Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Improved Pass Rush
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
With a pass rush package of Fowler, Jackson, Day, Marks, Yannick...

...And at LB Jack and Smith- with Ramsey, House and Prince at corner and Gipson at safety

I feel pretty good about 3rd downs now.

#Feelin'Good #GoJags!
Praise the football gods because 3rd down was infuriating last season.
Just sorting out the new defensive line is a challenge, especially considering 4-3 teams generally only keep 9 or 10 DLs. We very well may end up keeping an 11th DL. With Ngakoue likely entrenched as their 2nd LEO, we can start to get an idea of the 1a and 1b rotating D-lines that Caldwell has mentioned...

1a: DE Odrick, NT Miller, DT Jackson, LEO Fowler

1b: DE Jackson, NT Jones, DT Marks, LEO Ngakoue

Jackson is getting paid for double duty.

This leaves probably 3 to 4 spots with the remaining players to sort out...

• DE Ryan Davis - Forced out of necessity into the LEO spot as of late, Davis can now focus on his natural ability to rush from all over the DL.

• DE/DT Tyson Alualu - While some marvel at his ability to set the edge, others wonders why this is the only thing he can do after years since being drafted early in the first round by Gene Smith just ahead of several perennial pro bowlers. This past year they let him rush from the 3-tech and the outside edge on the strong side, and yet he still rarely got near the qb. He proved to be a rather massive FB in short-yardage which is one of few threads still attaching him to this roster.

• DT Michael Bennett - While he hasn't yet had a breakout moment as a player, he generally holds his own as a 3-tech DT especially vs the run.

• DE Chris Smith - Showed quite a bit of pass rushing potential despite only 2 sacks in each of the past two seasons, but he never was an ideal fit at LEO. Chris probably moves to the strongside DE spot where he needs to make more of a name for himself.

• DT Richard Ash - I was surprised to see him make the PS last year after witnessing him getting blown up in the Preseason by scrubs, but Caldwell seems to see something in him as a 3-tech DT. 

• DE Quanterus Smith - The Jaguars are kicking the tires on his once promising DE who after a few years of battling injuries has yet to actually post a sack in the NFL.

• DE Jonathan Woodard - picked in seventh round Saturday night, Woodard is an intimidating pass rusher with the ability and moves to rush the passer from anywhere along the DL possibly including the LEO spot. I expect him to compete with Chris Smith and Alualu for a strongside backup DE spot.

• DT Sheldon Day - Selected early in round four, Day is an interior pass rushing machine who can also rush from the strong end. Likely to initially work out as a 3-tech competing with Ryan Davis and Michael Bennett. ...and possibly Alualu if they keep him at DT.

• DE Tyrone Holmes - The sixth round pick most likely the team's much needed 3rd LEO who some say is the a hidden gem as one of the draft's best pure edge rushers.

Obvious: Odrick,Miller,Jackson,Fowler,Jones,Marks Ngakoue, Day

My picks: Davis,can be the 3rd Leo or the 3rd big end or even the 3rd 3T

Alualu,not going to be a popular pick but from the list he's the best back up DT we have and can also play the big end. It will be a battle between Bennett and Alualu

Wildcard:Heard Holmes might be an otto so he might have a shot there. Woodard/Smith seem as if they will be PS guys unless injuries occur
I agree with the first two posters.

Last year, no matter how far behind the chains we'd get an opposing offense, we could count on them to convert on 3rd and long.

It was an exercise in futility, and, perhaps more than anything else, triggered the negative thoughts of Jaguars fans.

Now, it appears not only our deep coverage but our underneath coverage is upgraded.  I'm excited about the possibilities.

Ramsey, Jack, Telvin Smith, and Colvin when he returns all have the ability to be effective blitzers.  I can imagine all or most of them lined up on the LOS showing blitz.

