Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Toddler dragged by alligator into lake at Grand Floridian
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
This is about the worst thing I can imagine happening to a parent.

That is just horrible!!!
Makes me feel sick.
I just wonder how Disney chose not to at least have an alligator trapper patrol these waters on occasion to make sure one doesn't get in. If they're allowing guests to lounge on the shore, shouldn't they assume some responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen?
Quote:I just wonder how Disney chose not to at least have an alligator trapper patrol these waters on occasion to make sure one doesn't get in. If they're allowing guests to lounge on the shore, shouldn't they assume some responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen?

There were a lot of them it appears. They already euthanized 4 gators looking for the child. Just an unfortunate accident. 

Just imagine, family has great day at the parks, go back to beach at resort to watch fireworks, then this happens. What a nightmare.
Just horrific :unsure:

To be honest, with how meticulous Disney is with every aspect of its operation, I am a bit surprised they would let the gator population get out of control in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Once again, easy to point fingers after the fact, but it sucks.

Quote:I just wonder how Disney chose not to at least have an alligator trapper patrol these waters on occasion to make sure one doesn't get in. If they're allowing guests to lounge on the shore, shouldn't they assume some responsibility to ensure this doesn't happen?

You'd think they'd at least do like some of the fancy resorts on the ocean do and put up a barrier to stop stuff from getting to the area where guests are.
Quote:You'd think they'd at least do like some of the fancy resorts on the ocean do and put up a barrier to stop stuff from getting to the area where guests are.

That is the top of the line Disney hotel too. It is at least $500 a night. This family probably saved for years to have the best of the best Disney vacation, then this. Ugg.
Quote:To be honest, with how meticulous Disney is with every aspect of its operation, I am a bit surprised they would let the gator population get out of control in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

Quote:You'd think they'd at least do like some of the fancy resorts on the ocean do and put up a barrier to stop stuff from getting to the area where guests are.

It's baffling. It truly is.
It is terribly sad and I cannot imagine what the parents are going through.   The headlines are a bit misleading though.  The child was in the water, not up on shore.

"The attack happened at an area of the lagoon where “no swimming” signs were posted, Demings said. The boy wasn’t swimming in the water, but playing on the edge, about a foot or two into the water, Williamson said."

The Seven Seas lagoon connects to multiple other bodies of water and there is no way to keep alligators out of water in Florida.   One has to assume that any natural body of water in Florida has Alligators, Snakes or other potentially hazardous things in it.   

It was a mistake to allow the child to enter the water.  The alligator just did what alligators do unfortunately.  Horrible price to pay for a mistake.   Prayers for the family.

Quote:It is terribly sad and I cannot imagine what the parents are going through.   The headlines are a bit misleading though.  The child was in the water, not up on shore.

"The attack happened at an area of the lagoon where “no swimming” signs were posted, Demings said. The boy wasn’t swimming in the water, but playing on the edge, about a foot or two into the water, Williamson said."

The Seven Seas lagoon connects to multiple other bodies of water and there is no way to keep alligators out of water in Florida.   One has to assume that any natural body of water in Florida has Alligators, Snakes or other potentially hazardous things in it.   

It was a mistake to allow the child to enter the water.  The alligator just did what alligators do unfortunately.  Horrible price to pay for a mistake.   Prayers for the family.

The problem is, being on Disney property creates a false sense of security. You would at least expect Disney to put some type of barriers between the lake and beach areas that are popular places to watch the fireworks. 

Once again, it is just unfortunate, and fingers can be pointed at both parties on what could have been different. It's not like the kid was alone or anything. The father was close enough to actually touch the gator when he went in after him.

Just a terrible situation.
Quote: 

Just a terrible situation.
Agreed
Quote:To be honest, with how meticulous Disney is with every aspect of its operation, I am a bit surprised they would let the gator population get out of control in the Seven Seas Lagoon.

It's not out of control, considering the size of SSL and the direct connections to other ditches, streams, Bay Lake, etc. it's rare to see them. It's just a terrible freak accident of nature. I feel so bad for those parents.  Sad
I can't begin to imagine the horror this family is enduring.  My heart goes to out them.

Absolutely horrible. I can't even imagine how the parents feel, or how absolutely terrified that child must have felt when initially attacked. I know it breaks my heart to see my daughter get scared just from something little.

And then I hear people making jokes at work about it and, not to bring this up, but the shooting as well. There are some things you don't joke about, and at the very least, a child getting attacked by a gator is high on that list.

Quote:Absolutely horrible. I can't even imagine how the parents feel, or how absolutely terrified that child must have felt when initially attacked. I know it breaks my heart to see my daughter get scared just from something little.

And then I hear people making jokes at work about it and, not to bring this up, but the shooting as well. There are some things you don't joke about, and at the very least, a child getting attacked by a gator is high on that list.

As tacky as it is, some people use humor as a coping mechanism.
Quote:As tacky as it is, some people use humor as a coping mechanism.

As 'sick' as it sounds, I kinda understand it.

I work for my local Ambulance Service.. you kinda have to have a dark sense of humour to get through the days..
What a horrible story

Pages: 1 2 3 4