Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Williams Expected to be Cut
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Wow. Mike Derocco reports Jaguars expected to release Williams. 1010xl is talking about it now.

Buster Brown get ready. Or we’re going cb in round 1
https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/1765...31698?s=20

Welp - CB at 17 it is then...

I like the money saved, don't love seeing talent walk.

I guess we finally got a real answer to whether or not Nielsen was gonna' run his man coverage based scheme with a bunch of zone players or not.
Williams was the best defensive back on the team last year. This was a shock for me.
Great. So now we have holes at CB, WR, DL, and OL. SURE GLAD WE KEEP DRAFTING OFF BALL LBS.

There are some decent CBs in FA. I'd rather do that than draft one.
Ugh another BaAlKe MaStErClAsS in action. He's an above average corner at the tail end of his prime on a team friendly contract. I love Montaric Brown and have since he was drafted, and Tyson Campbell when healthy can really play now that he fixed his ball tracking issues when the pass is in the air. I just don't love creating holes where there don't need to be. Rayshawn Jenkins shouldve been cut before Williams imho.
was it his birthday today?

(03-05-2024, 12:32 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: [ -> ]Great.  So now we have holes at CB, WR, DL, and OL. SURE GLAD WE KEEP DRAFTING OFF BALL LBS.

There are some decent CBs in FA.  I'd rather do that than draft one.

only one in the first I target is Mitchell.

It tends to be a deep position in the darft, though, you can find affordable replacements without having to make a splash in FA.
(03-05-2024, 12:37 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh another BaAlKe MaStErClAsS in action. He's an above average corner at the tail end of his prime on a team friendly contract. I love Montaric Brown and have since he was drafted, and Tyson Campbell when healthy can really play now that he fixed his ball tracking issues when the pass is in the air. I just don't love creating holes where there don't need to be. Rayshawn Jenkins shouldve been cut before Williams imho.

$12M is team friendly?

This is absolutely a cap cleaning move. We freed 11.5M letting him go.
The impetus is now on Campbell to not only be the man out there, but to stay healthy too.
The bigger issue here isn't the players or the cap as much as it is the overall team management. Changing a defensive coordinator shouldn't require a major overhaul of talent due to change in scheme. The front office / head coach should be deciding what type of team they are from the get go. Philosophy, design, the type of players they want, etc... When they chose Caldwell they should have done so because he fit the philosophy and mentality they wanted. If for whatever reason he doesn't work out, the answer shouldn't be to start all over again with a new type of coordinator with a different scheme requiring different players. Total lack of vision and development of the organization as a whole. In theory that should fall on both Baalke and Pederson. But of course none of us knows for sure if they are on the same page and if not, who is actually pulling the strings. No matter how you slice it, this isn't being managed well.
(03-05-2024, 12:37 PM)Firesky Wrote: [ -> ]Ugh another BaAlKe MaStErClAsS in action. He's an above average corner at the tail end of his prime on a team friendly contract. I love Montaric Brown and have since he was drafted, and Tyson Campbell when healthy can really play now that he fixed his ball tracking issues when the pass is in the air. I just don't love creating holes where there don't need to be. Rayshawn Jenkins shouldve been cut before Williams imho.

We have 5 guys already in house competing for that spot before we do anything else this offseason, I don't think it's the hole you think it is. If we really want "draft and develop" then this is what it looks like, take replacements and work them in when the money and production is favorable.
(03-05-2024, 12:57 PM)rfc17 Wrote: [ -> ]The bigger issue here isn't the players or the cap as much as it is the overall team management.  Changing a defensive coordinator shouldn't require a major overhaul of talent due to change in scheme.  The front office / head coach should be deciding what type of team they are from the get go.  Philosophy, design, the type of players they want, etc...  When they chose Caldwell they should have done so because he fit the philosophy and mentality they wanted.  If for whatever reason he doesn't work out, the answer shouldn't be to start all over again with a new type of coordinator with a different scheme requiring different players.  Total lack of vision and development of the organization as a whole.  In theory that should fall on both Baalke and Pederson.  But of course none of us knows for sure if they are on the same page and if not, who is actually pulling the strings.  No matter how you slice it, this isn't being managed well.

This isn't an overhaul.

They are literally clearing the most obvious bad cap hits while simultaneously giving the new staff an opportunity to handpick some strategic fits for the new scheme. 

Williams is the only player thus far that wasn't already a consensus assumption to be cut and his cap hit + the desire for more man coverage warrants it. 

They just have to get the second phase of this thing right by selecting proper replacements or they're screwed.

