Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: New Rivalry Outside of the Division
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Rivalries outside of the division are established through playoff matchups (e.g. Pats vs Colts / Cowboys vs 49ers, etc.)  

With that in mind, who would you like to see the Jags establish a rivalry outside of our Division and within the AFC ?  Let's exclude the former Jag rival (Steelers) for the sake of getting some new thoughts.

Personally, I'd love to see the Jags battle it out with the Raiders.  Both teams really seem to be on the same path and the fact that JDR is out there adds an additional element to the conversation.

We've been playing the Bills and Browns a lot lately but those 2 teams do nothing for me.

Nice topic. 

I think the Raiders would be a great "rivalry" considering the points that you mentioned and how similar we are to each other.

I wish we could get back to the Steelers rivalry from the mid 2000's.

Those were fun games to watch.

TBH, I would say Baltimore is our biggest rival outside of the AFCS; almost every game we've played them has come down to the final seconds (quite literally as was the case recently), and even when we've been down and they've been up, we've always had really good games, like the MNF game for instance. A matchup in the playoffs would only further solidify it.

It's hard to say without the game unfolding.

But for topic sake, I would say the Packers. Vic Ketchman.
I think it's oakland because it coming to become the next Manning vs Brady for the next few years. 

Quote:I think it's oakland because it coming to become the next Manning vs Brady for the next few years.

Just out of curiosity, in that analogy who is Derek Carr?
Quote:Just out of curiosity, in that analogy who is Derek Carr?
Manning only because i want Blake to be Brady
Quote:TBH, I would say Baltimore is our biggest rival outside of the AFCS; almost every game we've played them has come down to the final seconds (quite literally as was the case recently), and even when we've been down and they've been up, we've always had really good games, like the MNF game for instance. A matchup in the playoffs would only further solidify it.
I agree with this.  It also does not hurt we use to be in the same division.
I would say Oakland is the logical choice.

Both teams have been drafting well over the last three years.  Both teams have young promising QBs.

Both teams have young stars and potential stars throughout the rosters.

If both develop as anticipated, both teams should battle for AFC supremacy in the seasons to come.

AFC North teams- Pitt, Balt, Clev, Cinn all pretty much hate each other already and it would be tough to intrude on their party; AFC East- NE, Buff, NYJ, MIA is a long established division with clear lines of rivalry so it's equally difficult to crack that; that leaves the AFC West, SD, KC, Oak, Den...equally long established but I'd go with Oakland for this question.

From JDR to the QBs to the timeline of ascension, yeah, I say the Raidahs.

Though it's exciting to think of a rivalry borne of a struggle for conference dominance with the Raiders, the fact is, even after all this time, I still miss those old AFC Central rivalries, especially against the Steelers and Ravens.  Perhaps it's in part because we haven't been good enough to really have many meaningful games in the AFC South, perhaps because we were still new at the time, perhaps it's because I'm getting (gotten?) old, but I don't seem to get worked up as much to face the Colts and Texans as I did when we played the Ravens and Steelers.

Quote:It's hard to say without the game unfolding.

But for topic sake, I would say the Packers. Vic Ketchman.
The Ketchman Bowl. I like it.
Pittsburgh.
Wins? Kinda have been the nemesis lately.
Actually, I'd say the losses have been worse to us than the wins.

I can see many Monday and Sunday night games against the Raiders in the future
Quote:Pittsburgh.
This. I love playing Pitt because it's always a physical, 2 chin strap brawl.

I'll throw in Carolina as well since they are our expansion team brothers.
Quote:Rivalries outside of the division are established through playoff matchups (e.g. Pats vs Colts / Cowboys vs 49ers, etc.)

With that in mind, who would you like to see the Jags establish a rivalry outside of our Division and within the AFC ? Let's exclude the former Jag rival (Steelers) for the sake of getting some new thoughts.

Personally, I'd love to see the Jags battle it out with the Raiders. Both teams really seem to be on the same path and the fact that JDR is out there adds an additional element to the conversation.

We've been playing the Bills and Browns a lot lately but those 2 teams do nothing for me.

The new Pats v. Colts is Jags v. Raiders.
To be honest this franchise has not been worthy of an outside the division rival.  The old AFC Central teams are the closest thing we have.  I know the OP excluded the Steelers but they are truly it.  If not them it has to be the Raven's.

Steelers without a doubt. There has historically been some memorable games with them over the years, especially when they were our division rival.

*  First home win in franchise history

*  Fred Taylor 234 yards rushing in Three Rivers (stadium record)

*  Biil Cowher almost punching Chis Hudson on block kick return

*  Beating them twice on their field in 2007

*  Jags hold all time series record 12-11
Pages: 1 2