Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Offensive Line: This should get both Doug and Baalke fired if it does not work
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Many things could change before next season. Doug and Baalke both believe they have their guys. Listening to them speak praises and actually resigning the same players. Cam looks to stay on the roster. Cleveland stunk for us but got a new deal. Scheriff has been average but is staying.  What they are saying is the players are good enough but it was the coaching and development was the problem. I disagree, I believe it's more Joe's over X's and O's.  Good players will still be good even without great coaching. We had probably the worst offensive line in the league last year. WE watched time and time again how they could not convert on 3rd and short and fourth and short. We watched Lawrence taking a pounding. We watched players in the backfield on running plays as soon as the ball was handed off. We watched this line get bullied most of the year. 

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

Doug and Baalke from their interviews seem to believe this line is not the problem.  So if this line fails again. These two should be blamed right after the season and handed their walking papers. Protecting the QB should be the top priority for this offense. He will have a very short career if we see a repeat of last year. I don't want to see another Joe Burrow(better when healthy than Lawrence IMO) where the injuries have added up and may cost him his career.
(03-10-2024, 04:00 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Many things could change before next season. Doug and Baalke both believe they have their guys. Listening to them speak praises and actually resigning the same players. Cam looks to stay on the roster. Cleveland stunk for us but got a new deal. Scheriff has been average but is staying.  What they are saying is the players are good enough but it was the coaching and development was the problem. I disagree, I believe it's more Joe's over X's and O's.  Good players will still be good even without great coaching. We had probably the worst offensive line in the league last year. WE watched time and time again how they could not convert on 3rd and short and fourth and short. We watched Lawrence taking a pounding. We watched players in the backfield on running plays as soon as the ball was handed off. We watched this line get bullied most of the year. 

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein.

Doug and Baalke from their interviews seem to believe this line is not the problem.  So if this line fails again. These two should be blamed right after the season and handed their walking papers. Protecting the QB should be the top priority for this offense. He will have a very short career if we see a repeat of last year. I don't want to see another Joe Burrow(better when healthy than Lawrence IMO) where the injuries have added up and may cost him his career.

First of all, Einstein never said that.  That quote is completely made up.  And secondly, that isn't what insanity is.
(03-10-2024, 04:16 PM)The Real Marty Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2024, 04:00 PM)OG-JAGFAN Wrote: [ -> ]Many things could change before next season. Doug and Baalke both believe they have their guys. Listening to them speak praises and actually resigning the same players. Cam looks to stay on the roster. Cleveland stunk for us but got a new deal. Scheriff has been average but is staying.  What they are saying is the players are good enough but it was the coaching and development was the problem. I disagree, I believe it's more Joe's over X's and O's.  Good players will still be good even without great coaching. We had probably the worst offensive line in the league last year. WE watched time and time again how they could not convert on 3rd and short and fourth and short. We watched Lawrence taking a pounding. We watched players in the backfield on running plays as soon as the ball was handed off. We watched this line get bullied most of the year. 

First of all, Einstein never said that.  That quote is completely made up.  And secondly, that isn't what insanity is.

Insanity is posting a thread saying "both believe they have their guys" on the day after a premier free agent center was in town for a visit.

And the day before free agency actually starts.

And 6 week before the Draft.

Who would've thought that the people around here would be more off the rails after two 9 win seasons than they were after multiple <6 win seasons?
free agency just started and the draft is around the corner

Am I missing something?

Cleveland played hurt last year coming in late. I don't think we know his ceiling yet.
Scherff protects well, run blocks OK in zone, not OK in power. Not the worst idea to keep him around.
Not the best either.

