Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: POLL: Name the Next Free Agent Signing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Jags have cleared some cap room with the Fatukasi deal redux.
They almost certainly bid on Calais Campbell but lost him to a higher bidder. 
If Campbell was a target - it makes sense they are looking to replace the production they'll miss from Key and Smoot. 

987 snaps played by those two last year leaves a need.

Of course, they have other holes to fill as well. 

So - who (or what position)  do you think they target next.

I'll put positions in a poll and feel free to list specific players if you wish.
Wonder if they'd consider bringing Yannick back if the price is right. Could be helpful in passing situations, a better version of Arden Key.
(03-29-2023, 06:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if they'd consider bringing Yannick back if the price is right. Could be helpful in passing situations, a better version of Arden Key.

Would take Tony and Shad offering an olive branch and Ngakoue accepting - or vice versa.

No idea if the Khan's are keen to mend that fence or not.

He'd make sense though.
(03-29-2023, 06:35 PM)ChrisJagBoy Wrote: [ -> ]Wonder if they'd consider bringing Yannick back if the price is right. Could be helpful in passing situations, a better version of Arden Key.

The guy gets his sacks and has a high motor
Robert Quinn would be just fine.

Shipley made some good points about rookie pass rushers taken after pick 20 and how little they contribute in year 1. I would still take one if available at 24 but they really need another vet on the DLine.
Marcus Peters or Yann
Justin Houston or Frank Clark would be ideal.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
(03-29-2023, 10:05 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Justin Houston or Frank Clark would be ideal.

Yep
I voted offensive line. With the loss of Taylor, a swing tackle is critical. If the price is right, Dalton Risner would be the best choice. He could start at guard and also be a possible replacement at right tackle since he played there in college.
(03-29-2023, 10:44 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]I voted offensive line. With the loss of Taylor, a swing tackle is critical. If the price is right, Dalton Risner would be the best choice. He could start at guard and also be a possible replacement at right tackle since he played there in college.

Risner is obviously asking for more than any team thinks he should get.  He's a good player.  There's a team out there willing to pay him more than the Jags can afford right now, if Risner will lower his price.
(03-29-2023, 10:20 PM)Jag88 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-29-2023, 10:05 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Justin Houston or Frank Clark would be ideal.

Yep

Would support either of these signings but Clark is probably not affordable.
I voted Corn. Mr. Elder is currently an FA, and hasn't played since '21, but he could serve as a reserve defender. Build through the darft.
Justin Houston played last year on a 1 year $3.5m contract. He had 9.5 sacks. He'll be cheaper and more productive than Key this next year, even with another year of tread off the tires.
Hopefully Leonard Floyd but I doubt we can afford him
Perhaps kick the tires on Tim Tebow.  As a hybrid QB/TE, he could mentor Trevor Lawrence and Evan Engram while also assist Doug Pederson with play calling during the games.
I voted Offensive line. Why? Well listening to 1010 the other day Campo made a good point. He pointed out the practice requirements now just don't allow enough pad time for the vast majority of rookies to get enough full speed practice to improve enough for the differences they will see at this level. So, as a result they are getting more on the job training in games. Thinking about this the last few days I can see his point. There appear to be a few OL guys out there that may be able to add value even if we aquire a few during the draft.
(03-29-2023, 08:00 PM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]Robert Quinn would be just fine.

Shipley made some good points about rookie pass rushers taken after pick 20 and how little they contribute in year 1. I would still take one if available at 24 but they really need another vet on the DLine.

It's rare that rookies are able to step in and become immediate fixes at a position. Even players that go on to have elite careers are often mediocre at best their rookie seasons.

If you are looking for an immediate fix at a position, you look for a veteran player.

When you start a rookie you have to be willing to sacrifice production and overcome their rookie mistakes in order for them to gain the experience needed to develop into a future quality starter and an impact player that has learned how to live up to their potential.
Corn
(03-30-2023, 10:23 AM)ATLjag Wrote: [ -> ]Justin Houston played last year on a 1 year $3.5m contract.  He had 9.5 sacks.  He'll be cheaper and more productive than Key this next year, even with another year of tread off the tires.

Those one year deals are called prove it deals.  He proved it, and he expects to get more.
(03-29-2023, 06:39 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]

Would take Tony and Shad offering an olive branch and Ngakoue accepting - or vice versa.

No idea if the Khan's are keen to mend that fence or not.

He'd make sense though.

I'm assuming like Ramsey, Yannick biggest issue was the disrespect from Coughlin/Caldwell spending money on Bortles rather than them. But yeah, he'd be a nice upgrade for passing situations, wonder what kinda money he'd take tho.
Pages: 1 2 3