Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Thoughts on open carry laws
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
I preface this by laws are laws and our constitution rules ( we can debate tweaking it another time).

If a State, say Ohio, proposed to have open carry laws, then apparently some saw fit to make it law.

Of course we know the. NRA is a big supporter.

Question is..if it's law, it's law. Where do you draw the line? You can open carry, except at conventions? Other events? Is it open carry but with restrictions?

Didn't someone propose open carry inside the convention to show GOP solidarity with NRA and 2nd Amrndment rights? But those who strongly support this, were, in this case, against it.

Just asking. I'm confused at this open carry thing where towns look like Tombstone Az back in the day. But those who pass the laws do the..ok..it's legal..But!

My two cents? Open carry in Cleveland this week is...well...let me just say I wouldn't be there for all the stock in Smith and Wesson.

Disclaimer...I own guns. So don't think it's anti gun. Just some laws seem piss up.
This convention season is going to be ugly.  Americans are going to quickly come to terms with the fact they are living in an unstable country.

Open carry is a tough one for me. On the one hand, I like to think we'd all behave a little better knowing that three of the four guys between us and that bank counter are wearing a gun on their hip. On the other, I'm not sure that I like the idea of fellow citizens shooting you down being a motivator for not being a Cheney to other human beings, and I do tend to think that seeing a gun on the other guy's hip during, say, a road rage incident would make plenty of people quicker to draw their own. Guns aren't a problem until they're pointed at someone else, and I think that expansion of open carry could lead to that being a more common scenario. It could easily be considered a Second Amendment right, though, and I think we've reached the point where we need to cling to every right we can. My greatest fear with open carry is that if you have BLM protestors showing up to a Trump rally to protest and people on both sides are openly carrying...yeah. When, not if.

Enough shootings linked to open carry, particularly those involving one skin color shooting another, and you can bet Obama and Clinton will be reaching for guns once again, because that really is key to everything else. If we lose guns, we might as well kiss the rest of our rights goodbye.

I see open carry and conceal as color of law. the 2nd amendment is the law and is not supposed to be infringed upon.

My home state (Idaho) has open carry laws...To us who have grown up there it's really not much different as we are a HUGE hunting and outdoor sports (including sports competitive shooting) therefore people have always been carrying firearms openly...Heck when I was in high school, all of us kids that hunted and fished had a gun rack in the back window of the truck with a shotgun, rifle, and fishing pole hanging in it and no one was phased...

The thing I want to point out, is open carry to most people who are hunters and gun enthusiasts, is that open carry does not mean start shooting people who need shot, or that we are vigilantes, nor are we a back up police force, nor should we take the law into our own hands, open carry simply means that we can carry our firearms openly without repercussion...Open carry is also a deterrent to being chosen as a victim of a crime...Most people won't attack or attempt to cause injury to someone who is known to be armed  

I make money on the side doing firearm training courses. I am extremely pro 2nd Am. but I generally think open carry is a dumb idea. It will also certainly send a message to others at a political rally if you show up with a slung rifle.

All gun laws are subject to the whims of the property owner. So the convention center could say that open carry is a no-no.
Quote:My home state (Idaho) has open carry laws...To us who have grown up there it's really not much different as we are a HUGE hunting and outdoor sports (including sports competitive shooting) therefore people have always been carrying firearms openly...Heck when I was in high school, all of us kids that hunted and fished had a gun rack in the back window of the truck with a shotgun, rifle, and fishing pole hanging in it and no one was phased...

The thing I want to point out, is open carry to most people who are hunters and gun enthusiasts, is that open carry does not mean start shooting people who need shot, or that we are vigilantes, nor are we a back up police force, nor should we take the law into our own hands, open carry simply means that we can carry our firearms openly without repercussion...Open carry is also a deterrent to being chosen as a victim of a crime...Most people won't attack or attempt to cause injury to someone who is known to be armed  

This is somewhat true where I live now. In some parts of the country it's just one of those things and no one really thinks about it.

Quote:All gun laws are subject to the whims of the property owner. So the convention center could say that open carry is a no-no.
This. Whether open or conceal carry, it's up to the property owner, whether it's a convention center or a department store. It doesn't matter what state law says. In NC we can open carry and conceal carry (with permit) but if an establishment has a no carry sign on their door you'd better leave it in the car.
I prefer the law be applied to alcohol.
Quote:I preface this by laws are laws and our constitution rules ( we can debate tweaking it another time).

If a State, say Ohio, proposed to have open carry laws, then apparently some saw fit to make it law.

Question is..if it's law, it's law. Where do you draw the line? You can open carry, except at conventions? Other events? Is it open carry but with restrictions?

Didn't someone propose open carry inside the convention to show GOP solidarity with NRA and 2nd Amrndment rights? But those who strongly support this, were, in this case, against it.

Just asking. I'm confused at this open carry thing where towns look like Tombstone Az back in the day. But those who pass the laws do the..ok..it's legal..But!

