Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Darious Williams is PFF's #1 corner this year.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I know he has been balling but didn't know he was locking the receivers up like that.  Wow 

https://x.com/PFF_Jaguars/status/1720051...40906?s=20
He's been fantastic this year.
Feels like it he's always making plays every game
It's weird because Campbell was considered our "shut down" guy. Williams was signed as a nickel, where he was mediocre. Having him on the other side has been great, making plays on the ball when it's thrown his way. This defense has been giving me 2017 vibes lately.
Great to see. He played well for the rams before he was a jag too.
Hopefully he's on the priority list for extending.
(11-03-2023, 04:45 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's weird because Campbell was considered our "shut down" guy.  Williams was signed as a nickel,  where he was mediocre.  Having him on the other side has been great,  making plays on the ball when it's thrown his way.  This defense has been giving me 2017 vibes lately.

Another example of our personnel strategy getting lucky with a guy. The problem is we miss way too often and end up with a roster of Chaissons.
(11-03-2023, 09:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 04:45 AM)JaguarJosh2 Wrote: [ -> ]It's weird because Campbell was considered our "shut down" guy.  Williams was signed as a nickel,  where he was mediocre.  Having him on the other side has been great,  making plays on the ball when it's thrown his way.  This defense has been giving me 2017 vibes lately.

Another example of our personnel strategy getting lucky with a guy. The problem is we miss way too often and end up with a roster of Chaissons.

This. They're starting to get good results out of Lloyd now after he played outside backer at Utah and the jury is still out for Walker. Fortner still leaves a lot to be desired in year two. I think they'll give him a shot at guard though at the minimum before outright giving up on him completely.

0k, how many Chassons do we have?
(11-03-2023, 05:08 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 09:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Another example of our personnel strategy getting lucky with a guy. The problem is we miss way too often and end up with a roster of Chaissons.

1.  That's it.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Baalke.  Maybe his drafting abilities are something to argue.  But his overall ability to build a roster seems pretty solid...  We have talent at every level.  

Hell, Darius Williams was another great free agent signing.  And these guys are trying to throw cold water on it?
(11-03-2023, 05:08 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 09:24 AM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Another example of our personnel strategy getting lucky with a guy. The problem is we miss way too often and end up with a roster of Chaissons.

Not to mention, Dave Caldwell drafted Chaisson
(11-03-2023, 05:50 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 05:08 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]0k, how many Chassons do we have?

1.  That's it.

I'm not sure why everyone is so down on Baalke.  Maybe his drafting abilities are something to argue.  But his overall ability to build a roster seems pretty solid...  We have talent at every level.  

Hell, Darius Williams was another great free agent signing.  And these guys are trying to throw cold water on it?

Free agents aren't how you sustain success, especially when they can't even play well the position you thought you were signing them to play. Baalke is going to screw this up, it's just a matter of time.
(11-03-2023, 06:39 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 05:08 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]0k, how many Chassons do we have?

Not to mention, Dave Caldwell drafted Chaisson

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=http...AdAAAAABAJ
(11-03-2023, 06:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 05:50 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]1.  That's it.

Free agents aren't how you sustain success, especially when they can't even play well the position you thought you were signing them to play. Baalke is going to screw this up, it's just a matter of time.

That dog gone Evan Engram.  He's not gonna last.  That jerk store Christain Kirk.  He's not gonna last.  That loser Zay Jones, he's so terrible in the red zone.  

Tevin Jenkins blows, how did we keep him after 2022?  But clearly he sucks now.  Oloukon is such garbage.  Clearly he's only been good for 2 years because he sucks and Baalke sucks for even thinking these guys are good.

It's hilarious to watch you guys hate on Baalke but give Press Taylor a pass.  The Free Agency and Trade acquisitions we've gotten over the last 3 years are glorious.  And you hate on them?  It's too much, man.  Sit back and think it through...  This whole team is Baalke's work.  Baalke drafted Fortner.  That dude is a liability.  But he's still good enough to start. 

Name a Baalke draft pick that is killing us right now besides Fortner.  Name a Baalke signing besides Sheriff that is killing out team.  You can't.  This team is solid.  The players are solid up and down.  And Doug Pederson knows how to get the most out of a team.

Just to say, that Darious Willams is a hell of a player. We should all be praising the acquisition. And yet some here are big mad because it doesn't fit their Bull [BLEEP] agenda. That's pretty pathetic, yo.
(11-03-2023, 06:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 05:50 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]1.  That's it.

ok he has had 3 drafts.  one with Urban as a partner and 2 with Doug.

Timeline
2020, Baalke was promoted to interim general manager
Retained as general manager after the season.
2021 re vamps Jaguars scouting department.
Many long tenured scouts replaced.

