Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Biggest What-Ifs in Jaguars History?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Thought this would be an interesting topic as we enter the dead zone. What are some of the bigger “what ifs” in Jaguars history that almost happened that could have greatly changed the trajectory of the team? A few that come to mind.

1) What if Weaver hired Jimmy Johnson to be the team’s first head coach? 

Apparently Johnson was intrigued by the Jags job and word is a meeting with Weaver may have taken place to the point where Jerry Jones earned about tampering. I think this one would’ve been a bad one for the Jags and I’m glad we ended up with Coughlin.

2) What if the Jags signed Charles Woodson in 2006? According to Woodson, he wanted to sign here but the Jags weren’t interested. Woodson would’ve been a huge upgrade over Brian Williams.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/char...rs-in-2006

3) What if Jags drafted Calais Campbell in 2008?

Calais stated the Jags told him they planned to draft him in the 1st round but instead the Jags ended up trading for Derrick Harvey. Jags could’ve kept all the ammo and drafted a potential HOFer. Also think Calais’ career would’ve been better off as he would’ve been able to be more of a pass rusher here instead of a 3-4 end.

https://www.si.com/nfl/jaguars/news/cala...rs-in-2008

4) What if the Jags traded for Tebow in 2012?

We all now how close it came to happening in 2012. I think this would could have potentially really messed up the timeline. There would have been overwhelming pressure to play Tebow and if things would’ve went south it would have probably really pissed off some of the locals.

5) What if Myles Jack wasn’t ruled down?

This one strings the most because I truly think the lead would’ve been big enough that a Patriots comeback would be unlikely. In an alternate timeline a Jags/Eagles Super Bowl happened that year.

There are a few others that I thought of involving such as career ending injuries or suspensions like Boselli, Tavian Banks, and Blackmon. Are there any other big ones?
What if the forward pass in the Music City Miracle was actually called properly in 1999?
#1  What if we had taken Patrick Mahommes instead of Leonard Fournette in 2017?

#2  What if we had taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Matt Jones in 2005?
(06-20-2023, 06:05 PM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]#1  What if we had taken Patrick Mahommes instead of Leonard Fournette in 2017?

#2  What if we had taken Aaron Rodgers instead of Matt Jones in 2005?

I almost included Deshaun Watson in 2017 since it was rumored Coughlin really liked Watson.
If we had Tebowed the team, we could have got worse faster and hit the bottom and maybe avoided some future savior discussions including the embarassing Urban Meyer fiasco.
I think taking Leftwich over Suggs set this team up for a decade+ of failures. For one, you stole potential development away from Garrard who ultimately ended up surpassing Leftwich as our starter. Secondly, Brunell was not done yet as a QB. It was made evident when he and Joe Gibbs took the Washington Redskins back to the post season for the first time in awhile. But, the worst part of it all? Worst case scenario? You finish poorly and in 2004's NFL draft? You had your choice between Philip Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. Ouch. Big time ouch.
What if Myles Jack wasn't ruled down is the biggest what if in franchise history imo. We would of beat the Pats and I think our defense would of been able to get the best of Foles and we would have a Championship right now. Even if we taken Mahomes this team didn't have Reid, Kelce , nor Hill and I don't think we would have a championship being how bad DC was at drafting. If we drafted Aaron Rodgers he didn't have Favre to learn from etc.
(06-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I think taking Leftwich over Suggs set this team up for a decade+ of failures. For one, you stole potential development away from Garrard who ultimately ended up surpassing Leftwich as our starter. Secondly, Brunell was not done yet as a QB. It was made evident when he and Joe Gibbs took the Washington Redskins back to the post season for the first time in awhile. But, the worst part of it all? Worst case scenario? You finish poorly and in 2004's NFL draft? You had your choice between Philip Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. Ouch. Big time ouch.

Imagine any one of them with our 2017 defense.  Undefeated season and a blowout Superbowl victory.
(06-21-2023, 08:25 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]I think taking Leftwich over Suggs set this team up for a decade+ of failures. For one, you stole potential development away from Garrard who ultimately ended up surpassing Leftwich as our starter. Secondly, Brunell was not done yet as a QB. It was made evident when he and Joe Gibbs took the Washington Redskins back to the post season for the first time in awhile. But, the worst part of it all? Worst case scenario? You finish poorly and in 2004's NFL draft? You had your choice between Philip Rivers, Eli Manning or Ben Roethlisberger. Ouch. Big time ouch.

I agree.  That's the biggest one.  It's ironic because Byron is far from the worst player the Jags ever picked, and Shack Harris ultimately put together a competitive team in spite of this mistake.  But in terms of missed opportunities for later years, it has to be Leftwich over Suggs.

(06-21-2023, 08:59 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]

Imagine any one of them with our 2017 defense.  Undefeated season and a blowout Superbowl victory.

Any of them with our 2005 or 2007 defense would have been scary good, potentially winning a super bowl.  Remember those were good defenses and in this scenario they have Suggs.
(06-21-2023, 09:15 AM)mikesez Wrote: [ -> ]

I agree.  That's the biggest one.  It's ironic because Byron is far from the worst player the Jags ever picked, and Shack Harris ultimately put together a competitive team in spite of this mistake.  But in terms of missed opportunities for later years, it has to be Leftwich over Suggs.

