Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Turnovers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
We've turned the ball over 12 times in the last 5 games.  But we won them all anyway.  Of course, 5 of those 12 were against the Chargers.  

During those last few games, a lot of people said we were dominating teams that had no quarterback.  But then the last game, they had a very highly regarded quarterback, Justin Herbert.  We even gifted them 5 turnovers and still won the game.  

All of which brings me to the big question: are we actually better than we seem to be?  For example, if we hadn't had a -5 turnover margin against the Chargers, what would the score have been?  After we quit turning the ball over, we were unstoppable.  

I can't read anyone else's mind on this, of course, but I'm starting to think maybe I'm underrating this team.
I think so too. We are the hotter team coming into this game with the Chiefs, and if we can eliminate those mistakes, I think we beat them. Of course, based on the history of both teams, no one nationally thinks so, and not many on this board think so. The great thing is that history doesn't have to write the future. Jags are creating their future right before us, and it's awesome to behold.
(01-18-2023, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We've turned the ball over 12 times in the last 5 games.  But we won them all anyway.  Of course, 5 of those 12 were against the Chargers.  

During those last few games, a lot of people said we were dominating teams that had no quarterback.  But then the last game, they had a very highly regarded quarterback, Justin Herbert.  We even gifted them 5 turnovers and still won the game.  

All of which brings me to the big question: are we actually better than we seem to be?  For example, if we hadn't had a -5 turnover margin against the Chargers, what would the score have been?  After we quit turning the ball over, we were unstoppable.  

I can't read anyone else's mind on this, of course, but I'm starting to think maybe I'm underrating this team.
Duh? 42-10 BOOM!!

Seriously though. Any team should be afraid of a Jags team that is firing on all cylinders for the entire game.
(01-18-2023, 01:53 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]We've turned the ball over 12 times in the last 5 games.  But we won them all anyway.  Of course, 5 of those 12 were against the Chargers.  

It's a very valid question. 

Personally, I believe that the modern NFL is so highly attenuated to offensive performance and above average quarterbacking, that we are outperforming our weaknesses.

We are doing this because we have a gifted QB who has settled into his role in an excellent system and sometimes plays on a level that transcends the shortcomings around him. 

Doug Pederson and his offensive coaching hive put together an excellent playbook and have continually tweaked it until it successfully mitigates the weaknesses in protection and run blocking from the line while highlighting the things our QB and receivers do best. They also call plays with a cut-throat aggressiveness that we've never seen here. If your defense can't stop a certain look, Doug will call it until you find an adjustment. Likely, by then, he already has a counter move prepared. 

Combine that with inspired defensive play since the bye week, smart adjustments by Caldwell, and some old-fashioned good luck, and here we are. 

I know I had them underrated in November and didn't see this elevation of play coming this season. Thought we might see it next year after fixing some defensive woes. Very happy it is upon us now.
The end of the year team can do anything. They are coming together at the right time and the circumstances have been overcome.

KC could lay the smack down on us but everything is possible. It has been a long long time since this level of competitive play has seemed a remote possibility.

To the bolded, the Jags seem to play better when the pressure is on (my lord. Did I just type that?)

The pressure was on at halftime and you saw how the Jags and Trevor responded. If they didn't have those 5 turnovers, who knows how that game plays out but I'm sure the playcalling would have been different which may not have led to as many points.
I’ve said this in another thread, but I only feel like we were outright beaten twice this year and the other losses were all from self inflicted wounds which is not surprising for a young team in a new system. The two we were beaten in were against the chefs and loins. This team could easily have been 11-6 or 12-5 and had the ball bounced out way a few more times maybe even better than that.
we turned over the ball alot but we also got alot of turnovers in that span as well. between fumbles, picks. we can throw it down with any team but to beat the best we need to play 4 quarters not 2.
(01-18-2023, 02:38 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]

To the bolded, the Jags seem to play better when the pressure is on (my lord. Did I just type that?)

The pressure was on at halftime and you saw how the Jags and Trevor responded. If they didn't have those 5 turnovers, who knows how that game plays out but I'm sure the playcalling would have been different which may not have led to as many points.

"I play better when you hit me 52, I like it. I'm kinda messed up." - Trevor Lawrence
When you have a franchise QB and a great HC, you can out perform lesser teams...

But we are now in the elite 8 of the NFL. We won't win if we lose the turnover margin from here on out. On top of that, we (meaning Lawrence) now has the reputation of being turn-over laden. If he throws interceptions this saturday, the entire narrative of the Jaguars will be that Trevor Lawrence isn't carefull with the football...

This game is going to be huge for how we enter next season. I just hope Trevor doesn't give the ball away this game. He needs to play a clean game, otherwise, we we're toast.
I agree we have been better under pressure. But i wonder, is it just that we perform better when were under said pressure or do our plYers simply execute better within the play calling of said situations. Maybe the aggressive style we implement once were down is simply the type of game plan we need to use on the regular.
(01-18-2023, 03:47 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]When you have a franchise QB and a great HC, you can out perform lesser teams...

But we are now in the elite 8 of the NFL.  We won't win if we lose the turnover margin from here on out.  On top of that, we (meaning Lawrence) now has the reputation of being turn-over laden.  If he throws interceptions this saturday, the entire narrative of the Jaguars will be that  Trevor Lawrence isn't carefull with the football...

This game is going to be huge for how we enter next season.  I just hope Trevor doesn't give the ball away this game.  He needs to play a clean game, otherwise, we we're toast.
Well that's not true.

