Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Training Camp Winners and Losers
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...ler-shines

Quote: 

<b>Dante Fowler, Jaguars defensive end:</b> Last year's No. 3 overall pick checks off every superlative for a player antsy to prove his NFL worth. He has been "embarrassing" Jaguars linemen and has reportedly "rarely been blocked" in camp. He's going so fast that coaches had to ask him to slow down in practice because they feared he'd hurt another player. The torn ACL that ruined his rookie season is long forgotten.

It all crested Friday night in the team's scrimmage, which Fowler dominated. The Jaguars have desperately needed a pass rusher, and they may finally have one in Fowler. They also may have found help. Rookies Yannick Ngakoue (defensive end) and Sheldon Day (defensive tackle) have also opened eyes. Throw in the addition of free agent end Malik Jackson and a much-improved secondary, and this Jacksonville defense should take some dramatic leaps.

Oh my, that article is glorious. Thanks Bullseye.
Nice.

I sure hope our O-Line is improving from it.

I haven't been going to the practices but I've heard it being said that Day has tailed off a little since a great start.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Quote:I haven't been going to the practices but I've heard it being said that Day has tailed off a little since a great start.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?
I have heard the same thing on the radio just this afternoon.
Day will get the preseason to show he has the stuff.

Sounds like they are asking Day and Fowler to slow things down a bit so no injuries occur.

This may explain why Day tailed off
I can't remember the last time such an article was written giving such high praise about ANY Jag player, offense or defense..
I have such high hopes for Fowler. He must be chomping on his mouthpiece waiting to get into the action.

Quote:Sounds like they are asking Day and Fowler to slow things down a bit so no injuries occur.

This may explain why Day tailed off

Day has probably been going full tilt since before the off-season started. His body may have hit the infamous rookie wall. Hopefully the rest is helping him recover.
I know we haven't actually played a game yet, but I'm having a hard time adjusting to all of these article saying we might not suck
I can't wait to dominate Madden 17 on the ps4.

I bet alot of gamers will use the Jaguars when they play online this year.

With Ramsey locking down the receivers. Smith and Fowler will have all the speed to cover those toss sweeps.

Gipson will be able to cover those TE seam routes down the middle.

And on offense Ivory and Yeldon will pound the rock. With Hurns, Robinson, and Thomas.

The offensive line will probably give up some costly sacks but man its gonna be fun.
It's definitely crazy to read good things. The only thing I'm worried about is that with our defense potentially playing pretty good this year, our offense (especially Bortles) could take a step back. A lot of our good numbers were garbage time stats. However, I'm trying to remain optimistic that with Bortles not feeling the pressure, he could improve. I don't know guys, I try to keep my expectations low each season so I'm not disappointed. I blame Gene Smiff for this outlook.
Garbage time or not, he put up the numbers.
Quote:Garbage time or not, he put up the numbers.

Exactly. Gabbert's whole career here was garbage time and he could never dream of doing what Blake did.
Quote:It's definitely crazy to read good things. The only thing I'm worried about is that with our defense potentially playing pretty good this year, our offense (especially Bortles) could take a step back. A lot of our good numbers were garbage time stats. However, I'm trying to remain optimistic that with Bortles not feeling the pressure, he could improve. I don't know guys, I try to keep my expectations low each season so I'm not disappointed. I blame Gene Smiff for this outlook.
People keep saying this, but it's actually not true.

The Jags were within one score of all but a few games with mere minutes to play last year. In reality , a very low percentage of Blake's production came in "garbage time."  There was plenty of production that came when the Jags were playing from behind, but it wasn't garbage time because in most instances they either caught up or nearly caught up to the opponents score. 

If your team has a legit shot at winning the game with 6 minutes on the clock, that's not garbage time. And that's what happened "a lot" last year.

Is it Thursday yet? Can't wait to see this defense. 

Quote:People keep saying this, but it's actually not true.

The Jags were within one score of all but a few games with mere minutes to play last year. In reality , a very low percentage of Blake's production came in "garbage time."  There was plenty of production that came when the Jags were playing from behind, but it wasn't garbage time because in most instances they either caught up or nearly caught up to the opponents score. 

If your team has a legit shot at winning the game with 6 minutes on the clock, that's not garbage time. And that's what happened "a lot" last year.

Yeah, but it's the Jags, so it has to be garbage time.

10 of our games last year were decided by 7 points or less. One was a blowout by us, and one was a blowout against us. So that's 5 total games where we had any "garbage time". I'd say 4 even, since we didn't get down in the Carolina game until late.
Quote:People keep saying this, but it's actually not true.

It's sort of a weird narrative about Bortles. But like a lot of things, if the team wins some games it goes away.
Pages: 1 2