Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: An Embarrassment of Riches
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Trying to temper my enthusiasm a little...    Right now it's all on paper.   These guys need to gel.   We may be disappointed.  

But all that aside, wow, what a haul we have had this offseason.   Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that we signed Tashaun Gipson, a premier free safety, in free agency; something we have not had in a long time, and something that is an essential part of the single-high-safety defense we are trying to build.   That actually could have more impact than anything else we did the last few months. 

Then of course Malik Jackson, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Kelvin Beachum, Chris Ivory.   And Dante Fowler.  

My question for you is, of all these new toys we have acquired this offseason, which one is the one that intrigues you the most?  

For me, it is Myles Jack.   Myles Jack is the player I will be most interested in seeing this summer.   We have never had a linebacker with that kind of coverage ability.   Not even close.  

Damn, we landed the premier free agent, we got 2 of the top 3 players in the draft (one of them in a scratch and dent sale), a pro bowl free safety, a pro bowl running back, last year's #3 pick in the draft, and lest we forget, we already had Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Julius Thomas, Telvin Smith, Yeldon.  

Geez.   I'm just giddy.  

Quote:Trying to temper my enthusiasm a little...    Right now it's all on paper.   These guys need to gel.   We may be disappointed.  

But all that aside, wow, what a haul we have had this offseason.   Lost in all the hoopla is the fact that we signed Tashaun Gipson, a premier free safety, in free agency; something we have not had in a long time, and something that is an essential part of the single-high-safety defense we are trying to build.   That actually could have more impact than anything else we did the last few months. 

Then of course Malik Jackson, Jalen Ramsey, Myles Jack, Kelvin Beachum, Chris Ivory.   And Dante Fowler.  

My question for you is, of all these new toys we have acquired this offseason, which one is the one that intrigues you the most?  

For me, it is Myles Jack.   Myles Jack is the player I will be most interested in seeing this summer.   We have never had a linebacker with that kind of coverage ability.   Not even close.  

Damn, we landed the premier free agent, we got 2 of the top 3 players in the draft (one of them in a scratch and dent sale), a pro bowl free safety, a pro bowl running back, last year's #3 pick in the draft, and lest we forget, we already had Bortles, Robinson, Hurns, Julius Thomas, Telvin Smith, Yeldon.  

Geez.   I'm just giddy.

After every off season we get excited for our sured improvement, the difference is, this time is may be real. Everyone, even the most skeptical, know we've improved this roster. good times are ahead.
I liked all signings but really Myles Jack is the one who stands out for me, my favourite player from the draft, amazing athlete and with the coverage abilities that we desperately needed.

He gives us something that none of the either LB's can do and he has so much potential that it's almost scary thinking about that.

But as I said all of the additions make me happy. If the pass rush doesn't let us down this year Gipson, Ramsey and Jack are going to have a party. And I'm not forgetting Amukamara, if healthy that guy is good though.

Finally House is not alone anymore back there and I'm sure he will take more chances as well Smile

There is a good article in the Times Onion about Myles Jack.

It talks about the time he was tasked with covering former USC WR and Eagles 2nd round pick WR Nelson Agholor.

Jack actually found tape of Agholor in high school to find out his tendencies.  Agholor wound up with only 3 catches for the game, none on Jack.

If that is the kind of dedication he has to his craft, to improve his game, we have an outstanding player.

In fact, I really liked what Ramsey and Day had to say too.  Ramsey talked about getting more rings.  Day talked about changing everything about this organization.

I can't recall talk like that from Jaguars rookies ever.

Myles Jack. He was my favorite draft prospect and the guy I wanted at 5. I am still in shock that we got him in the 2nd, along with Ramsey. Those two may be the best round 1&2 value ever if they stay healthy and project how they should.

Really curious to see how they use Jack in this defense. He may be the first player in Jags history that can actually cover a TE well. TEs have been killing us since I can remember.
Quote:There is a good article in the Times Onion about Myles Jack.

It talks about the time he was tasked with covering former USC WR and Eagles 2nd round pick WR Nelson Agholor.

Jack actually found tape of Agholor in high school to find out his tendencies.  Agholor wound up with only 3 catches for the game, none on Jack.

If that is the kind of dedication he has to his craft, to improve his game, we have an outstanding player.

In fact, I really liked what Ramsey and Day had to say too.  Ramsey talked about getting more rings.  Day talked about changing everything about this organization.

I can't recall talk like that from Jaguars rookies ever.

The 2016 draft appears to be of similar quality to the 2014 draft which produced the Jaguars all time record holders in Passing yards, Passing TDs, Passing completions, and TD receptions.

2014's class is a tough act to follow, but 2016's class could be the draft that puts the team over the top. If it doesn't put the team over the top then Khan really needs to impound the Gus Bus and bring in a coach that won't get in the way of his players success.
Quote:After every off season we get excited for our sured improvement, the difference is, this time is may be real. Everyone, even the most skeptical, know we've improved this roster. good times are ahead.