He had the lowest interception% in the AFC during the regular season I believe. The Chargers game was a massive outlier and not indicative of future performance.

https://twitter.com/theryanmichael/statu...8page%3D30
Imo eliminating the turnovers comes down to the O line giving Trevor more time in the pocket to make better decisions
It's complimentary football. Neither squad has been perfect. This squad really hasn't had a complete game too often this season. You had the week three win in L.A and the shutout at home against the clots and then the road win against the tinhorns.

Everything else has been a close loss, close win with the exception of the Lions game. I think the Chiefs game was a lot closer than people think. We had a few self inflicted wounds. Including a TD that was called back for illegal man downfield with Robinson. We had a stolen possession with an onside kick that we didn't do anything with. We had a few turnovers on defense as well.

The Chiefs are not unstoppable. We just have to play complimentary football. Damn near perfect football. Every squad is going to have to make a play or two to win this game.

Offense: Lawrence with Etienne, Kirk, The Jones Brothers, Engram, etc.
Defense: Cisco, Campbell, Walker, Key & Allen, etc.
Special Teams: Cooke, Agnew & Patterson.

Those names above are going to have to carry the team this Saturday but I fully expect Pederson and Caldwell to specifically scheme somebody up into a role that comes out of nowhere. You mark my words. Hear me now. Believe me later.

Somebody on offense and defense is going to make a splash play that you didn't see coming nor expect it to come from them. It'll be somebody like Manhertz or Arnold on offense or Wingard or Lloyd defense where something just happens with them being on the receiving end of it in a good way.
(01-18-2023, 04:03 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-18-2023, 03:47 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]When you have a franchise QB and a great HC, you can out perform lesser teams...

But we are now in the elite 8 of the NFL.  We won't win if we lose the turnover margin from here on out.  On top of that, we (meaning Lawrence) now has the reputation of being turn-over laden.  If he throws interceptions this saturday, the entire narrative of the Jaguars will be that  Trevor Lawrence isn't carefull with the football...

This game is going to be huge for how we enter next season.  I just hope Trevor doesn't give the ball away this game.  He needs to play a clean game, otherwise, we we're toast.
Well that's not true.

He had the lowest interception% in the AFC during the regular season I believe. The Chargers game was a massive outlier and not indicative of future performance.

https://twitter.com/theryanmichael/statu...8page%3D30

He's done way better in that regard but he's also had a [BLEEP] ton of fumbles. Which casually gets left off of statistics like this. He had 10 I think for the year. With 4 of them coming against the Eagles if I am not mistaken. I honestly don't care. 

I nicknamed him Sunshine Brett Favre earlier last year for a reason. He's going to have plays where you're like "Mannnnnn what in the hell was he thinking there?" and then he'll turn around one week or within the same game and he'll make a play or two and you're like "Holy [BLEEP]. Did you see that?!?!?".

He's a special talent. I think he's still clicking and learning. For now though, with the turnovers, grit, laser cannon for an arm, scrambling ability, the rollercoaster of decision making, etc. 

He's Sunshine Brett Favre.
To be fair, two of those interceptions should not have been if the refs properly called the game. Outside of that, I think we're not having proper expectations if we don't expect Lawrence to blow a little hot and cold. I think he's shown that he can be what we need, but he's also still really young. I think it's unrealistic expectations to expect him to play error free football at this stage. I'm just hoping he's about to blow hot for the next few games after a little bit of a cold streak down the stretch.

Live by the Lawrence, die by the Lawrence. There's one law in Jacksonville for the foreseeable future... the T-Law.
We're facing a different animal this weekend though. If we turn the ball over 3+ times on Saturday, the Chiefs and Mahomes likely lay 50 on us. Ball security will be critical this weekend. You simply cannot give Mahomes extra possessions.
(01-18-2023, 06:31 PM)Lucky2Last Wrote: [ -> ]To be fair, two of those interceptions should not have been if the refs properly called the game. Outside of that, I think we're not having proper expectations if we don't expect Lawrence to blow a little hot and cold. I think he's shown that he can be what we need, but he's also still really young. I think it's unrealistic expectations to expect him to play error free football at this stage. I'm just hoping he's about to blow hot for the next few games after a little bit of a cold streak down the stretch.

Live by the Lawrence, die by the Lawrence. There's one law in Jacksonville for the foreseeable future... the T-Law.
Exactly. He's exciting to watch hot or cold. Reminds me of a young Favre when I was a kid in the 90s. Slinging it, sometimes shooting first and asking questions later to just shoot the [BLEEP] out of teams for a few weeks in a row is how it goes.

He has a [BLEEP] arm. That's all you need sometimes. He can make throws guys simply cant. That's what keeps us in games. Everybody likes him as a young Peyton Manning type.

I see a bit of Manning & Favre in him. The smarts are there with the accuracy. The mobility and cannon for an arm is there like it is with Favre. Somehow you get Lawrence.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Vic always said if a team gets hot at the right moment, that’s all it takes to have a shot at the Super Bowl.
(01-18-2023, 07:22 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Vic always said if a team gets hot at the right moment, that’s all it takes to have a shot at the Super Bowl.
yeah, that's all it takes.

That, and hitting on a 1st round QB that turns out to be a top ten talent, and hitting dead on the [BLEEP] nails with 5 free agent signings, and drafting 9 starters in two years, and having an owner that will spend a historic amount in free agency to jumpstart a sagging rebuild. 

That's all it takes, Vic.

I'll be glad when the ghost of Vic Ketchman is long gone. Always thought he was half full of [BLEEP]. 

getting hot doesn't happen by accident
Pages: 1 2