Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Google's Political Agenda and Censorship
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Political candidate opinions aside, is it acceptable that Google is now manually censoring the autocorrect algorithim to prevent a certain presidential candidate from appearing negatively?

If you go to Google's search engine and you will notice that the phrase "Crooked Hillary" is nearly entirely scrubbed from its autocorrect. However, if you type the phrase "Lying Ted" and "Crazy Bernie", both monikers given by Donald Trump immediately appear after a few letters. By now, Crooked Hillary is a much more frequently used term than "Lying Ted" and "Crazy Bernie". In fact, Google Trends even shows how "Crooked Hillary" is a way more trending phrase

[Image: QHLV472.png]

If you type "Crooked Hillary" out entirely, it actually autocorrects to "Crooked Hillary Bernie". Isn't that silly? On Bing and Yahoo, and most search engines with autocorrect, the "Crooked Hillary" is almost immediately autocorrected after a few letters.

[Image: 6PkDP0u.png]

Google is a private company and can do what it wants, but should such a prolific and widely used enterprise have some neutrality when it comes to political agendas? Specifically when it is such a proponent of net neutrality?

There is also evidence of Google censoring negative images of Hillary Clinton as well as news stories which can be discussed as well.

Well you do live up to your title, that's for sure.

Quote:Well you do live up to your title, that's for sure.

Just part of the "Vast right-wing conspiracy".
The hundreds of visits by Google to the White House - why?  Between Google and the Feds you would think they could set up a secure audio or video feed between the 2 entities.  Or at least a secure email.  Why have Google execs in the White House every week?  Probably to tell Obama what to do.  

Use a different search engine and rely on market forces to correct the situation.

Quote:Google is a private company and can do what it wants, but should such a prolific and widely used enterprise have some neutrality when it comes to political agendas? Specifically when it is such a proponent of net neutrality?
Yes. A Google search should not be an inherently politicized action. I'm surprised the Facebook censoring news feeds thing didn't get much play here, honestly. Think what you want, say what you want, do what you want, but the alleged practices of Google and Facebook in silently filtering out political stories that might cast their favorites in an unfavorable light is not ok. If you're going to be a political organization, be a political organization. Don't present yourself as something else and ninja your way into politics.
Quote:If you're going to be a political organization, be a political organization. Don't present yourself as something else and ninja your way into politics.

Like a corporation?
Quote:Use a different search engine and rely on market forces to correct the situation.

I am, I use DuckDuckGo now. How do you feel about this, though?
Maybe Google needs some government regulation.

smh..... you should've just stopped when you typed Google is a private company. They can scrub whatever they want it's their damn company they owe no loyalty to anyone to be politically neutral. Hell anyone that thinks google is political neutral in anyway has been living under a rock. It's probably one of the more liberal corporations out there, and guess what I still use them every day because hands down they have the best product. 
Quote:Use a different search engine and rely on market forces to correct the situation.

Bingo, that's the only option for someone this really bothers.

Quote:Maybe Google needs some government regulation.

No, the last thing we want is government regulation of the flow of information from private companies to the public. 
Quote:smh..... you should've just stopped when you typed Google is a private company. They can scrub whatever they want it's their damn company they owe no loyalty to anyone to be politically neutral. Hell anyone that thinks google is political neutral in anyway has been living under a rock. It's probably one of the more liberal corporations out there, and guess what I still use them every day because hands down they have the best product. 

Why, it's almost like you don't take politics into consideration every moment of your life! You'd never make it as a lefty.
Do you realize that Google recommended searches are catered to your geographic area. You (or whomever made the search) lives in, or around Orlando. That is why the first two options are Crooked House and Crooked House Orlando. Probably related to the Wonderworks museum. And why Crooked Hook RV Resort comes up also.

I am in NY for work and if I type "Crooked H" in, one of the prefills is Crooked Hill Road in Long Island.

There is not some vast Google conspiracy.

Quote:Do you realize that Google recommended searches are catered to your geographic area. You (or whomever made the search) lives in, or around Orlando. That is why the first two options are Crooked House and Crooked House Orlando. Probably related to the Wonderworks museum. And why Crooked Hook RV Resort comes up also.

I am in NY for work and if I type "Crooked H" in, one of the prefills is Crooked Hill Road in Long Island.

There is not some vast Google conspiracy.

Explain to me Lying Ted, Goofy Warren, and Crazy Bernie all autocorrecting, please. Also, this isn't just me, this was a multitude of people across different states across the country.
Autocorrecting.

[Image: inigo-montoya_that-word.jpg]

Quote:Explain to me Lying Ted, Goofy Warren, and Crazy Bernie all autocorrecting, please. Also, this isn't just me, this was a multitude of people across different states across the country.

If it makes you feel better, Crooked Hillary was one of my top 4 pre-filled searches.

I love a good agenda. Makes me feel so alive.
Maybe Google is restricting queries from 12 year olds.

Y'all really don't need to be voting. Period.
I haven't listened o Alex Jones in a while but this smells like one of his conspiracies he'd be banging on about during his radio broadcast.
Pages: 1 2