Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Cautious optomism. .....excited but.....cautious
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I myself, am still caught up in all of the free agency and draft buzz.

And I believe we are ON PAPER a much improved team.

But the realist in me...

Says.....

( I'm prolly gonna start something here)

Says.... it might take a year...

OR TWO YEARS....

for us to get to say....9 and 7

Or 10 and 6...

I'm wanting comments....that argue on this subject
I am optimistic as well and i think 9-7 is realistic this year or next. For the argument.. Gus Bradley, he might be a horrible head coach.

Quote:I am optimistic as well and i think 9-7 is realistic this year or next. For the argument.. Gus Bradley, he might be a horrible head coach.
Let's say. ...

We have no key players lost to I jury nor suspension I thunk Bradley better hope we go 9 and 7
Unfortunately we do have a player lost to suspension for the first four games - a pretty good one. But two major upgrades at CB will lessen the pain while we wait for Aaron Colvin to return.

I think the defense will continue to struggle in some games because of our schedule and the fact that rookies have a lot to learn. We should see the defense make huge strides in 2017.

Cautiously optimistic means you're too scared to just be optimistic, even though optimistic just means keeping positive, there is nothing that this team has done that should put anyone in a pessimistic frame of mind, for the past three years we have finally started to act like a real NFL franchise, sure not everything has been perfect but they seldom are, but when things have gone the wrong way we seem to be course correcting better,

Now let's not be ridiculous and predict unreasonable expectations but to be optimistic and say you believe this team will be better than last year is hardly a stretch, and definitely does not require caution
I feel like people should speed up. Why do I have to be cautious? If I get let down then that's on me.

It kills me when people get hyped up only for people to tell me to slow down.
Quote:I feel like people should speed up. Why do I have to be cautious? If I get let down then that's on me.

It kills me when people get hyped up only for people to tell me to slow down.
Amen.

People told me the same about the Cubs.

Guess what?  They won 97 games and made it to the NLCS last year.  They're off to a 20-6 start this year.  They are young, talented and a good group of young guys.

Guess what?  This Jaguars team is young, talented and has a good group of guys too.

Bortles, Hurns, ARob, Linder, Telvin, Thomas, Ramsey, Jack, Fowler, Jackson, Marks, Yeldon, Cann, Beachum, Gipson, House, Colvin...

This team has plenty of talent to make a dramatic turn around this season.

It won't be a surprise to see this team win 10 or so games. It wouldn't be a huge shocker if they lost 10 or so. I think I'd bet on over 7 if I had to, but it's not exactly a safe bet.

We undoubtedly have more to look forward to than we have in any season since 2008. For that, I'm stoked. I'm not gonna welp myself to death if Gus proves to not be the guy, because this roster is flat out loaded with young talent.
I am not ready to expect 10 wins before training camp. We don't know who will be cut during and after preseason. We also don't know if any injuries suffered this summer will be on regular season injury reports. That's what "cautious" means here: It is way too early to make any predictions beyond the obvious "defense will be much better" one that everyone has been talking about.

It's not too early for me. I'm gonna go at my own speed.
Quote:I am not ready to expect 10 wins before training camp. We don't know who will be cut during and after preseason. We also don't know if any injuries suffered this summer will be on regular season injury reports. That's what "cautious" means here: It is way too early to make any predictions beyond the obvious "defense will be much better" one that everyone has been talking about.

The cuts at the bottom of the roster aren't going to deter me from my predictions. They won't make a big difference.

This team is a 10-12 win team. Mark it down.
Quote:The cuts at the bottom of the roster aren't going to deter me from my predictions. They won't make a big difference.

This team is a 10-12 win team. Mark it down.

Some cuts will not be at the bottom of the roster. It depends on who we cut.

Twelve wins would mean we sweep all three division rivals, win on the West Coast, and beat teams that won playoff games last season. It is not an easy schedule. Let's hope everyone stays healthy and we don't miss Aaron Colvin for four weeks.
Quote:Some cuts will not be at the bottom of the roster. It depends on who we cut.

