Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: The Biggest Broken Promise in Political History
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-ca...le/2618413

This is a pretty savage indictment of the process the Republicans just went through, from a conservative publication.

"There was a big debate over the course of the election about how out of step Trump was with the Republican Party on many issues. But if anything, this episode shows that Trump and the GOP are perfect together — limited in attention span, all about big talk and identity politics, but uninterested in substance.

"Failing to get the votes on one particular bill is one thing. But failing and then walking away on seven years of promises is a pathetic abdication of duty. The Republican Party is a party without a purpose."

Quote:http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/gop-ca...le/2618413

This is a pretty savage indictment of the process the Republicans just went through, from a conservative publication.

"There was a big debate over the course of the election about how out of step Trump was with the Republican Party on many issues. But if anything, this episode shows that Trump and the GOP are perfect together — limited in attention span, all about big talk and identity politics, but uninterested in substance.

"Failing to get the votes on one particular bill is one thing. But failing and then walking away on seven years of promises is a pathetic abdication of duty. The Republican Party is a party without a purpose."

That's true of the Pub DC establishment. If you look at the state and local Pub party it's very "purpose"ful. No surprise that a DC paper would view the party through DC goggles.

Ryan had a chance to put forth a clean repeal bill, but didn't. He betrayed the trust of the voters. But he has been doing that since he became Speaker, and Boehner before him. There's a reason that Trump won out over a slew of experienced politicians.

The Republican Establishment has one purpose, to stay in Washington as long as possible.

Quote:That's true of the Pub DC establishment. If you look at the state and local Pub party it's very "purpose"ful. No surprise that a DC paper would view the party through DC goggles.

Ryan had a chance to put forth a clean repeal bill, but didn't. He betrayed the trust of the voters. But he has been doing that since he became Speaker, and Boehner before him. There's a reason that Trump won out over a slew of experienced politicians.

Ryan's "voters" are the Republican members of the House. And I think he has a much better idea as to their (the majority) wishes than you do.

Yeah, he could bow to the Tea Party (Freedom Caucus), which is about 25% of the Party. Then no legislation would get passed. That's what the Democrats are counting on.

This is what happens when your candidate wins with slogans rather than ideas. And if Donald thought health care was complicated just wait until he begins to tackles the tax code.

The Republicans have to decide if they want to pass legislation or just continue to placate the yahoos with slogans and bluster.

How could anyone expect anything else from a Trump presidency? He made his entire fortune based on empty promises and lies. 

He is like 60 days into his term. I would expect that he will revisit the issue. I think his mistake was getting in with that slimeball Paul Ryan. He should have listened to Rand Paul and guided this bill to a good place. 
I think it  will get done eventually. we just have to make them pay at the voting booth in a couple of years . time for some new blood
To get their votes is important. To care what they think, not so much.

They're not worried about anything except their next re-election. They didn't vote for Trump because he's like the rest of them.

All of those who didn't state whether they had health insurance are going to be sad now. Individual mandate is still law. I smell an audit in their future.
Quote:All of those who didn't state whether they had health insurance are going to be sad now. Individual mandate is still law. I smell an audit in their future.
I'm hoping fellow liberty lovers will just do like me. We have health insurance but don't answer the question because my healthcare is none of the IRS' buisness. Good luck track everyone down to see if they bought it. ha
Just over 60 days in, and to think a 27000 cluster - [BLEEP] bill could be  straightened out is a pipe dream. It will be done.

As usual, the par for the course liberals are flailing about trying to find something, anything, to complain about.

Undoing the damage to this country from the past 8 years will take some time. It will be done though.

I know it's a concept that the run of the mill liberal just couldn't understand.

that bill was rushed by ryan to try and beat Rand Paul to releasing his.  Pauls version will be the one that gets passed.

Quote:Just over 60 days in, and to think a 27000 cluster - [BAD WORD REMOVED] bill could be  straightened out is a pipe dream. It will be done.

As usual, the par for the course liberals are flailing about trying to find something, anything, to complain about.

Undoing the damage to this country from the past 8 years will take some time. It will be done though.

I know it's a concept that the run of the mill liberal just couldn't understand.

It was the hard conservative wing of the Republican Party that shot down their own bill. You go on belly aching about liberals?

