Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Job Offers. Do you negotiate? What's your policy?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
So I've received a job offer from a company and I was wondering how folks out there approach this. But first, a little background...

This is a new position for me and one that I have little to no experience in. I'm coming from a Design Engineer background and going into Technical Sales.

The only time I discussed compensation was a number I put on the company website when it asked for "Salary Requirement" and it was never discussed in any of the interviews.

The job offer I received pretty much nails that number and I've recently learned that it's lower than what a typical person makes in this position.

So... do you negotiate that number?

If it's what you asked for and you try to up it, you come out looking like a Cheney and probably cost yourself the job. That's why I never put a number in those things. If it won't let me proceed without one, I enter zeroes. It's too easy for that to become a, "Well I know the position usually pays $75,000 per year, but you said online that you were looking for $65,000," pain in the Nixon.

Depends what your position of negotiation is. If you have a job currently and you don't necessarily NEED this job, you have a little more leverage. If you are unemployed and need a job, you may not want to rock the boat.

Another factor to take into play is growth potential at the new company. Are merit increases small? Is it easy to move up? Will you be stuck around your starting salary for a long time? Is this job a springboard to another job? 

Lots of factors to take into play IMO. In hindsight, I would have left that number blank when filling out the application. TJBender is right, now you come out looking bad if you try to change it. If you don't currently NEED the job, you could always bring up that after further research you realized the offer is a bit low, but that could also backfire and look like you weren't prepared in the first place.

Offer him a lap dance...shake that money maker!!
Quote:Offer him a lap dance...shake that money maker!!

He wants to get a job, not turn stomachs.
Quote:So I've received a job offer from a company and I was wondering how folks out there approach this. But first, a little background...

So this is a new position for me and one that I have little to no experience in. I'm coming from a Design Engineer background and going into Technical Sales.

The only time I discussed compensation was a number I put on the company website when it asked for "Salary Requirement" and it was never discussed in any of the interviews.

The job offer I received pretty much nails that number and I've recently learned that it's lower than what a typical person makes in this position.

So... do you negotiate that number?

I think the fact that it was the salary the you 'requested' might make negotiations a little difficult.

You could tell them you were really drunk when you put that figure in there.
The "don't fill out that part" of the website was not on option as it was required in order to apply.

I've spoken with a few third party Recruiters and they told me that they expect a negotiation to take place for jobs such as this as many times that number is seen as your "walk away" number where it's the bare minimum that you have to have in order to work there.

As for the company and the infrastructure, they are a well known, established company and I've heard nothing but good things from the employees I've spoken to. I do not yet know the promotion / raise schedule, but that's something that I'll bring up in discussions with the in-house Recruiter.

As for the lap dance, how do you think I got the interview?

Quote:I think the fact that it was the salary the you 'requested' might make negotiations a little difficult.

You could tell them you were really drunk when you put that figure in there.

That's a given.
How long since you gave them the number? If it's been more than 60 days you can use that as a "conditions have changed, need a higher base" argument. When hiring I'll usually negotiate up to 15% higher than the initial offer, much more than that and its not gonna work out.
I generally put Negotiable in the box that asks for salary expected...But I have also asked in the interview "what is considered good, average, high, and low for this position?"...Given that you have little to no experience, you can probably expect to get the lower end of the scale

Quote:As for the lap dance, how do you think I got the interview?
By telling them that one or the other was happening.
Quote:That's a given.

Or could tell them that I was really drunk.

Although I'm not sure what that would accomplish.
Shoulder shrugs with mouth agape is not a good negotiating tactic.

Never mind how I know this.

I take it this is a direct hire since you filled out the online application.

One thing I've learned is, you won't get anything you don't ask for.

Give it a shot.  I got an extra $15K doing just that.  I didn't think they'd take the counter, but it was what I needed to make it worthwhile.  It worked.

Go get yours.

ALWAYS NEGOTIATE

Salary, Paid Time Off, EVERYTHING is negotiable.

Well, my counter offer is out there. Let's see where this goes.
Quote:Well, my counter offer is out there. Let's see where this goes.

All they can do is tell you no. Public executions aren't a thing anymore. :no:

What if they need a table instead of a counter?

Let's get some Pawn Stars action going here.
Quote:All they can do is tell you no. Public executions aren't a thing anymore. :no:

Don't speak so frivolously. I do live in Virginia.
Pages: 1 2 3