Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Jason Myers Appreciation Thread
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
We should appreciate what Jason did last year and his contribution to the franchise.

If he hadn't cost us two games, we'd have had 7 wins and be tied for 16th in the draft order. If you think about it, this was a good year for him to do this as our young talent/QB are growing, last year's FA class has been assimilated into the team and this year's FA added a bunch of starters.

Now we grab a stud at pick 5 in the first round and likely another early in the second round (probably a defensive guy who would be a 1st rounder in most drafts, this one being so deep in defensive talent).

Of course, we then draft early in each of the subsequent rounds and have an extra in the 6th because we traded Jason's predecessor.

Go to Fanspeak, select the Colts or Falcons (both 7 win teams) and see the chopped liver you're getting by the 3rd round.

Thank you, Jason.

Thanks Jason, wouldn't be in a position to pick Myles Jack without you.

I wrote alot of reactionary garbage throughout the season (big surprise) about Meyers inability to hit PATs, but looking back at the season I think the guy should be our kicker going forward. On regular FG attempts, the guy was pretty damn good and is accurate from long range. Plus he nailed some pretty clutch kicks against Miami and Baltimore. I'd say give him this year at least and see if he can get over his extra point yips and keep up his solid FG kicking.
Quote:I wrote alot of reactionary garbage throughout the season (big surprise) about Meyers inability to hit PATs, but looking back at the season I think the guy should be our kicker going forward. On regular FG attempts, the guy was pretty damn good and is accurate from long range. Plus he nailed some pretty clutch kicks against Miami and Baltimore. I'd say give him this year at least and see if he can get over his extra point yips and keep up his solid FG kicking.

I remember the one home game where everyone was cheering louder for his extra points than the touchdowns!  I think he could be an alright kicker.  He certainly has the leg.
Quote:If he hadn't cost us two games, we'd have had 7 wins and be tied for 16th in the draft order.
"Thank you for sucking."

Classic Jaguars.
A Jason Myers appreciation thread. 

[Image: 982aebe2d39aaf5c291f64f526166066.jpg]

Outside of the PATs, he wasn't bad... Especially as a rookie kicker. I expect they will bring in an undrafted guy to compete with him, but it's pretty likely that Myers will be our kicker next year.
Quote:"Thank you for sucking."

Classic Jaguars.

Gawd, sometimes we are so pathetic as a fan base. This is what chronic losing does to critical thinking.
Jason who....? That guy that can't kick a PAT.... Send him packing... he was terrible and deserves no second shot.

Why stop at Jason Myers.

Gene Smith may have set us up for the next 20+ years with the addition of Bortles & Caldwell and the termination of his #1 fan (Alfie) from this message board.   Heck, he may even directly responsible for Wayne Weaver getting out of this business so I guess we can thank Gene for the swimming pools, amphitheater, and the revitalization of Jacksonville too.

...no...just no.

Jason Myers is supposed to be able to do more than just kick PAT's (which he also missed too many of). Games are often decided by the close margin of a last second field goal and Myers proved himself to be unreliable at this crucial kicking skill. In at least two games last season Myers was directly responsible for failing to secure what should have been victories.

So I say no to Myers; he showed us his skill set and unlike a rookie quarterback he should've been 'good to go' out of the gate. Who's to say he won't choke and do the same exact thing this season he did last season? I suggest bringing in some competition and let the chips fall. A strong leg is only part of the equation for a good kicker.

Josh Scobee 2004 (Rookie Season): 24-31 FG 77.4% Long 53 ; Jason Myers 2015: 26-30 FG 86.6% Long 58 ; Give the kid a chance. He will get competition in camp, but I expect he will be our kicker next year.

Quote:I remember the one home game where everyone was cheering louder for his extra points than the touchdowns! I think he could be an alright kicker. He certainly has the leg.
Definitely does. Its all mental for him. That Baltimore game was huge for his confidence. I think he'll be fine next year.
I was going to write a similar thread about Gene Smith.  Saying if Gene hadn't been so bad at drafts, the Jags wouldn't have all this cap room now. 

Quote:I was going to write a similar thread about Gene Smith.  Saying if Gene hadn't been so bad at drafts, the Jags wouldn't have all this cap room now. 

Plus staying up past 9pm Day 1 of the Thursday Night Draft is way overrated.
Quote:Josh Scobee 2004 (Rookie Season): 24-31 FG 77.4% Long 53 ; Jason Myers 2015: 26-30 FG 86.6% Long 58 ; Give the kid a chance. He will get competition in camp, but I expect he will be our kicker next year.

Thanks for this.

I always thought for a rookie filling Scobees shoes he did pretty well.

He did pick some pretty awful times to miss though.....but that's football.

Weren't there some misses in the playoffs by seasoned kickers?

So don't judge him too harsh.....bet he's a machine in 2016.
So does that mean we should be mad at the refs in the ravens game?

The thing is, most people are down on him because of PAT's.  There were far more missed after the rule changed last season.  PAT's are no longer a "given".

[Image: cf-dafuq.gif]

Quote:I remember the one home game where everyone was cheering louder for his extra points than the touchdowns!  I think he could be an alright kicker.  He certainly has the leg.
Guilty.  I think I lost my voice that game.
Pages: 1 2 3