Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Colvin and Prince
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
When Colvin returns where do you see him fitting in? Dave got Prince to be a starter opposite of House...he definitely felt at that time they didn't have a real shot at Ramsey but now we have a good problem to have and real depth at CB...with Ramsey projected as a starter, it seems like Colvin after serving suspension might not see the field that much. Colvin is perfect in his role as the Nickel CB and was one of the few bright spots in the secondary next to House last year. Should be interesting where he fits in and how they decide to use Prince as well.

So long as everyone stays healthy in front of him, I think Colvin is going to be pretty low on the depth chart until he shows -without any doubt- that he belongs on the field. I hope not, but that PED suspension combined with the free agency/draft results could end up costing Colvin dearly in terms of his future as a Jaguar. Nevermind the money it could end up costing him. Hope he comes back focused and ready, we could definitely use his presence in the nickel D.

Quote:When Colvin returns where do you see him fitting in? Dave got Prince to be a starter opposite of House...he definitely felt at that time they didn't have a real shot at Ramsey but now we have a good problem to have and real depth at CB...with Ramsey projected as a starter, it seems like Colvin after serving suspension might not see the field that much. Colvin is perfect in his role as the Nickel CB and was one of the few bright spots in the secondary next to House last year. Should be interesting where he fits in and how they decide to use Prince as well.

The Depth chart before PreSeason is always subject to change.  I expect Jalen Ramsey will start week 1 on the outside IMO with Davon House opposite to him.  If Prince can remain healthy it would make sense that he is inside, plus Colvin can't play until week 6 (though I think he can compete in preseason).
I'm guessing Ramsey starts the season ahead Prince, but it's possible the rookie will need more time to work his way into the starting line-up. Once Ramsey solidifies the spot and Colvin return, I totally see Prince and Colvin battling for the nickel spot.

After undrafted free agency, Gus mentioned that the team now has 12 corners to consider. With the team likely going heavy on the DL and likely carrying a third qb, I figure they'll only keep 5 active corners with one or two more on the PS. It's possible they keep a sixth, but they'd have to go short somewhere else. With that in mind, I thought I'd list the 12 corners...

1. Devon House

2. Jalen Ramsey

3. Prince Amukamara

4. Aaron Colvin

5. Demetrius McCray

6. Dwayne Gratz

7. Nick Marshall

8. Peyton Thompson

9. Rashaad Reynolds

10. Chance Casey

11. Josh Johnson

12. Briean Boddy-Calhoun

13. Mike Hilton

I see there's actually 13.

All things being equal, Colvin still gets playing time since Prince is 29 and only a short term solution

Quote:All things being equal, Colvin still gets playing time since Prince is 29 and only a short term solution

Prince is 26. Injuries happen so I'm sure Colvin will still get plenty of PT. Heck, the last few games last year had Nick Marshall and Peyton Thompson getting heavy burn at CB.
I'm going to guess that Prince and House starts at corner with Ramsey filling the nickel role in Colvin's 4-game absence. 

Week 5 is our bye week. By then you can start cross-training Ramsey to the outside, just in time for Colvin's return.

Quote:Prince is 26. Injuries happen so I'm sure Colvin will still get plenty of PT. Heck, the last few games last year had Nick Marshall and Peyton Thompson getting heavy burn at CB.

I thought Peyton Thompson played pretty decent when he was on the field.
I can see them rotating the outside CBs a bit.  Jalen can play outside on early downs and could go to nickel on other downs.

Ramsey is going to be an outside lockdown corner; they will not wait to put him on the field to begin gaining experience.  The battle in my mind is for the other outside corner spot is House or Amukamara.  I think Prince is the better CB when healthy.  But, it will be fun to watch the competition. 

Prince and House on the outside, Ramsey at nickel while Colvin suspended, Ramsey eventually supersedes either Prince or House depending on who performs worse. If Prince doesn't have a fantastic year and we don't resign him, Ramsey will take his place, vice versa if House underwhelms and we resign Prince to a longer contract. I think Colvin stays as the nickel when he returns

Hard to imagine Ramsey not start on one side or the other but i do believe Caldwell mentioned Ramsey will play a lot of Nickel.
I think for the first few games we will probably see Ramsey moved around a lot. Up on the line, nickel, outside, and blitzing.
I love that House, the best CB we had last year who definitely had a very solid season, could now be #2 or #3 on the depth chart.
I would say week 1-4 House and Prince on the outside with Ramsey rotating between the two and get all the nickel snaps. Then after the bye week 6 it would prolly be Ramsey and House with Prince going to the outside on pass downs and Ramsey sliding inside to blitz and roam the middle and deep middle/boundary. Colvin in every scenario I think of gets regulated to a dime role.

Where it gets fun is since your top 4 corners are pretty strong, do you carry 5 or 6? The camp battle would be Gratz, McCray and Marshall for 2 spots. Possibly 1. I am excited to see who emerges from that fight. You could prolly stash one of them on PS tho...
A lot of people sleeping on Prince. I live in NY and see a lot of the giants. The guy is a legit number 1 corner when healthy. He's better than House.
I think being  rookies Jalen Ramsey and Myles Jack will be moved around a lot to figure out which roles suite them best. Colvin will have a hurdle to overcome once he's back, yet I think he'll be our nickel.

Guessing the starters will be Ramsey and House with Colvin and Prince battling it out at nickel
Quote:A lot of people sleeping on Prince. I live in NY and see a lot of the giants. The guy is a legit number 1 corner when healthy. He's better than House.

Im in NY also and I totally disagree that Prince is a #1.
Quote:I'm guessing Ramsey starts the season ahead Prince, but it's possible the rookie will need more time to work his way into the starting line-up. Once Ramsey solidifies the spot and Colvin return, I totally see Prince and Colvin battling for the nickel spot.

After undrafted free agency, Gus mentioned that the team now has 12 corners to consider. With the team likely going heavy on the DL and likely carrying a third qb, I figure they'll only keep 5 active corners with one or two more on the PS. It's possible they keep a sixth, but they'd have to go short somewhere else. With that in mind, I thought I'd list the 12 corners...

<ul class="bbcol decimal">[*]Devon House
[*]Jalen Ramsey
[*]Prince Amukamara
[*]Aaron Colvin
[*]Demetrius McCray
[*]Dwayne Gratz
[*]Nick Marshall
[*]Peyton Thompson
[*]Rashaad Reynolds
[*]Chance Casey
[*]Josh Johnson
[*]Briean Boddy-Calhoun
[*]Mike Hilton
</ul>I see there's actually 13.

I think they like Marshall more than Gratz or McCray. He was active last year in games where the other two were healthy scratches.
Pages: 1 2 3