How can it NOT be real?  There's just so MUCH.   
He's not technically a new addition, but Fowler is the most intriguing piece for me. If he can be the player he was drafted to be that will be the key for MAJOR improvement from this defense... It will be interesting to see how the drafted pass rushers will be used too, but if Fowler can develop into an every down player who can disrupt the QB this team can really go places. It's a lot to ask for a player in essentially his first year, but with the solidity and depth along the rest of the d-line he has a great opportunity to shine. Opponents wont be able to double team him...
After free agency and the draft the player I'm most excited to see is....Dante Fowler. I loved free agency and we had possibly the best draft in franchise history, but Fowler is going to be the guy that makes this entire thing click. The success of this defense is on his shoulders and something tells me he's on a mission to prove any doubters wrong.
Quote:He's not technically a new addition, but Fowler is the most intriguing piece for me. If he can be the player he was dragged for be that will be the key for MAJOR improvement from this defense... It will be interesting to see how the starter pass rushers will be used too, but if Fowler can develop into an every down player who can disrupt the QB this team can really go places. It's a lot to ask for a player in essentially his first year, but with the solidity and depth along the rest of the d-line he has a great opportunity to shine. Opponents wont be able to double team him...

Great minds think alike :thumbsup:
Quote:How can it NOT be real?  There's just so MUCH.

Agreed. This roster is actually good.
I remember a while back, there was a discussion about the Super Bowl winning defenses of the modern era and the things they had in common.

Whether you are examining the Steelers and Cowboys of the 70s, the Bears, 49ers, Skins of the 1980s, Dallas, Denver 49ers and Packers of the 1990s, etc., they all had one thing in common:  All of those defenses had playmakers on each level of the defense.

Defensive "triplets" if you will.

Think about it.

Steelers of the 70s:  DL-Greene, Greenwood; LB Ham and Lambert; DB Blount, Shell

Cowboys of the 70's:  DL Martin, White; LB-Henderson; DB Waters and Harris

Bears of 1980s:  DL Dent, Hampton; LB Singletary, Marshall; DB Fencik

49ers of 1980s:  DL Carter; LB Haley; DB Lott, Wright, Williamson

Skins of 1980s: DL Manley & Mann; LB Marshall; DB Green

Cowboys of 1990s: DL Haley & Lett; LB Smith; DB-Sanders & Woodson

Packers of 1990s: DL R. White; LB Simmons; DB Butler

Ravens of 2000: DL McCrary; LB Lewis & Boulware; DB Woodson and McAlister

Bucs of 2000s:  DL Sapp and Rice; LB Brooks; DB Barber & Lynch

You get the point.

If we hit on Fowler, Ramsey and Jack, we could have our own triplets on all three levels of the defense.  I like the possibilities.
And in case we forget, we still have the most cap room in the league.  

I've been a lot kinder to Gus in his time here due to him being a defensive coach and inheriting a terrible defense that didn't fit his style at all.

Now this year it's boom or bust for Gus. The offense is built and Olson will keep us putting points on the board but now it's all down to Gus  and his D coaches. Caldwell has given him the talent and given him guys who fit his scheme perfectly (Ramsey, Jack, Fowler etc are all made for this team). Looking back at Jags teams over the years, this is one of the most talented teams we've ever had on paper and this year we must see results.

Whatever happens this year, Caldwell must stay. His work here is incredible.

Never be embarrassed to be better than the rest. Only be embarrassed about where you're not.

For this team that list is much shorter today.
Myles Jack is going to be such an upgrade to our linebackers in coverage. For all these years how we have been getting burned by tight ends, it needs to stop, now.

Im curious to see what Fowler is going to bring. Will he have a setback? Will he be what we thought he was going to be?
Quote:I've been a lot kinder to Gus in his time here due to him being a defensive coach and inheriting a terrible defense that didn't fit his style at all.

Now this year it's boom or bust for Gus. The offense is built and Olson will keep us putting points on the board but now it's all down to Gus  and his D coaches. Caldwell has given him the talent and given him guys who fit his scheme perfectly (Ramsey, Jack, Fowler etc are all made for this team). TLooking back at Jags teams over the years, this is one of the most talented teams we've ever had on paper and this year we must see results.

Whatever happens this year, Caldwell must stay. His work here is incredible.

This. All this.
Quote:After every off season we get excited for our sured improvement, the difference is, this time is may be real. Everyone, even the most skeptical, know we've improved this roster. good times are ahead.
Agreed, and I am tempering my expectations expecting rookie mistakes, a learning curve, and a whole lot of new players who have never played together or in the NFL at all learning each other and gelling...In no way am I suggesting a horrible hot dumpster fire, and I do expect a much better product on the field, but I'm not ready to predict anything more than visible improvement, but not necessarily playoffs ...
Quote:Never be embarrassed to be better than the rest. Only be embarrassed about where you're not.

For this team that list is much shorter today.
right now everything is on paper only...on paper we are great, let's hope it doesn't take a year or 2 for the greatness to manifest on the field 
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5