I'll wait to see what players are actually added to the mix before I lose my mind.
"Winning football requires skill, strategy, and a lot of luck" - Albert Einstein
(03-10-2024, 05:29 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]"Winning football requires skill, strategy, and a lot of luck" - Albert Einstein

Since Albert passed away in 1955, his theory may be a bit dated...Wink
(03-10-2024, 05:58 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]
(03-10-2024, 05:29 PM)HardcoreMoJagFan Wrote: [ -> ]"Winning football requires skill, strategy, and a lot of luck" - Albert Einstein

"There's already an Offensive Line 2024 thread, this should have been posted there" - Albert Einstein

(Albert is like Elvis and Tupac.  He's not really dead.)
(03-10-2024, 05:58 PM)Jag149 Wrote: [ -> ]

I swear I read that on Twitter somewhere.  Gotta be true
Look for Harrison to play near or at a Pro Bowl level in 2024 and Cleveland will have more to offer with an offseason with the team.

Cooper Hodges has the potential to step in and play either guard position. Once he returns healthy he offers immediate high-end run blocking ability with his power and aggressiveness.

Little is probably one of the better swing tackles in the league.

Robinson will do his thing at LT.

We’ll see what they do with Fortner and Scherff with the draft and free agency.

We got bigger fish to fry over on the defensive side of the ball, starting with DT.
(03-10-2024, 08:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Look for Harrison to play near or at a Pro Bowl level in 2024 and Cleveland will have more to offer with an offseason with the team.

Cooper Hodges has the potential to step in and play either guard position. Once he returns healthy he offers immediate high-end run blocking ability with his power and aggressiveness.

We got bigger fish to fry over on the defensive side of the ball, starting with DT.

Scherff has reportedly signed a renegotiated contract that guarantees his salary in 2024 and they aren't paying him all of that money to sit the bench.  Barring injury, he's starting.  It basically leaves Fortner.  I think the team does bring in a new starter for that position.  If they don't, then criticism is highly warranted.
We MUST have more beef at center. Otherwise we still will not be able to move the ball in short yardage.
(03-10-2024, 08:13 PM)JagFanatic24 Wrote: [ -> ]Look for Harrison to play near or at a Pro Bowl level in 2024 and Cleveland will have more to offer with an offseason with the team.

Not sure why anyone brings up Cooper.   Sure, if he's a halfway decent backup guard it's a win for the Jags.    In no way do I think he's a better guard than a healthy Scherff (who I'm not sold on) or Cleveland.

Replacing Fortner at center and getting a quality defensive tackle are both important moves this off season.

DT...Javon Kinlaw...or any decent DT is going to cost 10 million per year.
I'm thinking a quality center will cost the same.

That's 20 million to shore up the offensive and defensive line.
I tend to agree with the OP. The entire IOL blew last year. I can understand bringing Cleveland back because he's at least mediocre and you can't replace everyone in a single offseason. Bur Scherff is clearly showing his age and no longer has the power or agility that he showed during his Pro Bowl years. He's old and injury prone and cutting him this year instead of prolonging the dead salary cap just makes sense.
The issue with the OL is there should be at least a "reasonable" Plan A, B, and C for every position on the OL.

It feels like that has NOT been the MO since Baalke has been here.
"I banged my cousin" - Albert Einstein
(03-10-2024, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]free agency just started and the draft is around the corner

Am I missing something?

Cleveland played hurt last year coming in late. I don't think we know his ceiling yet.
Scherff protects well, run blocks OK in zone, not OK in power.  Not the worst idea to keep him around.
Not the best either.

I'll wait to see what players are actually added to the mix before I lose my mind.

slacker.
I’m not sure why anyone would be in a rush to fire Doug. That is illogical to me as I see him as a high end coach and an elite play caller.
And just a day later the Jaguars sign a new center. Guess this thread was smidge premature.
(03-10-2024, 05:13 PM)NYC4jags Wrote: [ -> ]free agency just started and the draft is around the corner

Am I missing something?

Scherff protects well, run blocks OK in zone, not OK in power.  Not the worst idea to keep him around.
Not the best either.

I agree with that. I think Cleveland can and will be solid for this coming season.

We still need 1 or 2 more solid OL players though.
(03-11-2024, 11:49 AM)iHaunting Raven Wrote: [ -> ]

Am I missing something?

Not the best either.

I agree with that. I think Cleveland can and will be solid for this coming season.

We still need 1 or 2 more solid OL players though.

I guess I missed it -- did they re-sign Cleveland? What were the terms?
Pages: 1 2 3