jones
3.  Dawuane Smoot
4.  Arden Key
5.  Chris Manhertz
6.  Dan Arnold
7.  C.J. Beathard
8.  Andrew Wingard
9.  Jawaan Taylor
10. Adam Gotsis
11. Corey Peters
12. Tre Herndon
13. Darrell Henderson

Marvin Jones - The dude had to deal with Urban Meyer and was the only beacon of WR hope for Lawrence to target.  I'd hate to see him go.  But I just don't see him taking a discount.  I think if he does take a discount, it would be great to keep him.  But he deserves to get paid.  So, if he moves on, I wish him the best.  Dude was a great Jaguar.

I'm not that certain he is gone. He is an 11 year vet who has already made $56 million in career earnings. He has been a good WR for Jags but he has definitely taken a back seat to Zay/Kirk with a dip in numbers. He is like getting a $2-4 million/year salary next year but not more than that.

So it will probably depend on where he feels comfortable team wise, maybe location to family (he lives in San Diego during the off season), and possibly finally getting playoff success. Based on those factors Jags should still be top of that list with maybe the Chargers being the main competition. Though it is unclear if LAC are even interested.
Pages: 1 2