Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is there any way in the world we can re-sign Marvin Jones?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I saw Trevor’s top 10 plays last year, and Jones was in a few of them. I hate taking that weapon off the field.

I know Jones is up there in age. I know Ridley’s coming aboard and we expect him to be better. But it never hurts to have something extra on the receiver corps, especially if one them is out for an extended period of time. And Trevor does have a good rapport with Marvin.

If there was a way to get Jones relatively cheap, I’d do it.
Ridley, Kirk, Z Jones, and Agnew are the known 4 core WRs this next season. For the 5th spot (and sometimes 6th spot), having a developmental young guy is advantageous for growth, special teams, and healthy cap reasons. Tim Jones, Kevin Austin, Kendric Pryor, Seth Williams, Jaylon Moore, and Willie Johnson are competing for that role(s). With the addition of Ridley, and the success and contracts of Z Jones and Kirk, the re-signing of Marvin Jones became not needed. By letting Marvin find another home, they also may pick up another compensatory pick in next year's draft.

I am actually excited to see the camp and preseason battle between these young guys for the final spot(s). I think 4 of them have NFL abilities with some experience and development.
Jones wants to play closer to home. He's not coming back even if we wanted him to.
He made some clutch catches. I love the one where he was obliterated on a hit and jumped up defiantly and flexed. That was like we jags have arrived and we were here now!
I appreciate how he helped us, but think we need to move on from him if you will and good luck to him.
(03-19-2023, 06:00 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate how he helped us, but think we need to move on from him if you will and good luck to him.

Agreed. As was said above zay, Calvin, Agnew and Kirk are the main core. Anyone else on the 53 should be developmental.

He was good while he was here but there no reason to keep him.
Marvin has been clutch since he's been here. It's just a numbers game at this point. Both, financially and age related. I hope he catches on somewhere with a team that could be sneaky in 2023. Hopefully not in the AFC.
I can see an outside chance that, if we don't draft any WRs, and he's still not signed by then, we could possibly re-sign him. But I think that's about a 3.7% chance.
I think it all comes down to whether the Jets get Aaron Rogers and what type of compensation they have to give up to get him.
If he could be had for a really cheap deal i'd be all for it, dude has the best hands on the team (outside of Ridley). But, sadly he prolly wants more than he's worth and we're wayyy to strapped $ wise.
I don’t think he’s coming back. With Ridley coming in, along with the ZJones and the contract Kirk has, there’s no room. And then there are guys like TJones and Austin who are pushing for playing time. As far as Tim, I hope he doesn’t show out this preseason because I want him to stay on the roster. He could be scooped for cheap.

Marvin got caught up in the numbers game unfortunately.
(03-20-2023, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I can see an outside chance that, if we don't draft any WRs, and he's still not signed by then, we could possibly re-sign him.  But I think that's about a 3.7% chance.

I give it 0.91%
(03-19-2023, 07:32 PM)JagsorDie Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-19-2023, 06:00 PM)Butters Wrote: [ -> ]I appreciate how he helped us, but think we need to move on from him if you will and good luck to him.

Agreed. As was said above zay, Calvin, Agnew and Kirk are the main core. Anyone else on the 53 should be developmental.

He was good while he was here but there no reason to keep him.

Riiiiight. Agnew had half the receptions and 1/3 of the yards that Jones had in 2022, and yet he's core. Makes sense.

He also fumbled away the Divisional game.
Patience
(03-21-2023, 07:48 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-20-2023, 03:08 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]I can see an outside chance that, if we don't draft any WRs, and he's still not signed by then, we could possibly re-sign him.  But I think that's about a 3.7% chance.

I give it 0.91%

Based on the above, I just did some new math over the past 25 minutes and my 3 pages of computation have resulted in an average chance of 2.305% to sign him.
(03-21-2023, 10:49 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2023, 07:48 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I give it 0.91%

Based on the above, I just did some new math over the past 25 minutes and my 3 pages of computation have resulted in an average chance of 2.305% to sign him.

I'll have to agree with Hurricane as I have inside information. He has access to the super secret algorithm used and developed by Scott Boras for many years.
(03-21-2023, 10:49 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2023, 07:48 AM)Mikey Wrote: [ -> ]I give it 0.91%

I consulted a few other historically accurate sources, tea leaves, tarot cards, magic 8 ball, and Zoltar in the fortune teller machine, and each independently confirmed your 2.305% chance figure.
(03-21-2023, 11:10 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2023, 10:49 AM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]Based on the above, I just did some new math over the past 25 minutes and my 3 pages of computation have resulted in an average chance of 2.305% to sign him.

I'll have to agree with Hurricane as I have inside information. He has access to the super secret algorithm used and developed by Scott Boras for many years.

(3.7+.91)/2 = 2.305
All I can say is Ridley better be worth his weight in gold. We're hanging a lot on a guy who hasn't been on a field or in football shape in a year. On a guy who hasn't played one single down for us.

Call it Jags history related PTSD but I am definitely gun shy at this point.

I hope Marvin finds what he's looking for.
(03-21-2023, 12:00 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-21-2023, 11:10 AM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]I'll have to agree with Hurricane as I have inside information. He has access to the super secret algorithm used and developed by Scott Boras for many years.

(3.7+.91)/2 = 2.305

That's so un-American.   Don't be bringing that Asian math to this country.
Pages: 1 2