Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Target Stores: Sexism in our time
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/style...spartandhpThis is the new scourge of Feminism.  Hide your daughters eveyone! 

The world has gone stark raving mad!

Where the hell is Bunny, I needs me a sammich dammit.

My wife was wearing an apron last night...

I gotta say, it was pretty hot
Quote:My wife was wearing an apron last night...

I gotta say, it was pretty hot
Ummm?

[Image: 01306e871a5f8946836102d151884a10.jpg]
Oh my... That's not hot, at all!
Quote:Oh my... That's not hot, at all!
Here's your breakfast honey.

No thanks I lost my appetite and am going to gouge my eyes out.
Quote:http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/style...spartandhpThis is the new scourge of Feminism.  Hide your daughters eveyone! 

The world has gone stark raving mad!
It's par for the course. I think we saw how sexism is alive and well if you watched the olympics. *Female wins gold/Pans to her husband* "AND THERE'S THE MAN RESPONSIBLE". Seriously?

The world isn't mad, this is real, even if it's a small circumstance like a childs shirt. It happens all the time. It's just so engraned that it feels normal and right. Had this been on a boys shirt, but in blue, would it sound or feel natural? No, it would read as a missprint. I'm not enraged, but don't act like this isn't happening or a thing when it very much is.
Quote:It's par for the course. I think we saw how sexism is alive and well if you watched the olympics. *Female wins gold/Pans to her husband* "AND THERE'S THE MAN RESPONSIBLE". Seriously?

The world isn't mad, this is real, even if it's a small circumstance like a childs shirt. It happens all the time. It's just so engraned that it feels normal and right. Had this been on a boys shirt, but in blue, would it sound or feel natural? No, it would read as a missprint. I'm not enraged, but don't act like this isn't happening or a thing when it very much is.

Amen.
Target is good for booty watchin and nothing else..
Quote:Amen.

Quote:It's par for the course. I think we saw how sexism is alive and well if you watched the olympics. *Female wins gold/Pans to her husband* "AND THERE'S THE MAN RESPONSIBLE". Seriously?

Whatever, sammiches now!!
Its a shirt...

In not saying the world is perfect...

But its a SHIRT.
Quote:Its a shirt...

In not saying the world is perfect...

But its a SHIRT.
Right. It only exists in this one instance on a shirt. 
Its a SHIRT!!! Batman has to wash his cape too.

Not to mention that kids have chores in general.
Quote:Ummm?

[Image: 01306e871a5f8946836102d151884a10.jpg]

So somebody finally took a picture of JW.
If you want to abolish sexism, you have to start at the root of the problem. Condone the females that wear the word "Juicy" or "Trophy Wife" on their shorts or shirts. Stop trying to look like a $9.99 hooker out in public, lay off the heavy makeup and cover the tramp stamp on your lower back. Don't be angry with these stores selling these objects, be mad at the public buying them because there's a big market for it.

Quote:Amen.

Shut up....  and fix me a turkey pot pie!
Quote:Its a SHIRT!!! Batman has to wash his cape too.

Not to mention that kids have chores in general.

Actually, Batman has his butler Alfred to do stuff like that for him....
isn't washing a car a traditionally manly thing to do?

Whenever a situation like this pops up, I think about the South Park episode that focused on "Ginger Kids". In that episode, Cartman gives a speech about how Ginger Kids are evil, how they have no soul, and are basically devilspawn. Kyle gets ticked off at it and decides to debunk the foolishness designed as hate-speech that was Cartman's speech. 

He does his research, prepares a speech and presents his argument based on facts and scientific data. When he's done, the teacher replies with "Thank you Kyle. It was kind of dry and science-y for my tastes but I guess it'll do." Essentially, the teacher didn't want to deal with having to think about the facts regarding a situation but was annoyed that he would have to put forth effort instead of someone just telling him how to feel.

Now, this was a tv show and meant to be taken lightly but it's something that happens more and more and more. People aren't willing to look at facts and give true introspection into some really horrible behavior. Sexism happens, I see it every day and I'm certain a lot of other people do as well. As does racism, ageism, and a bunch of other things but we're just used to "that's how things are" instead of "I need to help change things to how they should be."

I'm not certain what my point in all this was, but it's kind of crappy that the folks who want to "go back to the way things were" when they were pretty horrible for a lot of people are the ones who get the traction in all of this. 
Quote:Whenever a situation like this pops up, I think about the South Park episode that focused on "Ginger Kids". In that episode, Cartman gives a speech about how Ginger Kids are evil, how they have no soul, and are basically devilspawn. Kyle gets ticked off at it and decides to debunk the foolishness designed as hate-speech that was Cartman's speech. 

He does his research, prepares a speech and presents his argument based on facts and scientific data. When he's done, the teacher replies with "Thank you Kyle. It was kind of dry and science-y for my tastes but I guess it'll do." Essentially, the teacher didn't want to deal with having to think about the facts regarding a situation but was annoyed that he would have to put forth effort instead of someone just telling him how to feel.

Now, this was a tv show and meant to be taken lightly but it's something that happens more and more and more. People aren't willing to look at facts and give true introspection into some really horrible behavior. Sexism happens, I see it every day and I'm certain a lot of other people do as well. As does racism, ageism, and a bunch of other things but we're just used to "that's how things are" instead of "I need to help change things to how they should be."

I'm not certain what my point in all this was, but it's kind of crappy that the folks who want to "go back to the way things were" when they were pretty horrible for a lot of people are the ones who get the traction in all of this. 
Deacon - I'm picking up what you're putting down and I like the outside the box analogy.

Saying it's 'only a shirt' or the 'women need to change how they're dressing' to make the changes happen is akin to the "she deserved it because she was flirty".... I'll leave that alone because we're delving into a much broader subject than a sexist shirt. And lets not kid ourselves, it was a low key sexist shirt even if it was 'just a shirt'. 

JJ - you can't create a topic and then think it ridiculous that not everyone agrees with your take. I may have seen this story and not taken the time to create a topic on it, but you did. The fact of the matter is, as seemingly harmless as the childs shirt appears, it doesn't dismiss the fact that there are people up in arms because it's just another example of feeding into the issues we STILL face. Racism exists, sexism exists, age-ism, as Deacon pointed out, DOES exist. No matter how unimportant you feel this particular example may be, these discriminatory issues exist and to deny any of it is to be wantonly ignorant. 

Pages: 1 2 3