Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Your opening 10 plays vs the Chiefs
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Ok so we’ve been poop on our opening drives these last several weeks, Trevor giving up turnovers, Etienne fumbling, overall lethargy and gross lack of execution on the Offensive side of the ball. 

In my opinion, Doug is making it too hard on these guys to start the games. The concepts and motions seem so unnecessarily complex to open a game. The goal should just be getting the guys loose with some easy layups. I think ONE gotcha play is ok to open the game within the first few plays. But trying to psyche out the other team has only lead to our own players being psyched out. So for me: 
1. Etienne Run (Power Right)
2. Play-Action, Engram in the flat
3. Mesh concept, drag routes across the middle in trips bunch, hit Kirk 
4. Etienne Run (power to the left) 
5. Etienne Run (out of shotgun)
6. Flea Flicker (the ONE gotcha play) 
7. Mesh concept, hit Zay on a crosser 
8. Shotgun crosser or drag to Engram 
9. Shotgun in route to Zay or MJ
10. End around, motion with Agnew 

I think this warms up the whole offense on stuff they’ve done all year. Get into a flow and try to execute a new concept every 6 plays or so.
Hopefully not a double pitch fumbleruski to start the game.
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
Cheifs Kickoff

Agnew recieves TD

2 point conversion

Mahomes strip fumble TD

Mahomes interception touchdown

Patterson TD after pulling a magic trick out of mahomes book
I don't like the idea of scripting a series of plays. I would rather just react to however the defense lines up.
I don't care about anything except Engram having more stats than Kelce and Chris Jones being held without a sack. Do those two things and we win.
(01-19-2023, 04:12 AM)Eric1 Wrote: [ -> ]TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
TD
I laughed
1st - Play action, bootleg to the right with Engram working from the left side to the right side - Agnew a deep shot option
2nd - Play action, bootleg to the left with Zay Jones working the sideline on a quick out - Marvin Jones a quick slant to the right option
3rd - Shotgun - Draw to Etienne
4th - Shotgun - Screen to Hasty
5th - Pistol - QB keeper
6th - Shotgun - Four wide - RPO play with Etienne getting the ball
7th - Triple TE set - Manhertz screen
8th - Jets Sweep - Agnew is the decoy - Lawrence keeps it and hits Engram on the flat
9th - Shotgun - QB draw
10th - Single I Formation - Play action - Arnold over the middle

My intent is to get everybody involved early to keep their defense on it's toes.

I went to everybody on this drive that is used rarely. This is where you want to see guys like Manhertz, Arnold and Hasty rotating in and out as well as Agnew getting more work in a decoy role or legitimate efforts to get him isolated on the outside.

Keep good ol' Mr. Reliable Marvin Jones out there. Lawrence will need to use his legs in this game. Chew clock. Keep Mahomes on the bench. Need to get Lawrence to settle in early. Nothing gets him more settled in then letting him bootleg and run around a bit.
Take what they give you.

I'd be looking for opportunities to hit ETN, Hasty, and the TEs on swing passes and screens - let them show "protect" but leak out for a pass.

I'd do this in between mesh routes over the middle and stretch outside runs.

But - as Marty said - the defense is going to dictate the calls. Doug adjusts to coverages.

Rolling Trevor to the right here and there should help keep interior pressure at bay a bit, while giving him a target shallow, a target deep, and the option to run.
(01-19-2023, 12:21 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]Take what they give you.

I'd be looking for opportunities to hit ETN, Hasty, and the TEs on swing passes and screens - let them show "protect" but leak out for a pass.

I'd do this in between mesh routes over the middle and stretch outside runs.

But - as Marty said - the defense is going to dictate the calls. Doug adjusts to coverages.

Rolling Trevor to the right here and there should help keep interior pressure at bay a bit, while giving him a target shallow, a target deep, and the option to run.

I watched the 1st half of the chiefs game from week 10 last night and wanted to watch the 2nd half before posting, but you beat me to it on the screens comment.  I think we need to have several more than we did in week 10 specifically with ETN.

