Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Is It Time To Lock Up Caldwell?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
It's a tough question. By all accounts, he has dismantled a team and completely rebuilt it into a supposed contender. It has not proven out through the w/l record though. I think most would agree that he is doing as good of a job as can be expected from a first time GM though. He made a couple mistakes along the way, but looking at the big picture, he has done an admirable job with this overhaul, if not stellar.

I am not certain of his contract status, but I seem to recall he originally signed a 5 year contract with the Jags. I believe once his contract runs it's course, he will become a very hot commodity for a front office position around the NFL. I would hate to see another team swoop him up and leave the Jags looking for a new front man.

All that being said, I think it's time for Khan to lock up Caldwell to an extension ASAP.

Agree or disagree?

I think he's the best GM we have ever had and I would extend him based on his eye for talent, but ultimately it's about wins. Gus needs to win this year for Gus to jump off the hot seat, but Caldwell deserves to stick around atleast until his contract expires.
ASAP

Quote:It's a tough question. By all accounts, he has dismantled a team and completely rebuilt it into a supposed contender. It has not proven out through the w/l record though. I think most would agree that he is doing as good of a job as can be expected from a first time GM though. He made a couple mistakes along the way, but looking at the big picture, he has done an admirable job with this overhaul, if not stellar.

I am not certain of his contract status, but I seem to recall he originally signed a 5 year contract with the Jags. I believe once his contract runs it's course, he will become a very hot commodity for a front office position around the NFL. I would hate to see another team swoop him up and leave the Jags looking for a new front man.

All that being said, I think it's time for Khan to lock up Caldwell to an extension ASAP.

Agree or disagree?

Serious question.

Has this ever happened in the history of the NFL? Where a top notch GM's contract ran out and he entertained bids from around the league?
Quote:It's a tough question. By all accounts, he has dismantled a team and completely rebuilt it into a supposed contender. It has not proven out through the w/l record though. I think most would agree that he is doing as good of a job as can be expected from a first time GM though. He made a couple mistakes along the way, but looking at the big picture, he has done an admirable job with this overhaul, if not stellar.

Agree or disagree?
In the famous words of Vic Ketchman: "I wouldn't worry about that." 
Quote:Serious question.

Has this ever happened in the history of the NFL? Where a top notch GM's contract ran out and he entertained bids from around the league?

His contract didn't run out and it was a promotion, but Bill Polian was general manager of Carolina during their successful early years and left them to become the President/GM of Indianapolis. Other than that, I can't recall any other times a successful GM left for another job.

I would like to see him get the contract sooner rather than later. I fully believe he has done an amazing job. Obviously everyone has mistakes but I believe the pros out ways his cons massively in my personal opinion.

Oh ya i would definitely bring him back

Let's win some damn games first, shall we?
I've seen the talent or potential talent DC has brought in, he's willing to wheel and deal and not destroy the future. Plus he got picks for Scobee and Gabbert.

I vote to keep him. It's Gus we need to see something from other than a smile.
He good.
Caldwell seems to have done a very good job, but I wouldn't worry about losing him.   I don't recall a GM ever walking away from a team that wanted to keep him.   Besides, I don't think there's a better situation out there.   Khan seems to be a real good guy to work for, he doesn't interfere in football decisions, and he has very deep pockets.  

So, on my list of things to worry about with the Jaguars, this is about #100. 

Quote:Let's win some damn games first, shall we?
That's the coaches job genius because Caldwell has brought in the talent for them to succeed. 
The man was able to trade Gabbert and had the foresight to get a draft pick for a pre-implosion Scobee (not that I'm in love with his replacement). I think he has positioned the team to be good for a long time without putting us in a bad cap situation. I don't see how Khan wouldn't offer him top dollar to keep doing what he has been doing.
No need to lock him up.  He'll re-sign when offered at the end of his contract.

Agree or disagree?
let's see how things go this season before we crown him. After all, we've yet to see any tangible improvement as evidenced by our w/l record.

I'd lock him up just to be safe. He might want to leave if Gus leaves, and we don't know what the future holds.

Quote:I'd lock him up just to be safe. He might want to leave if Gus leaves, and we don't know what the future holds.
I don't see the two linked at all. And it'd be his decision to move on from Gus.

A free agent GM is a bit different than a player. They don't just take the highest bid and walk away.
Quote:Let's win some damn games first, shall we?
Exactly.  This is the same board who loved Gene his first couple of years.  Lets pump the brakes and see what happens
I doubt very seriously he's going anywhere, especially if the team makes the expected strides this year.  Shad won't allow that to be even a remote possibility. 

Pages: 1 2 3