Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Leo/Otto is this scheme working?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Gus has changed the name of some common positions to create his on defensive scheme.. The Otto which is typically refered to as the Outside Linebacker or your Sam. And Leo which is basically another way of saying Defensive End...

In a recent interview Gus discuss using Skuta at the Leo position.. So if we paying Oderick all this money and drafted Fowler with our first pick last year, what position are they gonna play?

Quite frankly is Gus scheme working? Im hoping it does this year or it will be the last you hear of this Leo, Otto mess... Just get to the qb!
Scheme is fine.

Talent has been lacking.

This scheme is not some crazy outside the box weird stuff. It's been done before to good success.

We need a flippin' pass rush.

That's it.
Would any scheme work with Clemons and Branch as your edge rushers?
Leo, Otto and Gus.  How I'd love to wave goodbye to all three.

This is football, we need players, not cute nicknames.  Give the opposing QB time to read the sports page and you'll lose, it's that simple. We need an every-down guy who can consistently get to the quarterback.  It doesn't matter what position he comes out of, he just needs to bring the pressure.

I think you need to understand that Odrick is not a Leo, and Fowler isn't and shouldn't be the only Leo on this roster. You might want to understand how the positions work first.
This op is all over the place idk what u dont get lol

Im not gonna lie tho i dont care at all for otto and the emphasis on him being a pass rusher. If its a good LB i could really care less if they can rush.

I've been disappointed with the scheme. The Seahawks have replaced players and have still been quite successful. I thought Bradley was a home run hit at the time. Now I'm on the verge of wanting to see him go. My thought is the only thing that saved his job was firing Babich. You know it took some heat from above to get Gus to be on board with that.

If the Jags win 7 or less games this year he's gone. The difference this time is we are not a total rebuild. We will be young, talented, and ascending. So we may actually better ourselves with a Coaching staff...
We could run a standard 4-3 defense and our "scheme" wouldn't be working.

If you are lacking the talent to execute key aspects of the game, scheme becomes immaterial.

Quote:Would any scheme work with Clemons and Branch as your edge rushers?

Would Clemons and Branch have looked that bad in a scheme more suited to them?

Did the chicken or the egg come first?

Quote:Would Clemons and Branch have looked that bad in a scheme more suited to them?

Yes? I don't know any scheme that would make Branch and a 33 yo Clemons look good.
Quote:Would Clemons and Branch have looked that bad in a scheme more suited to them?

Exactly what other scheme, that simply asks their main pass rusher to win 1 vs 1, would they do better in??

The whole point of this scheme and the Leo, is to get the Leo in constant 1 on 1 chances. People who don't understand this scheme, or the concept of this scheme, can blame this or that. But in reality, Clemons and Branch consistently failed to win 1 vs 1. That's the fact of the matter. Not the scheme and not the name of a certain position.

That's the whole point of them flipping the Leo to the weakside every play. To consistently get a 1 on 1 match up. People really need to stop blaming the scheme, or the name of a position, when it's completely on the player/s who can't get it done.
Quote:Exactly what other scheme, that simply asks their main pass rusher to win 1 vs 1, would they do better in??

The whole point of this scheme and the Leo, is to get the Leo in constant 1 on 1 chances. People who don't understand this scheme, or the concept of this scheme, can blame this or that. But in reality, Clemons and Branch consistently failed to win 1 vs 1. That's the fact of the matter. Not the scheme and not the name of a certain position.

That's the whole point of them flipping the Leo to the weakside every play. To consistently get a 1 on 1 match up. People really need to stop blaming the scheme, or the name of a position, when it's completely on the player/s who can't get it done.

Yeah, if anything our scheme should be an edge rushers dream. If you can't line up in a wide 9 and beat a tackle 1 on 1, then I don't know what to tell you.
The LEO is a pass-rushing end. The OTTO is basically a 3-4 outside linebacker. Fancy names for very basic positions.

OTTO, LEO... i'm tired of it.

You just need to rush the passer. But we also need to cover TEs.

People seems to think that Malik, Gipson, Dante (who has done absolutly nothing in the NFL for now) could be the answers.

Our problems last year was also the lack of coverage from our LBs. Miscommunication, lack of talent, bad scheme...I don't know what was the problem, but you need to fix this too.

This defense was a mess last year. I like our free agents (Malik, Gipson, Prince) but adding big names is just the start of the rebuilding process.

Rushing the passer isn't a scheme its a skill.

You either possess that ability or you don't.

Sure you can "scheme" a few extra rushes that catch the other team off guard, but don't kid yourself. You are facing highly skilled and experienced professionals. They see a scheme they counter it. The bottom line is that you need players that can execute the fundamentals regardless of scheme. We don't have those players.

That is why we struggle rushing the passer.

Lol @ "quite frankly is Gus scheme working?"

I say we change his name to Doh Boy and move on about our day.
Quote:Gus has changed the name of some common positions to create his on defensive scheme.. The Otto which is typically refered to as the Outside Linebacker or your Sam. And Leo which is basically another way of saying Defensive End...

In a recent interview Gus discuss using Skuta at the Leo position.. So if we paying Oderick all this money and drafted Fowler with our first pick last year, what position are they gonna play?

Quite frankly is Gus scheme working? Im hoping it does this year or it will be the last you hear of this Leo, Otto mess... Just get to the qb!

So because you have Fowler and Odrick no one else can play LEO or 5t?

This type of thinking always annoys the hell out of me...

Yes, they would have...I think that's glaringly obvious.
Quote:Gus has changed the name of some common positions to create his on defensive scheme.. The Otto which is typically refered to as the Outside Linebacker or your Sam. And Leo which is basically another way of saying Defensive End...

If I never hear the terms Leo/Otto used again it'll be too soon.

No, the scheme isn't working, because Gus is a typical football coach, he thinks he already has the answer before he finds out what the question is.

I think of a scheme as the answer to the question "What are the things my defensive personnel can do well." Gus doesn't ask the question, he just gives the answer.

In Gus's world 1+1 = 2, but so does 1324325+254235623. Everything equals two in his world, and if it turns out that 1324325+254235623=255559948 then in Gus's world the real problem is that we didn't ask him what 1+1 is, not that he didn't bother to do any thinking about what the problem is.

I will say that Gus isn't particularly alone in his failings, most coaches seem to have his problem, they really really need a great GM that can find guys that will make his question be 1+1, but that really doesn't dismiss Gus's failings, it simply means he's in good company in them.
Pages: 1 2