Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: If durability wasn't an issue, would Marqise Lee be returning kicks?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
He was a great kick returner in college and may be more elusive in the open field then Grant or Denard. 

Is it possible that we are wasting some of this KR talent?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play...lee-1.html

I feel like Lee would make a better punt returner than kick returner.
I agree with High Score regarding being a better punt returner than kick returner. He's more elusive than straight line fast. 

Either way though, he should never be back there with his injury concerns.

Would be awesome to see him return punts but much rather see him catch passes
I say no.

If durability wasn't an issue I think he would be receiver 1a or 1b with Robinson and you wouldn't see him back there returning.
Quote:I agree with High Score regarding being a better punt returner than kick returner. He's more elusive than straight line fast. 

Either way though, he should never be back there with his injury concerns.
He didn't have that much experience returning punts in college though. Kick returning he seemed to excel at. 
Yes

(In the post season)
Quote:Yes

(In the post season)

This is along the lines of what I was thinking as well.

In general when it comes to key players on Offense and Defense returning kickoffs and/ or punts,  the only times I'm comfortable with this in the regular season is when a game or the season is on the line.    In the case of Marqise Lee,  he might not be quite established enough to be considered a key Offensive play based on my own definition.   It's a subjective call.   But because of Lee's injury history,   the risk of using him as a returner except in special situations seems noticeably higher than the reward. 
Seriously, I remember a few seasons ago the coaching staff said they were gonna look at him to return kicks but we had an injury at WR (Cecil Shorts?) so he had to start.

Well, that's not the case anymore. So why don't we let him return kicks? We could cut Grant, freeing up a roster spot for other positions.

And, it's not like we have to rely on Lee to stay healthy with Hurns, Greene and Robinson.

Quote:Seriously, I remember a few seasons ago the coaching staff said they were gonna look at him to return kicks but we had an injury at WR (Cecil Shorts?) so he had to start.

Well, that's not the case anymore. So why don't we let him return kicks? We could cut Grant, freeing up a roster spot for other positions.

You have a strong point. Lee might not be utilized too heavily on O, much like DRob. They are both situational/relief/change of pace guys. Why not add return duties to the mix?

Lee is a pro footballer, though with an injury history thus far. There is only so much 'cushioning' teams can offer - over time, you have to go through the rigors to be thoroughly evaluated.

Say an average of 5 KRs a game. Perhaps 2 unreturnable. We are talking about 3 more touches for him potentially. I get the risk factor, but I am not sure there is a marked increase in his chances of injury returning kicks versus getting more reps on O. But this is a theoretical take, it'll be worthwhile to see how he looks in the role first.
Quote:He was a great kick returner in college and may be more elusive in the open field then Grant or Denard. 

Is it possible that we are wasting some of this KR talent?

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/play...lee-1.html
He might be a great returner, but he has proven to be so prone to injury since he's been in J'ville that putting him in that situation would be asking for trouble.
He has a hard time not exploding his hammy running routes, and you guys want to send him on kickoff returns to get blasted? The guy has a small, frail frame and has chicken legs. This isn't madden.
Let him stay healthy for a season or 2 before giving him extra touches, even if it's only a few per game on ST.

There's no denying the talent he has, but it's been useless since his hamstrings are made of string cheese. If healthy, he's the perfect compliment to the Allens.
Kick returning isn't as important in today's league. We need someone to get 30 to 35 yards and threaten the home run. Not get 20 yards and tease the home run.
Quote:Seriously, I remember a few seasons ago the coaching staff said they were gonna look at him to return kicks but we had an injury at WR (Cecil Shorts?) so he had to start.

Okay, so let's say we cut Grant and let Lee return kicks. Who gets that roster spot we freed up? Nick Marshall? Hayes Pullard? I mean, both are decent guys, but I just don't think we have the depth issues we had in previous years. I'd rather keep speed on the roster than keep someone else who may be serviceable but won't make the active 45-man roster.
Why would we want anyone but Greene returning for us, he cemented that last year. I predict he makes the Pro Bowl for this reason, how you like that for bold predictions. (Please just don't ask me to put money on that)
Quote:Kick returning isn't as important in today's league. We need someone to get 30 to 35 yards and threaten the home run. Not get 20 yards and tease the home run.

Kick returning is going to be more important in today's league than you think. No one seems to think moving the ball to the 25 for a touch back is going to limit the number of kick returns. Some say we'll see more returns than ever.
Quote:He has a hard time not exploding his hammy running routes, and you guys want to send him on kickoff returns to get blasted? The guy has a small, frail frame and has chicken legs. This isn't madden.
Rashad Greene is smaller than him.
Quote:Rashad Greene is smaller than him.

And doesn't return kicks, which is the title of the thread. He returns punts, which would be ok for Lee to do if his hamstrings weren't glass. Thanks for contributing.
Pages: 1 2 3