BTW - Pederson and Caldwell apparently were on the same page in 2022 and trying to install a man heavy scheme initially until it failed because they didn't have the horses in the secondary. That was bad roster eval on their part, so after Caldwell apparently rubbed Doug the wrong way in a number of ways (rumors flying about this) the fact that a new DC is going to be able to change some personnel is no shock to me.
This was a shock to me.
I know he has a significant cap hit but his play warrants it for me
This is a shock but at the same time they clearly feel his cap hit isn't worth his man coverage ability. I'll hold any judgment on this until we know who the replacement is.
It's not a shock. It's business. I think it's more of a concern for me though personally because it just seems like we're taking a lot of risks, again, also apart of business, but, when you take these risks it also often times means that you're going to be doing it at the expense of something else.

Having to backfill or hope that a guy that you drafted last year is the answer is apart of the game. It's early. It's overreaction Tuesday for sure. Again, all of that can be put to rest with a few key signings next week.
(03-05-2024, 02:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a shock. It's business. I think it's more of a concern for me though personally because it just seems like we're taking a lot of risks, again, also apart of business, but, when you take these risks it also often times means that you're going to be doing it at the expense of something else.

Having to backfill or hope that a guy that you drafted last year is the answer is apart of the game. It's early. It's overreaction Tuesday for sure. Again, all of that can be put to rest with a few key signings next week.

Relax man, they have guys and the offseason. It's going to be ok. I'm far more worried about the lines than the DBs.
(03-05-2024, 02:01 PM)Caldrac Wrote: [ -> ]It's not a shock. It's business. I think it's more of a concern for me though personally because it just seems like we're taking a lot of risks, again, also apart of business, but, when you take these risks it also often times means that you're going to be doing it at the expense of something else.

I'm worried about the selections made in the draft and the acquisitions made in FA to replace these cuts.
But I expected Fatukasi and Jenkins to be gone and D-Will was on the radar at least for the cap hit. 

Just comes down to how many whiffs in FA we see this time, and whether or not they can get immediate quality starts from a few draft picks. 

Hoping free agency quells some concern for all of us.
I'd have kept Williams and let Robinson go. Mitchell is the only corner I'd really like at pick 17 and he'll be gone. Wiggins is a risky pick, but does have talent. I'd prefer trading back to get an extra pick and then take Rakestraw or T.J. Tampa at the end of round 1 or in round 2 respectively.
(03-05-2024, 02:48 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have kept Williams and let Robinson go. Mitchell is the only corner I'd really like at pick 17 and he'll be gone. Wiggins is a risky pick, but does have talent. I'd prefer trading back to get an extra pick and then take Rakestraw or T.J. Tampa at the end of round 1 or in round 2 respectively.

Agreed.
(03-05-2024, 12:32 PM)Khan Artist Wrote: [ -> ]Great. So now we have holes at CB, WR, DL, and OL. SURE GLAD WE KEEP DRAFTING OFF BALL LBS.

There are some decent CBs in FA. I'd rather do that than draft one.

I like the cut. Certainly appears that the team will be adding more press/man coverage corners.

I too would prefer to see corner addressed via free agency. Add to the trenches with the top draft picks imo. Free agency as well.

Hoping Robinson is cut or traded soon. Probably in the minority here but I want to add more than many in free agency.
(03-05-2024, 02:48 PM)jaglou53 Wrote: [ -> ]I'd have kept Williams and let Robinson go. Mitchell is the only corner I'd really like at pick 17 and he'll be gone. Wiggins is a risky pick, but does have talent. I'd prefer trading back to get an extra pick and then take Rakestraw or T.J. Tampa at the end of round 1 or in round 2 respectively.

Mitchell and DeJean.  Only 2 I'd feel good with at 17
(03-05-2024, 02:51 PM)flgatorsandjags Wrote: [ -> ]

Mitchell and DeJean.  Only 2 I'd feel good with at 17

With Allen being tagged it nearly guarantees that Ridley is probably bolting to the highest bidder next week. 

WR and CB are the positions to watch closely now at 17, unless they bargain bin a good WR or CB next week to supplement for the losses of Ridley and Williams.

Personally? I think finding a CB in free agency is more likely to be decent enough to replace Williams in 2024, as Tyson Campbell is "technically" the CB1 here on our defense. 

I think WR has to be the play at 17. Has to be. It's a deep class, but, the top tier guys there are must have's in my opinion. Wouldn't mind a trade up for Rome Odunze but you have to find a willing trade partner for that, if they stand there at 17? Brian Thomas Jr. would be ideal, but, if he's gone?

I would rather them trade down. Not high on Adonai Mitchell personally.
Pages: 1 2 3