If Ramsey and Jack show the kind of coverage we think they can and are playing man, a QB looking to beat the blitz will almost have to surrender two hot reads off the bat to have an effective play.  If we can take Jared Cook and Jordy Nelson out of the game due to tight coverage, I like our chances with the rest of the secondary against the other guys.

It's great to have legit hope, isn't it?
Colojag,

The LEO is the elephant.

Quote:Colojag,

The LEO is the elephant.

My apologies, just seems like such a good name for the big end because Red Bryant haha

3rd Down DE Ngakoue DT Jackson DT Marks DE Fowler

That's what I'm waiting to see.
Quote:I agree with the first two posters.

Last year, no matter how far behind the chains we'd get an opposing offense, we could count on them to convert on 3rd and long.

It was an exercise in futility, and, perhaps more than anything else, triggered the negative thoughts of Jaguars fans.

Now, it appears not only our deep coverage but our underneath coverage is upgraded.  I'm excited about the possibilities.

Ramsey, Jack, Telvin Smith, and Colvin when he returns all have the ability to be effective blitzers.  I can imagine all or most of them lined up on the LOS showing blitz.

If Ramsey and Jack show the kind of coverage we think they can and are playing man, a QB looking to beat the blitz will almost have to surrender two hot reads off the bat to have an effective play.  If we can take Jared Cook and Jordy Nelson out of the game due to tight coverage, I like our chances with the rest of the secondary against the other guys.

Yup... all we have to do now is wait and see if we do have 'legit' coverage or if our highly vaunted new acquisitions are really just 'show and no go'. Let's hope their the 'real teal deal'.
Quote:I agree with the first two posters.

That why Dave is a good GM. Don't over think it, just get players that can improve your deficiencies. This entire draft was dedicated entirely to doing that. I have no doubt our 3rd down defense will be tremendously improved.
Quote:Just sorting out the new defensive line is a challenge, especially considering 4-3 teams generally only keep 9 or 10 DLs. We very well may end up keeping an 11th DL. With Ngakoue likely entrenched as their 2nd LEO, we can start to get an idea of the 1a and 1b rotating D-lines that Caldwell has mentioned...

1a: DE Odrick, NT Miller, DT Jackson, LEO Fowler

1b: DE Jackson, NT Jones, DT Marks, LEO Ngakoue

Jackson is getting paid for double duty.

This leaves probably 3 to 4 spots with the remaining players to sort out...

• DE Ryan Davis - Forced out of necessity into the LEO spot as of late, Davis can now focus on his natural ability to rush from all over the DL.
  • DE/DT Tyson Alualu - While some marvel at his ability to set the edge, others wonders why this is the only thing he can do after years since being drafted early in the first round by Gene Smith just ahead of several perennial pro bowlers. This past year they let him rush from the 3-tech and the outside edge on the strong side, and yet he still rarely got near the qb. He proved to be a rather massive FB in short-yardage which is one of few threads still attaching him to this roster.
  • DT Michael Bennett - While he hasn't yet had a breakout moment as a player, he generally holds his own as a 3-tech DT especially vs the run.
  • DE Chris Smith - Showed quite a bit of pass rushing potential despite only 2 sacks in each of the past two seasons, but he never was an ideal fit at LEO. Chris probably moves to the strongside DE spot where he needs to make more of a name for himself.
  • DT Richard Ash - I was surprised to see him make the PS last year after witnessing him getting blown up in the Preseason by scrubs, but Caldwell seems to see something in him as a 3-tech DT.
  • DE Quanterus Smith - The Jaguars are kicking the tires on his once promising DE who after a few years of battling injuries has yet to actually post a sack in the NFL.
  • DE Jonathan Woodard - picked in seventh round Saturday night, Woodard is an intimidating pass rusher with the ability and moves to rush the passer from anywhere along the DL possibly including the LEO spot. I expect him to compete with Chris Smith and Alualu for a strongside backup DE spot.
  • DT Sheldon Day - Selected early in round four, Day is an interior pass rushing machine who can also rush from the strong end. Likely to initially work out as a 3-tech competing with Ryan Davis and Michael Bennett. ...and possibly Alualu if they keep him at DT.
  • DE Tyrone Holmes - The sixth round pick most likely the team's much needed 3rd LEO who some say is the a hidden gem as one of the draft's best pure edge rushers.
depth.
Ryan O wrote a good article on who will be on the field on base down packages and 3rd down packages.
I have a good feeling about Holmes. He has the size to play a strict pass rush end or OLB and great speed and strength combo. May need a year or so to put it together but if we have the skill on the field like we do on paper, he may be in a great spot to learn and then contribute later.
Remember Fowler can also stand up as a rusher and blitz from all over, he doesnt always have be on the edge 

