Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: How People (Rich vs. Poor) Spend Money
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
I came across this article today while watching the stock market.  It brings up some interesting points that I thought would make for good discussion.

What stuck out to me the most is the chart that they show regarding how people spend their money.  There isn't much variation on "restaurants" as far as how much of a percentage of income is spent.  That's probably a whole other discussion in itself.

The focus of the article is on fuel which is taxed higher than any other product in the index.  Is it possible that lower income people are indirectly taxed more heavily?  When you put gas in your car, pay your utility bills or even pay for a service, the tax is something that you pay.

What if taxes on fuel, including the "taxes on corporations" such as Exxon or BP was reduced?
Shhhhhhh you'll scare the children
Poors aren't fuel taxed, they ride the bus.
Flat tax everyone and stop the inequality and whining altogether.

Quote:Poors aren't fuel taxed, they ride the bus.

Not everyone lives in a location with mass transit. My area doesn't have it. And if you catch a ride with a friend you will be coughing up money to help pay for gas. And our county has one of the highest gas prices in the state because we are considered a resort area with all of the golf resorts. There is sometimes a 20¢/gallon difference between my county and the one next door. And no amount of investigations bring AND keep the prices down.
It could be worse, you could pay UK prices for fuel..

Quote:It could be worse, you could pay UK prices for fuel..

That pays for the free health care.
Quote:It could be worse, you could pay UK prices for fuel..

Is it because your gas tanks are on the wrong side of the car?
Quote:What if taxes on fuel, including the "taxes on corporations" such as Exxon or BP was reduced?

Are you suggesting that if a corporation like Exxon was given lower taxes that they would pass the savings on to the consumer?
Quote:Are you suggesting that if a corporation like Exxon was given lower taxes that they would pass the savings on to the consumer?

Are you suggesting that corporations pay taxes?
Quote:Not everyone lives in a location with mass transit. My area doesn't have it. And if you catch a ride with a friend you will be coughing up money to help pay for gas. And our county has one of the highest gas prices in the state because we are considered a resort area with all of the golf resorts. There is sometimes a 20¢/gallon difference between my county and the one next door. And no amount of investigations bring AND keep the prices down.

See? This is why our betters are insistent that everyone live in the city.
Quote:Are you suggesting that if a corporation like Exxon was given lower taxes that they would pass the savings on to the consumer?
Interesting information: "ExxonMobil had a three-year federal income tax rate of just 15 percent. This gave the company a tax subsidy worth $6.2 billion from 2010-2012. It had $43 billion in offshore profits at the end of 2012, on which it paid no US taxes" - May 29, 2014

If he is saying that then he is looney. 6.2 billion tax subsidy. I think they already have a tax cut. If they cut more taxes on them it would just mean they make more money. Exxon isn't a charity. They are only going to pay what you make them pay.
Quote:That pays for the free health care.

Ahh.... that explains it then... luckily for me, I can have a heart attack whenever I want... God Save The Queen..

Quote:Is it because your gas tanks are on the wrong side of the car?

Actually... mine is on the same side as yours... probably because my car is German, not British... definitely a good thing..
Quote:Ahh.... that explains it then... luckily for me, I can have a heart attack whenever I want... God Save The Queen..

Actually... mine is on the same side as yours... probably because my car is German, not British... definitely a good thing..
Technically, most British cars are German now as well. 
Drop income tax entirely. Straight consumption tax. Watch as tax problems disappear with the IRS phasing out.

I should have maybe rephrased the question.  I was looking at things more broadly with the first being the amount of tax in a gallon of fuel and/or oil.  It's not just what we are taxed at the pump, but also taxes on lubricating oils, heating fuel, etc.

Second, I was suggesting that the corporate tax system makes doing business in this country more difficult as well as limits innovation and/or job creation.
Quote:Second, I was suggesting that the corporate tax system makes doing business in this country more difficult as well as limits innovation and/or job creation.
You realize that supply side economics have been essentially dead as a theory since the failure of Bush's tax cuts of 2003?
Quote:I came across this article today while watching the stock market.  It brings up some interesting points that I thought would make for good discussion.

What stuck out to me the most is the chart that they show regarding how people spend their money.  There isn't much variation on "restaurants" as far as how much of a percentage of income is spent.  That's probably a whole other discussion in itself.

The focus of the article is on fuel which is taxed higher than any other product in the index.  Is it possible that lower income people are indirectly taxed more heavily?  When you put gas in your car, pay your utility bills or even pay for a service, the tax is something that you pay.

What if taxes on fuel, including the "taxes on corporations" such as Exxon or BP was reduced?

this is a problem with conservatives. they consistently go to bat for one of the most corrupt industries ever to exist in the name of trickle down theory.  the oil industry is not hurting, and they've made sure of that by using scumbag tactics

Quote:Drop income tax entirely. Straight consumption tax. Watch as tax problems disappear with the IRS phasing out.

Hallelujah amen and amen!!!!
Quote:See? This is why our betters are insistent that everyone live in the city.

They are only your betters because you keep saying they are.

Pages: 1 2 3 4