Additionally, had several huge missed opportunities in that game thwarted by drops and penalties. Cannot have that happen again if we expect to win.
(01-19-2023, 07:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of scripting a series of plays.  I would rather just react to however the defense lines up.

That's why Doug Peterson is a head coach and you are sitting on this board with 13,000 posts to your credit Smile
(01-19-2023, 01:00 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2023, 07:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of scripting a series of plays.  I would rather just react to however the defense lines up.

That's why Doug Peterson is a head coach and you are sitting on this board with 13,000 posts to your credit Smile

I'll go with Marty on this one and I suspect 1st down yardage and field position may be considerations for Doug also.  I really don't see the flea flicker working on a 3rd and goal from the 1-yard line.
Hit the bong
Dip the chicken wing in bleu cheese
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Dip the chicken wing in garlic parmesian
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Forget what you're doing
Forget what step you're on
Hit the bong
(01-19-2023, 01:45 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Hit the bong
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Forget what you're doing
Hit the bong

Doing a breakfast casserole and slutty brownies in preparation for pre game, mid game and post game munchies. Can't wait.
Smoking some ribs on game day over here. Will probably have some pours of some fine and rare bourbon as well. Depending on how the game goes, they could be in celebration or to cope.
I don’t know but I’m not punting this game. I’m operating on 4 downs the whole game until I can get points. I don’t think it matters where the chiefs start, they’re going to move the ball. Every 4th down conversion is a stolen possession.

(01-19-2023, 07:56 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I don't like the idea of scripting a series of plays. I would rather just react to however the defense lines up.

The point of a script is to see how a defense will react to plays well practiced and set you up for play calls the rest of the game. How are you supposed to react on the first drive? You w any yet.
(01-19-2023, 01:45 PM)WingerDinger Wrote: [ -> ]Hit the bong
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Drink the coke
Hit the bong
Forget what you're doing
Hit the bong

Looks like you'll be running out the clock on your 10 plays alone.
(01-19-2023, 02:35 PM)NoShoes Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t know but I’m not punting this game. I’m operating on 4 downs the whole game until I can get points. I don’t think it matters where the chiefs start, they’re going to move the ball.  Every 4th down conversion is a stolen possession.

The point of a script is to see how a defense will react to plays well practiced and set you up for play calls the rest of the game. How are you supposed to react on the first drive?  You w any yet.

A. They've already played this team this season
B. They've got a whole season of tape on this defense
C. Doug Pederson has faced Spagnuolo led defenses before this season and has been successful against them 

They will have a script, but they will deviate from it to move chains and those calls will be largely predicated on the coverages KC shows early on.
(01-19-2023, 02:56 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-19-2023, 02:35 PM)NoShoes Wrote: [ -> ]I don’t know but I’m not punting this game. I’m operating on 4 downs the whole game until I can get points. I don’t think it matters where the chiefs start, they’re going to move the ball.  Every 4th down conversion is a stolen possession.

The point of a script is to see how a defense will react to plays well practiced and set you up for play calls the rest of the game. How are you supposed to react on the first drive?  You w any yet.

A. They've already played this team this season
B. They've got a whole season of tape on this defense
C. Doug Pederson has faced Spagnuolo led defenses before this season and has been successful against them 

They will have a script, but they will deviate from it to move chains and those calls will be largely predicated on the coverages KC shows early on.

They're going to sit on a lot of the shallow stuff. The offensive line is going to have to step it up big time this Saturday. Lawrence will need time for the double move routes to develop downfield and he's going to need the screen game to work. 

I feel like the screen game with this team has been extremely hit or miss all season for them. That's the one area they need to improve on this summer. Going to be fun seeing how Pederson and Lawrence work their way through this one though. 

Just stay the hell out of 3rd and long situations and we should be able to muster up enough points offensively.
I believe it was the chiefs game DP chose an onside kick to open the game.

I say keep that philosophy going. On second down fake punt. They’ll never expect it Smile
Pages: 1 2 3