Jack and Ramsey are also solid rushers in certain situations 

I think the interior pass rush is going to be pretty impressive. Jackson and now Day, added to Marks? We will pressure the QB this season. Double team Jackson, they'll get you from the edge. Ok, maybe I'm excited, but this front 7 is so improved (on paper anyway) we may really have a magical season!

*i make no apologies for my enthusiasm*
Quote:3rd Down DE Ngakoue DT Jackson DT Marks DE Fowler

That's what I'm waiting to see.

Sheldon Day may end up taking Marks' spot, depending on Marks' health and Day's development.  They sure seem to be adding guys who can play the 3-technique.  But it's an important piece of the defense.  They do seem to value interior push just as much as pressure from the edge. 

As for the 3 DEs we just drafted, I look at it as insurance.  Pass rushers are traditionally boom-or-bust type players, and some of the most promising ones don't pan out in the pros.  I don't mind using multiple draft picks for this type of player - good edge rushers are hard to find in any round, and you can never have too many of them.  If one of the DEs taken this weekend is a 8-10 sack type player, it's a win.  If the other 2 are busts, still a win.  

We're also looking at a scenario I wrote about a few months ago when I felt offering Branch a modest contract might be wise.  We now head into the season with 4 rookies (I am including Fowler) getting the most snaps at DE.  I don't see Chris Smith taking reps from the rookies and Ryan Davis typically plays inside on passing downs. 
Can't figure how to embed this...

http://www.si.com/nfl/video/2015/04/28/d...nfl-draft#

Fixed. Link. Not sure why it was not working for others. Likely mobile vs desktop.

It didn't work whatever it was.

To continue my thought...it normally takes a while for rookie DE's to have success at the NFL level.  The moves that worked so well in college are not working against NFL OT's.  And the Jags face good QBs early.  Gotta hope one or more of those players is ready to bust out early and create some pressure.

Quote:Obvious: Odrick,Miller,Jackson,Fowler,Jones,Marks Ngakoue, Day

My picks: Davis,can be the 3rd Leo or the 3rd big end or even the 3rd 3T

Alualu,not going to be a popular pick but from the list he's the best back up DT we have and can also play the big end. It will be a battle between Bennett and Alualu

Wildcard:Heard Holmes might be an otto so he might have a shot there. Woodard/Smith seem as if they will be PS guys unless injuries occur
Literally everyone who actually knows about Holmes loves the guy and thinks the Jags got an absolute steal of a pass rusher in the 6th. I'm thinking he has a better chance than a lot of those guys to make the roster.
Somebody on reddit posted an analytic regarding pass rushers.  The 2 measurables were based on a 9'9" long jump and a 7.20 on the 3-cone drill.

Players who equaled or beat both those measurables had an average of 50 sacks in their first contract (4 years).  Players with only one of the measurables averaged about 12 sacks in 4 years, and players who met neither measurable averaged 10 sacks in 4 years.  He posted a list of 2016 draftees in each of the 3 categories.  Yannick had a 9'10" long jump but had a 7.35 on the cone drill, so he was 1/1.  Holmes and Woodard were not listed in the Combine results, so I guess they didn't get invited. 

Pages: 1 2 3