Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Press Taylor to be full time play caller for 2023 season
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1700...93231?s=20

This has been mentioned before, but be ready for Press to be on other teams' short lists for head coach as early as next year.
Not sure how i feel about that.

He'll still have Doug in his ear I suppose.
Nope. Don’t like that.
I’m not a fan, not because I have any idea about press play calls but because I see no reason to move away from Doug whos as good as anyone I’ve seen in the league at it.

my only hope is it’s more of a way to publicly give him more props to assist in a head coach job, similar to chiefs it was always Andy Reid calling plays but publicly it was always a joint collaboration with bienemy
I trust Dougs decision
From the article:

Quote:"It's kind of like coach (Andy) Reid did with me in 2015 in Kansas City," Pederson said. "Coach Reid would call the first half and he would let me call the second half with a very watchful eye."

Sounds like Doug will be ready to intervene if he doesn't like something.
(09-10-2023, 09:21 AM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]From the article:

Quote:"It's kind of like coach (Andy) Reid did with me in 2015 in Kansas City," Pederson said. "Coach Reid would call the first half and he would let me call the second half with a very watchful eye."

Sounds like Doug will be ready to intervene if he doesn't like something.

I would 100% expect this. I don't think there's any way that Doug, an offensive guru, let's bad calls continue to happen in a game without taking over.
I trust Doug and our staff.
Interesting but he has veto power. This is the year to do it. The division is weak and ripe for the taking and outside of those big five games and maybe two other 50/50 games we should be looking at 10 wins.

Hopefully this enables Doug to scheme something up or dial something up that breaks a game open.

He might see something Press can't see like Press can see something Doug can't see because they're invested heavily in the playcall sheet.

You need a tendency breaker.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
Surprised this was made public. And surprised it was announced right before the opening game of the season. Any struggle, or perceived struggle, from the offense this season will have everyone thinking about this. Will create a ton of noise that would be better handled internally.
(09-10-2023, 11:37 AM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]Surprised this was made public. And surprised it was announced right before the opening game of the season. Any struggle, or perceived struggle, from the offense this season will have everyone thinking about this. Will create a ton of noise that would be better handled internally.

Agree but that's probably not how ambitious, up and coming, coordinators want it handled.  If you want the next job, you want it out there that you were calling plays of that very successful offense and you want it out there ahead of time, not having your HC just vouch for you after the year is over.  This announcement is all about Press's resume and not much else.
I trust Doug.
In Doug we trust.

Like others have mentioned, this might be more of a "collaborative" effort where Press gets some recognition for his own coaching aspirations.
Pederson has proven to be UNIQUE w/respect to offensive play calling. I agreed 95% and disagreed 5% even though some of those 5% made me jump for joy. As per reading the comments within this thread, I see where he's coming from via. allowing Press to call the plays. Also if Press does good, we'll be looking for another OC real soon. Pederson is building his own tree just like Reed did.

Time Will Tell.

NH3...
https://twitter.com/MiaOBrienTV/status/1...5165624745

This was also in the article, but for anyone that didn't want to read it.  This was also from a team source.

Even without that knowledge, I don't think this is a big deal.  Taylor probably got a bit more hate for his Eagles tenure than is deserved, the receiving weapons were absolute garbage and Wentz has shown through multiple other teams/regimes and even going back to Reich that he just wasn't good.  Pederson is more than likely a better play caller, but Press has been with him for several years now and obviously been involved heavily.  Plus Pederson is still going to be there and can make any calls he feels he needs to.
I am open minded. Let's give him a chance.
Let’s go jags. We will see how this goes.
Most likely this is a big nothing-burger.  Most plays are already scripted anyway.
Mid third quarter and pretty sure this is gonna be part of the conversation on monday
Yep he bad
Pages: 1 2 3