Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Why is Bowanko on the roster?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Coming into this season he's had two offseasons to build bulk and power in the run game. I think he may be better at C than losing Linder or Cann at guard.

Blake is the most important player for success. Even though LT will be the premium position to protect him, I think center will be the critical battle to watch this offseason. Center will make or break this line for the run and pass game.
Depth on interior O-Line. He has experience in our system.

I think it's a good sign when we question why backups are on the roster!
Are you really asking? Or is your post actually answering the question?
He's young, not played center his whole life, and was a project. He also has a couple years on the team and starting experience. He's serviceable.
Because a better player hasn't pushed him off the roster?
He's not actually asking. His thread title could use some work, but he's alluding to the fact that Bowanko may be the starting center we've been looking for this offseason, after two years of bulking up and learning the system. He is a Caldwell draft pick too remember.

I disagree with him being our guy though. I think Linder will play center and one of Shatley, Martineau, and Joeckel will start in his place at guard. I expect Dave to draft offensive line early and often next year, since it's looking like we are potentially gonna be doing some Oline patching throughout the season in 2016.
Quote:He's not actually asking. His thread title could use some work, but he's alluding to the fact that Bowanko may be the starting center we've been looking for this offseason, after two years of bulking up and learning the system. He is a Caldwell draft pick too remember.

I disagree with him being our guy though. I think Linder will play center and one of Shatley, Martineau, and Joeckel will start in his place at guard. I expect Dave to draft offensive line early and often next year, since it's looking like we are potentially gonna be doing some Oline patching throughout the season in 2016.

That's what I thought. It's more of a "here's why he's on the roster"
Quote:He's not actually asking. His thread title could use some work, but he's alluding to the fact that Bowanko may be the starting center we've been looking for this offseason, after two years of bulking up and learning the system. He is a Caldwell draft pick too remember.

Why not Cann at center?
I'm not the only one that thought he did well at Center his rookie year, am I?  I mean, he was definitely not the weakest link on that O-Line in 2014.  Am I remembering that wrong?
Quote:Why not Cann at center?

Early in the offseason the thought was Cann or Linder could move to Center in a clinch. Later when it was clear Wiz wasn't returning before the draft, they came out and said Cann will start at either RG or LG and that Linder would either start at RG or C. Why? I'm not entirely sure but it does allow both players to focus.

Quote:I'm not the only one that thought he did well at Center his rookie year, am I?  I mean, he was definitely not the weakest link on that O-Line in 2014.  Am I remembering that wrong?

No, I also thought he did surprisingly well.  Better than I thought a 6th round rookie had any business doing.

Of course, it's possible he's progressed since then, or not.  The expectations for the same player in year 3 will be higher.
Quote:I'm not the only one that thought he did well at Center his rookie year, am I?  I mean, he was definitely not the weakest link on that O-Line in 2014.  Am I remembering that wrong?

It didn't seem like he did badly, but the fact that Wiz beat him out last year and he was not that good is interesting. If anything I thought Bo as a rookie was better than Wiz last season. I still think Linder gets the center job tho
Quote:Even though LT will be the premium position to protect him, I think center will be the critical battle to watch this offseason. Center will make or break this line for the run and pass game.

People keep putting too much importance on one or two positions on the line. The most important aspect for the offensive line is the scheme and for the guys on the line to trust and work together at it. The best playoff teams do not require the best Center or LT or Guard. The best playoff teams also often overcome numerous offensive line injuries. 

Yes, you do need actual legitimate players to run that scheme, but for once the Jags may have that given their additions in free agency. Give them an off season to actually figure it out. 
I wonder about Bowanko too.  The competition with Wiz was deemed essentially too close to call and the team went with Wiz's experience and familiarity with the offense over the more athletic Bowanko.  So with another year in the system and the weight room and the obvious need for a long-term answer at Center, why not Bowanko?  I hope he gets a legit shot at C with the two excellent OGs beside him. 

I still think they were trying to get him ready to play tackle. You develop the body differently for that and it may have cost him the center spot last year.
I think Bowanko will have a hard time making the roster. He really wasn't that good here he started as a rookie.
I think Bowanko is solid depth who can play multiple positions along the line.  That makes him an asset. 

Quote:I'm not the only one that thought he did well at Center his rookie year, am I? I mean, he was definitely not the weakest link on that O-Line in 2014. Am I remembering that wrong?

He was not an absolute disaster like Brewster and McClendon were. But they set the bar pretty low.
Quote:I think it's a good sign when we question why backups are on the roster!
Boom
Pages: 1 2