Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Regular season in review
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
As we play a de facto playoff game this weekend (for us at least) against the tacks, let's revisit the year and how we got here, specifically from being a shoo-in for the playoffs and playing for the 1 seed to winding up starting the playoffs two weeks early attempting to lock up a spot in the dance as the 4 seed and the AFCS.  Here's the schedule with results and the opposing team's record minus the game(s) they played against us and key injuries/suspensions:

Jags @ clots   31-21 W  (clots 9-5)  (Cam suspended weeks 1-4) (DHam, Smoot enter season injured)
chefs @ Jags  17-9 L  (chefs 9-6)  (Zay injured)
tinhorns @ Jags  37-17  L  (tinhorns 8-6) 
dirty birds @ Jags (London)  7-23 W  (birds 7-8)
Jags @ biffs (London)  25-20  W  (biffs 10-5) (Cam returns from suspension) (Little injured) (Zay returns from injury, but re-aggravates it)
clots @ Jags  20-37  W  (clots 9-5)  (Smoot returns from injury) (Trevor, Campbell injured)
Jags @ aints  31-24  W  (aints 8-7) (Trevor returns from injury) (Cisco injured)
Jags @ squealers  20-10  W  (squealers 9-6) (Little, DHam return from injury) 
BYE
niners @ Jags  34-3  L  (niners 11-4) (Campbell, Cisco return) (Ezra Cleveland added via trade) (Agnew injured) 
tacks @ Jags  14-34  W  (tacks 5-10) (Zay returns from injury) (DHam, Campbell out) 
Jags @ tinhorns  24-21  W  (tinhorns 8-6) (DHam, Campbell out) (Cam injured) 
bungles @ Jags  34-31  L  (bungles 7-8) (DHam, Campbell return) (Trevor, Kirk, Herndon injured) 
Jags @ turds  27-31  L  (turds 10-5) (Trevor returns from injury) (Campbell, Fatukasi out) (Cisco injured)
ratbirds @ Jags  23-7  L  (ratbirds 12-3) (Agnew, Herndon, Fatukasi return from injury) (Campbell out) (Zay injured) 
Jags @ yucks  12-30  L  (yucks 7-8) (Campbell, Cisco return) (Trevor injured)
teppertantrums @ Jags  0-26  W  (teppertantrums 2-13) (Cam returns from injury) (Agnew injured)
Jags @ tacks  ??

A few thoughts: 

1) Our schedule was difficult when looking at the records of the opposition. Only 2 games so far against teams that are significantly below .500 which include the game we just played against the teppertantrums and the game we played earlier against the tacks whom we play again this weekend.  Everyone else is hovering around .500 or above.

2) (a) Injuries (and end of half mismanagement) have killed us this year.  We've had a lot of starters/key guys out at different times this year or playing no where near 100%.  All teams suffer injury, but our roster is not yet deep enough to shrug off what our team has had to deal with this year.  That depth will come from new additions in the offseason, but may also come from depth guys continuing to develop.  
(bThe O-line is bad, but we could overcome that at times when relatively healthy everywhere else on offense which has not been a reality during the second half of the year.  If not for Trevor's injury against the bungles, I think we win that game regardless of how the defense was playing.  The Kirk injury seems to have been very problematic for us as well.  Barring both of those injuries, I think we win against the turds the following week as well and I expect we'll win this weekend and face them again at home in two weeks hopefully with everyone that isn't out for the season healthy and ready to go.

3) The ratbirds, the consensus best team in the league right now, we were hanging toe to toe with entering the 4th quarter as a 10-7 game.  We also mismanaged the end of the 1st half and left at least 3 points out there (we left a lot of points out there all season, even during the winning streak).  The ratbirds have destroyed the niners and fish in the two weeks following that game.

4) Assuming we win this weekend and enter the playoffs as the 4 seed, I think this team is being overlooked by pretty much everyone with the way the 2nd half of the season has gone for us and I think the vast majority of our losses are best explained by injury and self-inflicted wounds than by necessarily being out matched by the opposition.  yucks and niners games were god awful for sure.  I think I might've seen this movie before though. The '06 clots, '08 cards, '09 aints, '11 g-men and '12 ratbirds all had similar regular season ending collapses, yet still secured a playoff spot and made it all the way to the super bowl with the clots, g-men, aints and ratbirds winning it in their respective years. 

