Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cincinnati Bengals
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I think that this week's game against the Bengals will be a much better measuring stick of where were at.  They have been a great team for awhile now, and have been picked by many to be a super bowl contender this year.  Also Gus said after the Tampa game that our starters are going to get a ton of play in the 3rd game.  I could see them getting a couple of series in the 3rd quarter.  I also have a feeling we will see the debut of Beachum, so it'll be interesting to see where he's at.  Just one more game to get through with no injuries before resting all of the starters until the regular, so everyone say your prayers and cross your fingers.  Go Jags!

I just posted about this in the "My thoughts of the first 2 preseason games" thread:

Cincy is not a good measuring stick in the preseason. They usually look terrible. They don't game-plan. They play extremely vanilla. Starters don't seem to go full-speed/full-effort.

Preseason for them is all about avoiding key injuries (they've been bitten by that many times over the years); and evaluating talent for backup/depth. That's about it.

Marvin Lewis publicly said so a while back. He asked Rex Ryan not to play exotic offenses prior to a preseason matchup. Lewis said they didn't want to game-plan for that,, they just wanted to evaluate players. Rex Ryan obliged him.

Seriously, the Bengals in preseason are very weak,, and have been for a long time.
I am not worried about talent or depth at this point. I am worried about our ability to win games and scheme defensively. I think we will come out looking good but hopefully get a win.

The game isnt till Sun night. Another long wait
For not trying in the preseason they had a pretty good last game. They scored 20 1st half points, Dalton was 7-9, and they had a defensive touchdown. Usually the 3rd preseason game is taken the most seriously, so I would expect this game to be the greatest test.
Quote:Seriously, the Bengals in preseason are very weak,, and have been for a long time.
This. There are teams that take the preseason seriously, game plan, script their offense and prepare their starters to play, not just take reps. Then there are teams that just want to warm up the starters a bit and get them out of there before anyone actually takes a hit. There's really nothing wrong with either approach, but the Bengals definitely fall into the latter category.
Preseason is never a measuring stick. I'm just looking to see if certain players are improving. 

We're on to Cincinnati.
Cincy has a very good team. I live in the area and have seen virtually every Bengals game for the last 5 years. This will be a great test for our secondary as A.J. Greene is one of the best receivers in the NFL and rookies Tyler Boyd and Cody Core have looked very good as well. Their secondary is young and a bit banged up this year, so we should be able to exploit their pass defense, but the key will be blocking Carlos Dunlap and Geno Atkins. If Blake has time to throw, I believe we could score early. This will be a great game to judge the progress of our starters on both sides of the ball.

Quote:The game isnt till Sun night. Another long wait
Sucks for fantasy purposes too. My draft is Sunday at 1....
I want to see a dramatic drop in penalties!
That falls on coaching.

We need to work on discipline and being less stupid. It's one thing if the second/third stringers do a bonehead play on occasion but it was every drive all night with our team.

Quote:We need to work on discipline and being less stupid. It's one thing if the second/third stringers do a bonehead play on occasion but it was every drive all night with our team.
To be fair that officiating crew is always flag happy and some of the calls were ticky tacky imo. I would love to know what happened under break that landed us 1st and 21, then 26 with the false start. 
That hold call on Ryan Davis during a run play was a hoot.
Quote:That hold call on Ryan Davis during a run play was a hoot.

Looked an awful lot like he was just driving the blocker down. Besides, how does a guy who has Contain responsibilities end up holding?!
Quote:Looked an awful lot like he was just driving the blocker down. Besides, how does a guy who has Contain responsibilities end up holding?!

Weird right?  Even one of the other officials had a quizzical look on his face. 

Also, when re-watching the starting d-line's work I noticed Malik getting mugged at gunpoint twice. No flags. 
ARob>AJ Green

Yeah, I said it.
Tweet from Brian Jackson (@WJXTBJackson) - Bradley: I would say Roy Miller is doubtful for Cincy. Abry Jones is day to day right now. We'll play Tyson at nose some too. #Jaguars

https://twitter.com/WJXTBJackson/status/...2409161728

Looks like Aloo Aloo is going to get a chance to show off his versatility and to the everyone's objection, secure a roster spot.
Quote:ARob>AJ Green

Yeah, I said it.

I can see that.
Pages: 1 2 3