Twelve wins would mean we sweep all three division rivals, win on the West Coast, and beat teams that won playoff games last season. It is not an easy schedule. Let's hope everyone stays healthy and we don't miss Aaron Colvin for four weeks.

No schedule is ever easy in the NFL.

You are welcome to hold back expectations but I am not going to do that.

This team will take the NFL by storm soon and it's going to be glorious.
The team has the talent to do well. But the defence will be massively overhauled - they need to learn to play as a team, and that could take time. Not to mention the fact that some of the key pieces haven't played a single NFL game in their lives. You won't get the full effects of this offseason's overhaul for another year. Hopefully we'll see enough to give better results this year, but don't believe for a second that we'll get the best out of it this season.
Idk Iapetus, I think we'll all be surprised at how fast this D gels, or at least that's my hope and expectation. They have enough on the front 7 to completely stuff the run, and while nowhere near a finished product, I think our pass rush has enough potential to give our secondary much more help than they did last year. I think our secondary, although just on paper for now, is totally stacked when compared to 2015.

I think Gus is going to have try to get play his guys to play loose this year in order to save his job. Expectations have been levied and this is still an extremely young team; I see the potential for them coming out tight and scared of screwing up for Gus' sake. There's talent everywhere -young & fast talent at that- on the defense now, and I think the best way for Gus to make the most of that this year (this year being an important phrase here) is to play a more simple scheme and just let the talent on this roster show itself. Gus won't get canned if he wins 6 or 7 games and his young guys show measurable development over the year. He knows that.

I could be wrong for sure. Gus just might pull a Bradley and think he can finally play the same exact D as Seattle and get away with it, now that he has a couple extra chess pieces. If he does try and force the clone of the Seattle D project in Jax in 2016, I think it will cost him his job. I definitely don't expect that, not this year anyway.

I think our Oline will again be the unit that takes the most time to gel; they probably will cost us a few games doing so too. I think they'll get much better as the season progresses though. I see this as a probable 7-9 to 9-7 team, with an outside shot of winning 10 games if they come out on fire. I can't see less than 6 wins, personally.

Sorry for the long post. Am drunk and still so so high on Jags football after that draft.
Naw, we going 18-0
Quote:I myself, am still caught up in all of the free agency and draft buzz.

And I believe we are ON PAPER a much improved team.

But the realist in me...

Says.....

( I'm prolly gonna start something here)

Says.... it might take a year...

OR TWO YEARS....

for us to get to say....9 and 7

Or 10 and 6...

I'm wanting comments....that argue on this subject

The General Manager Dave Caldwell said in an interview recently when asked if Head Coach Gus Bradley's job is on the line this year, that he doesn't feel that it is (paraphrasing) and that they had always discussed a four or five year plan when they sought out to rebuild.  That he feels the expectation is to show obvious improvement and not sure what that equates in an exact win total.

I expect with this roster anything short of at least 8 wins or more (not to be a losing season) would be a huge let down... now whether the owner would fire Dave or Gus over that I dunno I guess it would depend on how the season went (like i dont even want to type it but injuries for example)..
Quote:Naw, we going 18-0

We gonna skip the Super Bowl?   Just drop the mic and walk off at 18-0?  

You do realize you're one game short, right? 

Okay, as far as "cautiously optimistic," sign me up for that. 

But as far as rookies being rookies, and us being better in 2017 than in 2016, because rookies take their biggest jump from year one to year two, yes that is true.   That said, maybe our rookie class from 2015 will be taking that big jump.   Fowler, Yeldon, Cann, Sample.   What if they all take that big jump this year?   I know Fowler hasn't played, but he has had a year to learn the defense, and to get in NFL shape.  That should make him more than a rookie.  

Then add in the really good class of free agents, especially Tashaun Gipson, who represents the biggest upgrade of anyone this offseason.  

I think it's all on the offensive line.   If the offensive line plays well, we will be a playoff team.   That's the big question as far as I'm concerned. 

With a star-studded draft and FA roster, we might crack .500. Bill Belichick would take our practice squad on a playoff run.
Pages: 1 2