Let's take care of business this weekend and put them away early, please!
Jags have played the 2nd hardest schedule in the NFL this season. If they can get to 10 wins and a division title, that is some accomplishment.
The left side of the O line is holding this team back. Almost all of our offensive woes can be attributed to that.
(01-04-2024, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The left side of the O line is holding this team back. Almost all of our offensive woes can be attributed to that.

I agree that our offensive line is the cause of all of our problems on offense.  In my opinion, it's mostly the Center.
The latest analytics with current W/L record league wide rate the Jags SoS at #3 in the league. They played a lot of competitive teams.

Jags should have handled business in the losses vs the tinhorns and browns.
Straight up bad football performance caused those two losses.
You can make various little gripes and look at matchups, injuries,  and other reasons for some of the other losses, but the Jags can only look in the mirror on those two IMO.

The game this weekend should be a similar scenario to those in that the Jags will only have themselves to blame if they drop this game.

My biggest takeaway from the regular season is that the horrible play from the offensive line kept our offense from probably 15-20% more production and fans that hyped themselves all offseason for a prolific offense were sorely disappointed.

Despite all of the whining, shark jumping, finger-pointing, and gnashing of teeth over the offense by the fans - the Jags still find themselves 9th in passing yards, and 13th in points forced.  Not bad really - just imagine that with a viable run game/capable OL.
Fingers crossed for 2024.

I the Jags can get past the tacks and somehow find themselves a bit healthier going into a playoff game, the have could compete with any AFC squad IF they limit or eliminate mistakes. 

I'm not super optimistic about advancing in the playoffs, but I think the team may be focused enough right now to take care of business in Nashville and reach the postseason. 

Getting to the big dance in 2024/5 is going to require a much better OL (run and pass) , another step forward in maturation by the QB (less hero ball and more taking what is there/throw aways) , and a back seven on defense that can more consistently play disciplined ball in coverage and second level tackling.
[Image: GC7qgPUXwAAY5AU?format=jpg&name=medium] Just to ilustrate what people been saying
(01-04-2024, 02:25 PM)Marcos25067 Wrote: [ -> ][Image: GC7qgPUXwAAY5AU?format=jpg&name=medium] Just to ilustrate what people been saying

The tinhorn head looks like the buffalo is supposed to be it's body.
Jags should honestly be a dark horse candidate to go on a run. Most of that skid was due to injury, and a lot of our offensive woes have been due to no Cam, no Zay, no Kirk, and nobody at guard and center.

We’re looking at all that (besides center) being remedied and being the team that was 8-3 this year and 7-2 down the stretch last year.

Not saying I’m calling it but don’t be surprised. Team also needs to see how thin their margin was this year and actually have answers on the line and behind Zay.
(01-04-2024, 03:14 PM)NoShoes Wrote: [ -> ]Jags should honestly be a dark horse candidate to go on a run. Most of that skid was due to injury, and a lot of our offensive woes have been due to no Cam, no Zay, no Kirk, and nobody at guard and center.

We’re looking at all that (besides center) being remedied and being the team that was 8-3 this year and 7-2 down the stretch last year.

Not saying I’m calling it but don’t be surprised. Team also needs to see how thin their margin was this year and actually have answers on the line and behind Zay.

I won't be surprised if we go on a run in the playoffs, and I won't be surprised if we get eliminated on Sunday.  It's been that kind of year.
(01-04-2024, 03:18 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2024, 03:14 PM)NoShoes Wrote: [ -> ]Jags should honestly be a dark horse candidate to go on a run. Most of that skid was due to injury, and a lot of our offensive woes have been due to no Cam, no Zay, no Kirk, and nobody at guard and center.

I won't be surprised if we go on a run in the playoffs, and I won't be surprised if we get eliminated on Sunday.  It's been that kind of year.