With Urban as a partner 2021
Drafted 9 players 6 currently on our roster
Free agent class of 8 players 4 currently on our roster

With Doug as a partner 2022
Drafted 6 players 5 currently on our roster
Free agent class of 11 players 7 currently on our roster (includes Key who we let walk)

With Doug as a partner 2023
Drafted 13 players 9 currently on our roster (includes Miller/Tugboat who are on IR)
Free agent class of 9 players 5 currently on our roster

The team won the division last year and are 6-2 so far this year.
Since they are selecting humans all GM's miss and screw up time to time.
Maybe he will mess up next year??
He gets lucky a lot...lol
(11-03-2023, 07:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 06:58 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]Free agents aren't how you sustain success, especially when they can't even play well the position you thought you were signing them to play. Baalke is going to screw this up, it's just a matter of time.

That dog gone Evan Engram.  He's not gonna last.  That jerk store Christain Kirk.  He's not gonna last.  That loser Zay Jones, he's so terrible in the red zone.  

Tevin Jenkins blows, how did we keep him after 2022?  But clearly he sucks now.  Oloukon is such garbage.  Clearly he's only been good for 2 years because he sucks and Baalke sucks for even thinking these guys are good.

It's hilarious to watch you guys hate on Baalke but give Press Taylor a pass.  The Free Agency and Trade acquisitions we've gotten over the last 3 years are glorious.  And you hate on them?  It's too much, man.  Sit back and think it through...  This whole team is Baalke's work.  Baalke drafted Fortner.  That dude is a liability.  But he's still good enough to start. 

Name a Baalke draft pick that is killing us right now besides Fortner.  Name a Baalke signing besides Sheriff that is killing out team.  You can't.  This team is solid.  The players are solid up and down.  And Doug Pederson knows how to get the most out of a team.

Just to say, that Darious Willams is a hell of a player.  We should all be praising the acquisition.  And yet some here are big mad because it doesn't fit their Bull [BLEEP] agenda.  That's pretty pathetic, yo.

No one is hating on them dude, it's that we won't have the most money in the League to spend in two more years to bring in another class like that. It was a once a generation occurrence and, again, not a long term strategy for success. You just can't see past the end of your nose to know what the problems are. It's why you have ot out for Press Taylor the way you do, because you're short sighted.
Having two Lockdown Corners seems to be the key to jaguar success as of the past decade.
(11-03-2023, 08:04 PM)flsprtsgod Wrote: [ -> ]
(11-03-2023, 07:27 PM)carp8dm Wrote: [ -> ]That dog gone Evan Engram.  He's not gonna last.  That jerk store Christain Kirk.  He's not gonna last.  That loser Zay Jones, he's so terrible in the red zone.  

Just to say, that Darious Willams is a hell of a player.  We should all be praising the acquisition.  And yet some here are big mad because it doesn't fit their Bull [BLEEP] agenda.  That's pretty pathetic, yo.

No one is hating on them dude, it's that we won't have the most money in the League to spend in two more years to bring in another class like that. It was a once a generation occurrence and, again, not a long term strategy for success. You just can't see past the end of your nose to know what the problems are. It's why you have ot out for Press Taylor the way you do, because you're short sighted.

I hear you, know where you are going.  I am worried as much as you are.  The financial dance should begin this off season. Do they have a multi year plan? I would say it is more of an outline than plan as variables change due to things they do not control. Being GM/HC is like playing a non stop game of whack-a-mole. Will they share it with you?  heck no. Will it be exactly as you like it? Probably not, you can email them and ask but don't hold your breath.  Why might what they think be different from us?  Well, we have only stats and results on field we can see. We do not see the human side as they do because we just don't have that access. We don't see the development of the players in practice. What can be done in practice takes a bit to show up on the field sometimes.  We also do not have their past experience.  (unless you happened to be secretly a successful coach/GM I don't know about)  We are unfortunately all drawing conclusions on incomplete information.  

We can have opinions and be concerned. That's quite the right way to be. You have quite a few good ones. What I believe unfair is when something works out the way they expect say it is just LUCKY.  

2022 was a one time occurrence needed to get our #1draft choice some tools so he could develop.  I actually credit a bunch of it to our coach as he did say in one presser he had spent a lot of time during his year off looking at players both college and pro. We are as stated in the Draft and develop mode. Baalkie /Doug have said this and FA's were too expensive so they know that is not the answer going forward.  Maybe a reason we didn't give up any high draft picks for short term rentals for players other teams do not plan on signing next year. (we could also cancel out next year's compensatory picks doing this as well)

Imo, this is why it's so important to have a good coaching staff. I'm not always convinced scouts get "it" or whatever "it" is. I think good coaching staffs take what they are given and find the talent and put it in the best position to succeed. So long as they can get the best out of what they are given (and given any talent at all), good coaches make scouting guys look good.

Another example of our personnel strategy getting lucky with a guy.
The problem is we miss way too often and end up with a roster of Chaissons.

We're having a great season why must our own fans take shots at our team? We get enough of that from the rest of the league.
Pages: 1 2