Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: ESPN writers see the Jaguars as a 3-13 team in 2016
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
It's always interesting to see not only how those familiar with the team, like Dirocco and Prisco, but also those that aren't particularly familiar with the team feel about the upcoming Jaguars season.

Going by the predictions on ESPN's NFL nation blogs where each team's writer predicts wins and losses for their team on the season only three opponents see the Jaguars as getting a win against the team they write for. Kuharsky, who covers the titans thinks the Jaguars will split with a team that earned the #1 draft slot, Jeff Legwold, who covers the broncos, thinks the Jaguars will be a classic sneak up and steal a win trap game, and Paul Gutierrez, who covers the raiders thinks the Jaguars can win against the Raiders, probably because the two teams pay some attention to each other due to both having ascending young QBs from the same draft.

The sad thing is they're probably not far off in their beliefs. Sure the Jaguars will probably win more than 3 games, because it's hard to lose 13 times in the NFL if you're even close to competent and trying just because of the way the season can play out when it comes to opponent injuries and such, but the Jaguars are still seen as a bunch of clowns with an ice cream scooping sprinkles slinging head coach when it comes down to it.

If the defense is improved like it should be, an idiot could go 8-8 to 9-7 with this team. Especially with that schedule.

raweyejag

IMO Jags will be better regardless of Gus. How much, we need to wait until season starts. Jags added 6 legitimate proven NFL starters by FA. Jags previous starters continued to make too many basic football mistakes through every game last year. Missed blocks, missed tackles, costly turnovers, inexcusable penalties, missed assignments etc. In order to be above average team in NFL those have to be diminished regardless who coach is. Not a Gus lover but at this level players have to play like professionals not making muliple game changing basic mistakes every week.
Quote:If the defense is improved like it should be, an idiot could go 8-8 to 9-7 with this team. Especially with that schedule.
You mean the schedule where we face the best QBs or best defenses in the league all year? And are on the road for whole months at a time?

Quote:If the defense is improved like it should be, an idiot could go 8-8 to 9-7 with this team. Especially with that schedule.

Maybe he will.

I would rather the media talk negtiave about the Jags. That makes me feel better,and gives me hope. Before the  the release of our season this year a lot of nfl anylasts were saying we would win our division. When that happens it ussalley spells doom for a team. Being treated like nobody,and a laughing stock of a team a team can surpise other teams that way.  Postive talk from nfl anylasts= doom for the team.  Negtiave talk= hope. 
Quote:It's always interesting to see not only how those familiar with the team, like Dirocco and Prisco, but also those that aren't particularly familiar with the team feel about the upcoming Jaguars season.

Going by the predictions on ESPN's NFL nation blogs where each team's writer predicts wins and losses for their team on the season only three opponents see the Jaguars as getting a win against the team they write for. Kuharsky, who covers the titans thinks the Jaguars will split with a team that earned the #1 draft slot, Jeff Legwold, who covers the broncos, thinks the Jaguars will be a classic sneak up and steal a win trap game, and Paul Gutierrez, who covers the raiders thinks the Jaguars can win against the Raiders, probably because the two teams pay some attention to each other due to both having ascending young QBs from the same draft.

The sad thing is they're probably not far off in their beliefs. Sure the Jaguars will probably win more than 3 games, because it's hard to lose 13 times in the NFL if you're even close to competent and trying just because of the way the season can play out when it comes to opponent injuries and such, but the Jaguars are still seen as a bunch of clowns with an ice cream scooping sprinkles slinging head coach when it comes down to it.

My experience is that national writer's opinions usually ride a year or two behind reality.  That is to say, once the team starts winning you'll see a lot of writers claiming that they picked the Jags to turn it around (even if they didn't).  Expect ESPN to be no different.  It's the nature of the sports media to never admit they were wrong (exhibit A: Pete Prisco).  

On the other hand some are expecting that Jags to take the next step, so some people are clearly paying attention.  The great thing is, we'll know how it turns out in a few months!

Quote:My experience is that national writer's opinions usually ride a year or two behind reality.  That is to say, once the team starts winning you'll see a lot of writers claiming that they picked the Jags to turn it around (even if they didn't).
What I see a lot of is the "Here's 5 teams I expect to turn it around this season" article. Then one or may be even two of those actually have a winning season and the writer proclaims he was right about his preseason judgement despite only hitting on 1 of his 5 guesses. 
Quote:My experience is that national writer's opinions usually ride a year or two behind reality.  That is to say, once the team starts winning you'll see a lot of writers claiming that they picked the Jags to turn it around (even if they didn't).  Expect ESPN to be no different.  It's the nature of the sports media to never admit they were wrong (exhibit A: Pete Prisco).  

On the other hand some are expecting that Jags to take the next step, so some people are clearly paying attention.  The great thing is, we'll know how it turns out in a few months!

I think what it really means is that everyone thinks the Jaguars could improve, but realistically still see them as a doormat until they show sprinkles can win a game that isn't on Thursday.

As an aside the Thursday night record is really very interesting. Games on Thursday night are infamous for their sloppy play and poor preparation. I think Gus has such a good record on Thursday nights because the Jaguars are actually a very talented team with terrible preparation and planning. On Thursday night games the other team has terrible gameplanning and preparation as well allowing the Jaguars to simply win thanks to being the more talented team. (than the titans the last two years and the texans in 2013)
Ho hum
Welp, when we start winning on a continual basis, and win games that we are "suppose" to win, then some teams might be intimidated. Until then, I would expect outsiders to expect us to lose.

However, I think we are being underestimated this year (which is fine...will be nice to take everyone by surprise). This team has to be better than last year. FA and the draft will put this team in a better position to win more than 3 games.

3 games?...3 games? Don't talk about "3 games"...
I just don't understand how stupid these ESPN writers can get. Last year we were 5-11 without our 1st round pick, injured Linder, injured Marks, no FS, no pass rush...etc We had a lot of injured last year. If they just watch the games they would be able to see how much of a difference Gipson, Ivory, Jackson, Prince will make. Not to mention Fowler, Marks, and Linder will be healthy and the draft coming up. How could they possibly see us winning 2 less games than last year? That just shows you how much they pay attention to our team and rest of the losing/small market teams. 

The Jags have to make a lotta noise, gotta make the talking heads pay attention.
I wish that were the Vegas line. I'd bet the house on over.
I feel like the mere generation and vitriolic participation in this thread kinda shows the Internet in a nutshell.
Quote:I feel like the mere generation and vitriolic participation in this thread kinda shows the Internet in a nutshell.

You have feelings?
It's the homer effect with these writers.  I'm sure Oehser thinks we're going to beat a few teams we shouldn't and won't.  The only way we go 3-13 is if something goes catastrophically wrong with injuries.

Even Vegas disagrees.
I'll bet the over on 3 and 13.
Quote:I think what it really means is that everyone thinks the Jaguars could improve, but realistically still see them as a doormat until they show sprinkles can win a game that isn't on Thursday.

As an aside the Thursday night record is really very interesting. Games on Thursday night are infamous for their sloppy play and poor preparation. I think Gus has such a good record on Thursday nights because the Jaguars are actually a very talented team with terrible preparation and planning. On Thursday night games the other team has terrible gameplanning and preparation as well allowing the Jaguars to simply win thanks to being the more talented team. (than the titans the last two years and the texans in 2013)

You know... there might be something to this.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6