My two cents? Open carry in Cleveland this week is...well...let me just say I wouldn't be there for all the stock in Smith and Wesson.

Disclaimer...I own guns. So don't think it's anti gun. Just some laws seem up.

First off, the proposal to open carry at the convention was actually a poll done by a Soros funded group that started a petition on Change.org. It wasn't a serious proposal made by anyone inside the GOP.

There are all sorts of stipulations for open carry laws that vary from state to state. It's up to each state to determine how they restrict the laws. Gun free zones are strictly off limits in Ohio. I understand the logic behind the laws as a deterrent, but I think it's debatable if that is actually the case. I've seen the videos where open carry activists do so in order to get a reaction from law enforcement and others, and I find it as ridiculous as those who post videos taunting the police. For me personally, if Florida ever went open carry, or I was visiting a state where it was permitted, I'd still go the concealed route 100% of the time.

I'm not a fan of open carry laws because, as a concealed permit holder, I prefer the anonymity of not broadcasting when I'm carrying, mainly because of the concerns it causes for others to see a gun on the hip of someone not in law enforcement. I think it had the potential to make you a target.
Quote:I preface this by laws are laws and our constitution rules ( we can debate tweaking it another time).

Disclaimer...I own guns. So don't think it's anti gun. Just some laws seem [BAD WORD REMOVED] up.

The second amendment applies to government. Government can't infringe on your right to bear arms. What happens on private property is up to the owner of that property.

Quote:I prefer the law be applied to alcohol.
What are you trying to do, make it easier for a kid to get a Molotov cocktail than a book?
People are already carrying in secret.  I don't see problem with people KNOWING you have a gun vs not knowing.  Concealed carry is no different than open carry in that you can't carry everywhere.  There are restrictions.

Quote:What happens on private property is up to the owner of that property.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You really think any kind of "private" property exists anymore? No, everything belongs to the state.
Quote:This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. You really think any kind of "private" property exists anymore? No, everything belongs to the state.

You are right. I was speaking of the law, not the way it's practiced.

Quote:My home state (Idaho) has open carry laws...To us who have grown up there it's really not much different as we are a HUGE hunting and outdoor sports (including sports competitive shooting) therefore people have always been carrying firearms openly...Heck when I was in high school, all of us kids that hunted and fished had a gun rack in the back window of the truck with a shotgun, rifle, and fishing pole hanging in it and no one was phased...

But isn't it also true that open carry means anyone, including the people you might be afraid of.  

Look at Cleveland right now.    There are going to be demonstrators of all stripes carrying guns during the demonstrations.   How do you think the cops feel about that?   They'll be facing off with people who are yelling at them and carrying guns.  And what is going to happen when the cops inevitably have to arrest some people, for valid reasons, but those people are carrying guns and they aren't in a mood to get arrested that day?   And which one of those people carrying guns in Cleveland is an ISIS sympathizer?   Or just some nut who's having a bad life? 

Granted, as you say, open carry doesn't mean you (in particular) want to start shooting people, or that you (in particular) want to be some sort of vigilante.   But you're not necessarily representative of everybody, and open carry laws mean that inevitably there are going to be people carrying guns that make you (and me) very very nervous. 

Disclaimer...I own guns. So don't think it's anti gun. Just some laws seem [BAD WORD REMOVED] up.

If I remember correctly, Tombstone did not have open carry.  You could not carry a gun on the streets of Tombstone.   That's why Wyatt Earp and his buddies had that shootout at the OK Corral- there were some cowboys who were refusing to turn in their weapons. 
Quote:But isn't it also true that open carry means anyone, including the people you might be afraid of.  

Look at Cleveland right now.    There are going to be demonstrators of all stripes carrying guns during the demonstrations.   How do you think the cops feel about that?   They'll be facing off with people who are yelling at them and carrying guns.  And what is going to happen when the cops inevitably have to arrest some people, for valid reasons, but those people are carrying guns and they aren't in a mood to get arrested that day?   And which one of those people carrying guns in Cleveland is an ISIS sympathizer?   Or just some nut who's having a bad life? 

Granted, as you say, open carry doesn't mean you (in particular) want to start shooting people, or that you (in particular) want to be some sort of vigilante.   But you're not necessarily representative of everybody, and open carry laws mean that inevitably there are going to be people carrying guns that make you (and me) very very nervous. 

Well damn, if we can't have them using the 2nd Amendment why not just lock them all up for exercising the 1st? That'll fix the whole problem.
Quote:If I remember correctly, Tombstone did not have open carry. You could not carry a gun on the streets of Tombstone. That's why Wyatt Earp and his buddies had that shootout at the OK Corral- there were some cowboys who were refusing to turn in their weapons.
If you want to play the technicality game, sure. Wink
Just saw where either the Governor or Mayor is requesting temp suspension of open carry during the convention. Dont think it will be granted though. 

Quote:Just saw where either the Governor or Mayor is requesting temp suspension of open carry during the convention. Dont think it will be granted though. 

We should just have an "open carry" zone outside. 
Pages: 1 2 3