They literally have a range of AFC title game to not even making the post season and I wouldn’t be surprised at any of it.
We were extremely close to being eliminated in Week 18 last season but got a defensive TD off of a Josh Dobbs fumble to win the game. TL was terrible in that game.

It the Titans would have eliminated the Jags last season and this season, or fanbase would be on the brink .....
(01-04-2024, 11:26 AM)homebiscuit Wrote: [ -> ]The left side of the O line is holding this team back. Almost all of our offensive woes can be attributed to that.

It’s the center left.
Strength and conditioning has been pretty damn good this season. I know injuries happen and had a few scares, but overall, I'm happy and injuries have been limited.

Fingers crossed on getting Kirk back and keeping Trev healthy!!
Because of the 4 game skid against good to great teams, ive got 50-50 confidence if they make the playoffs. I think they can take the Browns this time around at home and out of the cold. Dont think they beat the Colts 3 times in a row tho. Doubt they beat the Chefs or Bills either.
(01-04-2024, 03:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]We were extremely close to being eliminated in Week 18 last season but got a defensive TD off of a Josh Dobbs fumble to win the game.  TL was terrible in that game.

It the Titans would have eliminated the Jags last season and this season, or fanbase would be on the brink .....

No he wasn't and even without the scoop and score, it would have wound up being 4th down with an ensuing punt with over 2 1/2 minutes left in a 13-16 game.  TLaw was 20 of 32 for 212 yards with a TD and a fumble with no running game supporting him.  Sure, the tacks came to play that game, and had a great gameplan to chew up clock (they possessed the ball for 13 minutes more than we did) and keep our offense on the sidelines with Henry getting 30 carries, but it was a defensive battle which happens sometimes.  It felt, to me, for the entire game that as soon as we took the lead the tacks would fold.  Unfortunately that didn't happen until the final few minutes of the game, but in a forced 4 down territory environment with the ball and 2 1/2 minutes or more left, we were absolutely getting a field goal or better in that scenario.
(01-04-2024, 04:53 PM)Jaguarmeister Wrote: [ -> ]
(01-04-2024, 03:40 PM)HURRICANE!!! Wrote: [ -> ]We were extremely close to being eliminated in Week 18 last season but got a defensive TD off of a Josh Dobbs fumble to win the game.  TL was terrible in that game.

No he wasn't and even without the scoop and score, it would have wound up being 4th down with an ensuing punt with over 2 1/2 minutes left in a 13-16 game.  TLaw was 20 of 32 for 212 yards with a TD and a fumble with no running game supporting him.  Sure, the tacks came to play that game, and had a great gameplan to chew up clock (they possessed the ball for 13 minutes more than we did) and keep our offense on the sidelines with Henry getting 30 carries, but it was a defensive battle which happens sometimes.  It felt, to me, for the entire game that as soon as we took the lead the tacks would fold.  Unfortunately that didn't happen until the final few minutes of the game, but in a forced 4 down territory environment with the ball and 2 1/2 minutes or more left, we were absolutely getting a field goal or better in that scenario.

Ok, perhaps TL wasn't "terrible" but the Titans dominated that game gaining 312 yards to our 222 yards and dominated the time of possession 36:12 to 23:48.  The Titans were up 16-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter and the Jags offense only scored 13 total points so I consider the Jags very LUCKY to win that game and further fortunate the Titans were playing with their backup QB.   That said, a loss in that game means the Chargers comeback victory never happens and we are left here down and depressed.  Luckily, that did NOT happen so optimism prevails as we enter into this week 18 once again ..... another victory over the hated Titans to secure a playoff birth would make things even that much sweeter.
If I could have one win it would be against the Bengals during MNF that game took a lot of wind out of our sails.

Overall if this team had a better OL and was healthier we would be looking at 13-4 or 14-3
This season will go down as a massive failure. 8-3 to out of the playoffs. Should be a top 10 all time meltdown list if the NFL ever does those silly top 10 of all time shows. What a disgrace of a showing today, and over the last 5-6 weeks.
We suck again. Big surprise (not).
early season we looked like a plaoff team. since bengals game we are back to sucking.  we only beat panthers cause they suck worse.
Pages: 1 2