(06-21-2023, 08:59 AM)Sneakers Wrote: [ -> ]Imagine any one of them with our 2017 defense.  Undefeated season and a blowout Superbowl victory.

Any of them with our 2005 or 2007 defense would have been scary good, potentially winning a super bowl.  Remember those were good defenses and in this scenario they have Suggs.

Shaq Harris and Jack Del Rio were decent. Especially considering the situations they were put in following post-cap hell that Coughlin put the team in. We had teams that were at least competitive, competent and hovering around the .500 average with a nice little two play-off appearances. It ultimately always fell back on the QB position, WR position and DE positions just not having enough firepower to compete with the top tier talent at that time in the AFC. 

We're talking about PEAK Peyton Manning, Tom Brady and a scrappy Steve McNair during that time. WITH two of those young QB's we passed up on also ascending in the AFC. 

That was a massive blunder though. Suggs would have given us the firepower needed at that time to get after the QB's. Having a game changing QB with Fred Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew would have been incredibly awesome to see growing up in the early to mid-2000's. Roethlisberger still has one of the greatest rookie performances of all time for me personally. Especially considering the position and the division he played in at that time. People tend to forget but the Bengals were a little bit more competent with Marvin Lewis during those years and we all know about the defense Baltimore had.
January 11, 2021 - Doug Pederson fired by the Eagles.

January 14, 2021 - Urban Meyer hired by the Jaguars.
There are so many, but here is one from the distant past. Before the 1996 draft, Tom Coughlin tried to trade picks #9 and #21 to the Bears for pick #5. Coughlin was targeting RB Curtis Enis. The Bears turned it down, and Coughlin drafted Fred Taylor #9 and Donovin Darius #21.
(06-21-2023, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]There are so many, but here is one from the distant past.  Before the 1996 draft, Tom Coughlin tried to trade picks #9 and #21 to the Bears for pick #5.  Coughlin was targeting RB Curtis Enis.  The Bears turned it down, and Coughlin drafted Fred Taylor #9 and Donovin Darius #21.

Our luck held out on that one.
(06-21-2023, 09:53 AM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]There are so many, but here is one from the distant past.  Before the 1996 draft, Tom Coughlin tried to trade picks #9 and #21 to the Bears for pick #5.  Coughlin was targeting RB Curtis Enis.  The Bears turned it down, and Coughlin drafted Fred Taylor #9 and Donovin Darius #21.

Was going to cite that Rob Johnson trade to Buffalo to pick-up that number 9th overall selection. Glad it fell the way it did. Giving up two picks to get Enis over Taylor. Dodged a few bullets there. Taylor is my all time favorite Jaguar. Not even close for me personally. Darius is still one of the greatest, if not, the greatest hitter we ever had on defense and he was apart of a lot of our better franchise moments.
What if Frank Gore never happened and the Jags ended up with Field/Wilson/Lance instead of Trevor?

Big yikes.
(06-21-2023, 11:24 AM)Cleatwood Wrote: [ -> ]What if Frank Gore never happened and the Jags ended up with Field/Wilson/Lance instead of Trevor?

Big yikes.

Yeah. That's another good one. I hope Lawrence wins us at least one Superbowl man. Would be perfect.
Every team in the league could play this game.
(06-21-2023, 11:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Every team in the league could play this game.

Yeah. It's fun to play revisionist sometimes I guess. It's the dead season after all. Across the league historically. I think these are interesting. 

Steelers passing up on Dan Marino. 
Patriots not drafting Tom Brady. 
Baltimore convincing John Elway to stay. 
Bo Jackson's career not being cut short. 
Eli Manning playing for the Chargers. 
Philip Rivers playing for the Giants.

Here's another one. To bring it back locally. Too lazy to look it up, but, I recall reading way back in elementary school about the New Orleans Saints possibly relocating to us in Jacksonville back in the 1980's? That would have been interesting. Or, I thought at some point we were going to be in the NFC instead of the AFC.
(06-21-2023, 11:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2023, 11:37 AM)RicoTx Wrote: [ -> ]Every team in the league could play this game.

Yeah. It's fun to play revisionist sometimes I guess. It's the dead season after all. Across the league historically. I think these are interesting. 

Here's another one. To bring it back locally. Too lazy to look it up, but, I recall reading way back in elementary school about the New Orleans Saints possibly relocating to us in Jacksonville back in the 1980's? That would have been interesting. Or, I thought at some point we were going to be in the NFC instead of the AFC.

Saban signing Drew Brees in Miami would be another interesting one. Would have greatly altered Miami, New Orleans, and Alabama’s timelines.
(06-21-2023, 11:49 AM)HolsterHusto Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-21-2023, 11:41 AM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah. It's fun to play revisionist sometimes I guess. It's the dead season after all. Across the league historically. I think these are interesting. 

Saban signing Drew Brees in Miami would be another interesting one. Would have greatly altered Miami, New Orleans, and Alabama’s timelines.

That's a good one. That's a triple threat for sure. Think he ended up with Culpepper in Miami. I don't think he was the same after his knee injury. Carson Palmer is another guy I think about. I wonder if he would have turned out better had it not been for that ACL injury. It plagued him throughout his career and caught up to him twice. He was a decent QB in the NFL despite all of that. Same for Andrew Luck. Had it not been for the injuries he would still be playing at 33 and making our lives difficult in the AFC South. RGIII also comes to mind. Was never the same after his knee injury.
Pages: 1 2 3