Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Libertarian Chances
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2...ans-213917

Former New Mexico governor Gary Johnson describes himself as socially liberal and fiscally conservative.   He favors a consumption tax to replace the income tax.   He is skeptical of foreign interventions.  

Before he became governor of New Mexico, he built a 1,000 employee construction firm. 

Former Massachusetts governor William Weld has signed on to run with him as Vice-President.  So between them, they have far more executive experience than either of the major party candidates. 

Gary Johnson doesn't have the Libertarian Party nomination yet, but if he gets it, I am going to take a long, hard look at voting for him.   Mainly because, unlike Clinton and Trump, he's not a con artist and he's not a crook. 
I like Gary on 90% of the issues. Again its is pro-choice stance that gives me pause. In the past he's took a more let the states deciede approach but this year I've seen a few interviews where he just days I'm pro-choice that's it.
Quote:<a class="bbc_url" href='http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/never-trump-2016-elections-libertarians-213917'>http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/05/never-trump-2016-elections-libertarians-213917</a>

So between them, they have far more executive experience than either of the major party candidates.

Lol. Now that's funny.
Quote:Lol. Now that's funny.
What executive experience does Clinton have? How about Trump? Despite the narrative, abusing bankruptcy laws to keep yourself afloat is not experience leading a government entity.
Quote:I like Gary on 90% of the issues. Again its is pro-choice stance that gives me pause. In the past he's took a more let the states deciede approach but this year I've seen a few interviews where he just days I'm pro-choice that's it.

I have a question for you.   If you think it's better for states to decide these types of issues rather than the national government, why stop there?   Why not go even more local and let counties decide?  
Quote:I have a question for you. If you think it's better for states to decide these types of issues rather than the national government, why stop there? Why not go even more local and let counties decide?
I smell a sovereign citizen lol
Quote:What executive experience does Clinton have? How about Trump? Despite the narrative, abusing bankruptcy laws to keep yourself afloat is not experience leading a government entity.

He said executive not government experience. Running an international business organization is most certainly executive experience.
Quote:I like Gary on 90% of the issues. Again its is pro-choice stance that gives me pause. In the past he's took a more let the states deciede approach but this year I've seen a few interviews where he just days I'm pro-choice that's it.

Would not pro choice be the correct position for a libertarian?

As it stands right now a fetus, embryo, and zygote are not considered people under the law.

Therefore to banish abortion would be against the libertarian concept of keeping the government out of a decision regarding one's own body.
Quote:I have a question for you. If you think it's better for states to decide these types of issues rather than the national government, why stop there? Why not go even more local and let counties decide?

Why stop there? Instead of county judges deciding for you, while don't we let American adults make the decision for themselves? We'd have to come up with a name for that, tho. Smile
Quote:Would not pro choice be the correct position for a libertarian?

As it stands right now a fetus, embryo, and zygote are not considered people under the law.

Therefore to banish abortion would be against the libertarian concept of keeping the government out of a decision regarding one's own body.

This is one area where I disagree with the Party. I don't need the law to tell me what a person is or isn't, and quite frankly, the law doesn't have a particularly good history of being correct about it.

Yes. Pro Choice is an official plank of the Libertarian Party.

But not every candidate follows every plank of a political party. Ron Paul was not Pro Choice when he ran as the Libertarian candidate in 1988.

I'd really consider going library libertarian if they weren't so pro laissez faire on economic issues... oh and if they'd just accept that the common good requires a strong central government.

Those two issues I think hurt libertarians the left. The anti authoritarian positions on drugs, war, and women's rights hurts them on the right...

In my opinion
Quote:I'd really consider going library libertarian if they weren't so pro laissez faire on economic issues... oh and if they'd just accept that the common good requires a strong central government.

Those two issues I think hurt libertarians the left. The anti authoritarian positions on drugs, war, and women's rights hurts them on the right...

In my opinion

I made the jump during GWs second presidency. As I see it, I agree with enough of Johnson's views to grossly counter where we might not align perfectly. If I'm being pushed by the system to vote for the lesser of two evils because I believe in fiscal responsibility (and opportunity) and am vehemently opposed to government attempting to legislate morality (under the ominous cloak of religion)...I'll take door number 3 and vote for Johnson...again...because I'm inherently a malcontent. Tongue

Quote:I made the jump during GWs second presidency. As I see it, I agree with enough of Johnson's views to grossly counter where we might not align perfectly. If I'm being pushed by the system to vote for the lesser of two evils because I believe in fiscal responsibility (and opportunity) and am vehemently opposed to government attempting to legislate morality (under the ominous cloak of religion)...I'll take door number 3 and vote for Johnson...again...because I'm inherently a malcontent. Tongue

I think Bush had an effect on alot of people...

But I'm curious, how can you reconcile the economic ideology of the libertarian?

I mean, I'm all for fiscal responsibility and I'm also against government waste. But that doesn't mean that I want a weakened federal government.

I also am of the belief that agencies like the irs and epa are necessary. They need strict oversight, but they shouldn't be shut down either.

I just think that if libertarians would actually change from fearing the government to realizing being a public servant is the business of acting as a steward of the government for the greater welfare of the nation, they'd get alot more traction.

I thought you wanted the government out of our lives... Until you don't.

It's not issues its a single issue. I believe all abortion past the first trimester should be illegal. I can compromise with making a state to state issue but to me there is no debate after 1st trikeater it's a living individual and should be afforded the protection of life.

Government exist to protect personal property rights if nothing else, and the right to life is the ultimate personal property right.
Quote:I thought you wanted the government out of our lives... Until you don't.

See the above post, when it comes to individual choice I'm pro choice everything, drugs, education, lifestyle, marriage equality, the line is when an innocent life is harmed. Abortion ends the life of a third party.

The law also said slaves where not people. Doesn't change the violation of personal property rights that slavery violated.
I voted Gary in 2012, will vote again if he gets the nomination.  

how can one NOT approve of the killing of innocent babies in the womb?  boggles the mind.

when it comes to everyday stuff, yes, please government run my life.  when it comes to little babies, HANDS OFF UNCLE SAM, I got babies to kill and you AINT TELLIN ME NUTHIN I CANT DO! FREEEEEDDDDDOOOOOOMMM!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7