Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Another trick for the wall
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Ok. There's been plenty of back and forth banter on Prez Trumps leadership,etc.

But cmon folks, even the staunchest supporters must be thinking,whoa, waitaminute.

The Wall. Who is paying for it? Mexico. Not so fast. It turned to taxpayers footing the bill, and Mexico paying us back. That was then.

Now? Proposed budget cuts up to 18 million to medical research and infrastructure for a down payment on the wall?

Are you ok with this? Just wondering.
Short answer: NO
lol ...  everything that is done in the next 46 months is going to be undone in 2021 when the new POTUS takes office so I say "have at it" do what you want.

Quote:Ok. There's been plenty of back and forth banter on Prez Trumps leadership,etc.

But cmon folks, even the staunchest supporters must be thinking,whoa, waitaminute.

The Wall. Who is paying for it? Mexico. Not so fast. It turned to taxpayers footing the bill, and Mexico paying us back. That was then.

Now? Proposed budget cuts up to 18 million to medical research and infrastructure for a down payment on the wall?

Are you ok with this? Just wondering.

No. 
All in all its just "Another Trick for the Wall" 
It's the art of the deal.

I'd be okay with a wall being built if it would... you know, actually work.  But I'm not okay with spending billions on a wall that might prevent a couple of people from coming to the US illegally.  (Especially when most people simply overstay on their visas, and there's other routes to use).    

I'm okay with the wall as part of a bigger action. The double fencing in San Diego and Yuma have been very effective in stopping people when in tandem with a strong border patrol presence. The visa overstays stick in my craw though, they signed and made promises about how long they would be staying here and now they have broken their word. In any other country that would land you in some pretty hot water. I think we need to get them out of here. 

It's a little strange to see Democrats and Liberals I know suddenly become budget hawks over the wall. A certain radio commentator that I enjoy made a good observation about people and Trump. Many folks take him literally but not seriously. This Mexico paying for the wall is a good example. Mexico is not going to write a check for the wall (or fence, i don't care), Trump doesn't literally mean they are going to take out the checkbook, but you should still take him seriously when he says there are other ways to get them to pay. The USA has consistently bailed out the Mexican Peso from currency collapses 6 or 7 times since the 1980s and the Peso is teetering on the edge of another such collapse. We have all the leverage we need. 

I mostly believe that the federal government should stay within its enumerated powers. I don't like that so much infrastructure of the interior flows through Washington. Trump likes to compare himself to Andrew Jackson, but Andrew Jackson was fiercely against this whole process of bringing home the federal infrastructure bacon to your home district. The wall is part of securing and defending the nation, so that doesn't bother me as much as why the federal government needs to be the funding source for medical research or fixing bridges in the states. 
lol mexico was never and is never going to "pay for" the wall no matter what metric you use, it was always going to be rely on the american tax payers/consumers, only the Trump cultist believed otherwise. 

Quote:The wall is part of securing and defending the nation, so that doesn't bother me as much as why the federal government needs to be the funding source for medical research or fixing bridges in the states. 

Defending the nation from what. the 767 people that were murdered in Chicago last year ?

You're bothered by the Fed Gov being a funding source for medical research and fixing bridges?   Dang, if it were for you we'd still be dealing with Polio and driving across falling bridges like the collapse we saw a few years back in Minneapolis
Quote:Defending the nation from what. the 767 people that were murdered in Chicago last year ?

You're bothered by the Fed Gov being a funding source for medical research and fixing bridges?   Dang, if it were for you we'd still be dealing with Polio and driving across falling bridges like the collapse we saw a few years back in Minneapolis
The federal govt has been the source of funding for those bridges like the one in Minneapolis for years and years but they failed in that role. 

You're creating a false choice. When I say that I do not want the Federal government with its tentacles in everything from medical research to fixing your local bridge, that doesn't mean I don't want medical research or every bridge to fall into disrepair. This is about the proper role for the the federal government. A local bridge should be maintained and paid for by the people in that city or state--the people who drive on it. When you send all the money to DC and let them play santa about which bridges get built and fixed, you end up with the money going to the districts of influential members of Congress instead of going to the bridges that actually need repair or building. The federal government doesn't really understand which bridges are crap and which are okay, the people on the ground are the ones that know. 

A large number of those murders in Chicago are drug and gang related. Drugs and gangs come across that border, especially this new heroine and opiate epidemic that we are seeing nationwide. The enforcement of the border, immigration, and customs are proper and enumerated powers of the Federal government. I expect them to do that function.

For all of your federal government largess, things in this country aren't doing so hot. We spend a lot of money on infrastructure and education among other things at the federal level and it sucks. What exactly does the federal government do well? They are inefficient, incompetent, and largely unaccountable but you want to give them more things to do. Maybe they should do fewer things and try not to muck it up. 

I could care less if tax payers pay the bill. The wall needs constructed.
Wall: 67 Billion Dollars

Watching people get ladders to go over it: Priceless

There's some things money can't buy.  For everything else there's Trumpcard.

Quote:I could care less if tax payers pay the bill. The wall needs constructed.

Cutting medical research programs and cutting monies that go towards infrastructure is less important than this wall then? Because that's how part of it will be paid for...and that's just a down payment.

This isn't about taxes paying as it is other vital areas being cut. Not to mention, " They " were going to pay. Now? Reverse and recede.
never forget that with baseline budgeting, a cut is never really a cut, just a slowing of growth. So if you only grow X program by 7% next year instead of 10, they cry that you want polio to come back. 

Don't forget that ObamaCare is basically a tax.  SCOTUS said so.

I don't think that the physical wall (or fence) will do a whole lot to physically stop dangerous people from entering the country illegally, but it sure will be a physical deterrent for part of the problem, those looking for cheap work.  While I do feel for those people, they are a massive drain on our economy and society.

I think that the more important part of "the wall" is more and better patrols along the border.

I personally don't have a problem with my tax dollars funding it.  After all, that is the role of the federal government.

Many don't have a problem with their taxes paying for this. Many do.

But cutting other budget items is what makes this the issue. Would the crowd go as crazy as they did when they heard...we're going to build a wall. And we are going to cut medical research, infrastructure upkeep,etc to get the down payment?

I'm " on the fence" regarding the wall. We need security and it will need to be constantly patrolled and monitored. Ok. But how and what cost and how effective will it be. Legit questions.

Mexico will pay for it. That's what was a uge campaign promise. Maybe I didn't totally understand.
Medical research and infrastructure is not the job of the federal government.

... 3... 0... 4!
Pages: 1 2