Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Marks mentality after the Jackson signing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Started thinking about this the other day didn't he sign a four year 20 million deal? I know he has been injured but he had a better year than Jackson the year before last. I wonder if he wishes he had tested free agency. Is malik better than a healthy marks?
Marks understands it's a business like every other player in the league.  When he signed his deal, it was coming off a show me contract and he earned his pay raise.  I'm not sure why you're wondering if he wishes he had tested free agency.  When they extended his deal, he was paid pretty handsomely.  He can't help the fact that the market has just gone crazy in the past couple of years.

Marks in his 2014 form was a beast, I'm not sure who is better...He can't be that scared though.  A team can't have enough pass rushers and even though they both play 3-tech, it's not like we're going to kick him to the curb if he returns back to form.

There's plenty of snaps to go round and Marks already got paid.

I think he's probably happy about what third downs are gonna be like with him and Malik blowing up the middle.
Just looked it up 4 yrs 18 million. I know it would bother me some if I was him. Yea they know it is a business but pffffft it is all about the money right. I am not talking about his playing time. Its like me making 3 bucks an hour and my teammate making 15 bucks an hour to do the same job. We will see.
Any player who is concerned about what another guy is making isn't long for the league. 

Marks has never struck me as a guy who would share your propensity for salary envy.  When he did test free agency, they weren't beating down his doors.  That's why he landed here with a 1 year contract.  He proved his worth, and he got a $22 million contract in return. He signed it.  It's what both sides agreed he was worth. 

This isn't the last contract for Marks

He will be 31 at the end of his deal and has started to rack up the miles my bet is his next contract is not a monster deal. I think you guys are kidding yourselves if you think he is not tripping a little.
The same goes for Odrick who might just find himself on the bench far more often than Marks.

I expect Abry to get a lot more action nearly splitting snaps 50-50 with Roy, so a typical DL line-up might look something like DE M. Jackson, NT A. Jones, DT. S. Marks, LEO D. Fowler  ...then on the next drive you might see DE J. Odrick NT R. Miller DT M. Jackson LEO [insert 2016 first round pick].

Also, Caldwell mentioned Malik playing the 4-tech at times meaning he'd be a DT but on Roy's side. This has me thinking of the three-LEO formation where we'd likely see LEO D. Fowler, DT M. Jackson, LEO Ryan Davis, LEO [insert 2016 first round pick]

I'm missing your point. Are we supposed to feel sorry for him because he's "only" getting paid $18 million?

I guess we are, what's next  on these boards?

Players holding out for more money is always a bad thing.. I don't think we need to worry about this just yet. If the team goes 11-5 next season i could see players in his position starting to feel the pain a little.. it's all on the players though.
Quote:Just looked it up 4 yrs 18 million. I know it would bother me some if I was him. Yea they know it is a business but pffffft it is all about the money right. I am not talking about his playing time. Its like me making 3 bucks an hour and my teammate making 15 bucks an hour to do the same job. We will see.

I agree with you... As a human being if I'm getting paid less then someone who is doing the same thing I'm gonna think about it.. Marks I'm sure is thinking about it but I'm sure he not sweating it.. If he stay healthy and can perform he can get his again..
Quote:Just looked it up 4 yrs 18 million. I know it would bother me some if I was him.
I wish I had this problem.
Look they all make ridiculous money so get over that part. It is the disparity for basically the same guy. It has to be in your head. Who knows maybe it is a motivator.
Who cares? 

Marks was injured almost all of last year. He'll more than likely return to form and create havoc with Malik.

Quote:I guess we are, what's next  on these boards?
Perhaps a Gofundme account for P. Manning. He is currently unemployed. I sure hope he can feed his family.

If Marks is having troubles mentally with the Jackson signing, he's in the wrong business. However, everything I've seen from him, he seems all class. I don't think there's anything to see here.
On the flip side, signing with the Jagaurs greatly benefitted Marks' career. He was seen as a castoff and borderline bust when tenn let him walk.

He might have never seen close to $18m without playing in this specific scheme.
Quote:Started thinking about this the other day didn't he sign a four year 20 million deal? I know he has been injured but he had a better year than Jackson the year before last. I wonder if he wishes he had tested free agency. Is malik better than a healthy marks?

At no point in his career would he have seen the type of contract Jackson got.

His contract was set to expire at the end of the 2013 season when we extended him.  His extension was in line with what the 2014 top DTs got in free agency.  If he had become a FA after the 2014 season, he would have been a DT coming off a late season torn ACL.  If he had been a FA this offseason, he would have had the torn ACL and a torn triceps.

I also highly doubt he's at all concerned or cares about Malik's contract.
Marks doesn't seem like the kind of guy to sit back just because Malik was signed. If anything I'd imagine Marks is chomping at the bit to prove he deserves his snaps.
Pages: 1 2