Finding anything to complain about? That's exactly what you're doing.

Light one up. Have a drink. Before your head explodes.
Quote:He is like 60 days into his term. I would expect that he will revisit the issue. I think his mistake was getting in with that slimeball Paul Ryan. He should have listened to Rand Paul and guided this bill to a good place. 

The problem is that Trump doesn't respect Rand Paul at all. He views him as some peon. Paul is a 100x more informed and intelligent on political matters than Trump and he knows it. Trump doesn't want to be outdone by someone he views as insignificant. 
Quote:The problem is that Trump doesn't respect Rand Paul at all. He views him as some peon. Paul is a 100x more informed and intelligent on political matters than Trump and he knows it. Trump doesn't want to be outdone by someone he views as insignificant. 
It hurts me to hear that but I know you are right. It's heartbreaking really, if Trump is as conservative as he keeps telling us, Rand Paul should be his best friend in the Senate. The sooner he realizes that the Paul Ryan wing of the party is not his friend, the better off he will be. 
Quote:It hurts me to hear that but I know you are right. It's heartbreaking really, if Trump is as conservative as he keeps telling us, Rand Paul should be his best friend in the Senate. The sooner he realizes that the Paul Ryan wing of the party is not his friend, the better off he will be. 

Pretty sure he has realized this already and wanted Paul Ryan to hang himself, which he did by presenting that awful bill.  I think Rand and Trump are a lot tighter than you think.
Quote:He is like 60 days into his term. I would expect that he will revisit the issue. I think his mistake was getting in with that slimeball Paul Ryan. He should have listened to Rand Paul and guided this bill to a good place. 

No, it wasn't Trump's mistake, it was the voters' mistake.  When you elect a non-politician to a political office that demands real political skill, that is a huge mistake.   We elected a person who is not interested in politics or policy.   It's like saying "I'm tired of doctors; the next time I need an operation, I'm going to let my next door neighbor do it."  Or, "I'm sick of lawyers.  Next time I'm in court, I'm going to represent myself." 

The Presidency is a political office.   To run it effectively, you need to be a politician.  

He didn't know enough about the health care bill to sell it.   He isn't skilled enough at politics to round up a majority.   He's incompetent. 

Whatever you want to say about Obama, at least he took the time and effort and had the political skill to get his health care program through congress.   Trump?   He took a couple of weeks, didn't know any of the details in the bill, didn't get any important interest groups on board, in therefore, he failed.  

It's incompetence leading to failure.  
As long as the party is fractured with a divided group that " wouldn't pass the 10 commandments" , the going is going to be tough.

It's hilarious, no, pathetic, that some blame the Dems in this case. Like the guy whose car engine is making noises,and remedies it by placing black tape over the check engine light. Then...blaming the manufacturer of another brand for sabotage.
Quote:No, it wasn't Trump's mistake, it was the voters' mistake. When you elect a non-politician to a political office that demands real political skill, that is a huge mistake. We elected a person who is not interested in politics or policy. It's like saying "I'm tired of doctors; the next time I need an operation, I'm going to let my next door neighbor do it." Or, "I'm sick of lawyers. Next time I'm in court, I'm going to represent myself."

The Presidency is a political office. To run it effectively, you need to be a politician.

He didn't know enough about the health care bill to sell it. He isn't skilled enough at politics to round up a majority. He's incompetent.

Whatever you want to say about Obama, at least he took the time and effort and had the political skill to get his health care program through congress. Trump? He took a couple of weeks, didn't know any of the details in the bill, didn't get any important interest groups on board, in therefore, he failed.

It's incompetence leading to failure.

Wrong. It wasn't the voters fault for the Trump election. You can blame the democrats for putting up such a horrible candidate for Trump to run against.
Quote:Wrong. It wasn't the voters fault for the Trump election. You can blame the democrats for putting up such a horrible candidate for Trump to run against.

I won't argue that. Not just the candidate but the campaign itself.

Question on the other side is...was Trump the best option from that long list of candidates? Can the same argument be made that the Republicans didn't put forth a viable candidate either?

So we ended up the two pieces of [BLEEP] for an option?

It was bad enough in Florida that there were more write in names than the margin in which Trump beat Clinton.

Like smelling sewer or a dead skunk. Choices.
Pages: 1 2