Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Challenge accepted?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Peyton Manning, speaking of Marvin Harrison said he doesn't think any QB and WR will ever top their 114 TDs together. Looking at our current cap situation it is entirely possible we lock up Blake and both Hurns and Robinson for the bulk of their pro careers. How realistic is it to think Blake may be able to break that record some day with one of the two?
Both Hurns and Robinson will be here for awhile.. barring injuries, I can see them putting up big numbers... lets hope for bortles/robinson 115td's

Let's pump the brakes a bit here because with more offensive balance, Bortles numbers will probably slip a bit.  I'll be happy if Blake cuts his interceptions number in half at this point.  We can talk records 5-10 years from now assuming he stays healthy and at least one of the receivers sticks around.

I'm usually an optimist and like setting lofty goals.  That being said, there is no denying that the Peyton/Harrison combo was one of the best ever.  Looking at it realistically, it's highly doubtful that particular record will be broken any time soon.

The clots hardly had any running back.  So with Yeldon and Ivory healthy no way.  So what he was saying in essence is they had no real running game.  And even in the pass first Nfl of today.  There will not be many teams with an Elite qb a Elite wr and no running game.  While outside of Tenn I have no praise of manning.  And even in Tenn Martin won the Ncaa championship not manning.

Still what he is saying is on point.  Your running game would have to be dismal. And yet a top flight qb and wr.  I don't think that is ever broken. Or if is not in the next 10 years. 

And to put the record straight i started becoming a vols fan after manning already graduated.  So did not see any live games of manning as  vols qb.  Now there is talk the team was set up for martin to win.  However set up or not far as players. Still needed a qb to win games and make plays.  And martin though never transferred to Nfl level.  I seen the guy get drilled and manhandled on plays and yet a play or two later td.  That speaks volumes. 

Quote:Peyton Manning, speaking of Marvin Harrison said he doesn't think any QB and WR will ever top their 114 TDs together. Looking at our current cap situation it is entirely possible we lock up Blake and both Hurns and Robinson for the bulk of their pro careers. How realistic is it to think Blake may be able to break that record some day with one of the two?
I would be perfectly happy if they surpass the number of Super Bowls won by Manning and Harrison, irrespective of whether they eclipse this particular mark.  I would much prefer that to the challenge referenced here.
When you stated the Manning / Harrison connection, I thought the topic would be whether there will ever be a QB/WR combo that ever consisted of a QB that hung his junk in a female trainers face prior to throwing a TD pass to a WR that fought with some dude 10 minutes before that dude was killed by a gunshot wound from the WRs gun.    I don't think that will ever happen again.

Peyton to Harrison is one of the more underrated connections because it rarely gets mentioned when talking about the best ever, but this connection totally belongs in that conversation. It's a lofty record so it's going to take healthy play for a long time to get there, but with that said, records are made to be broken.

You guys all have points.. but i think this is just a conversational question. Why point out what is more important like Superbowl wins etc when the question is for entertainment? That being said with bortles and robinson basically starting their career's together they have a higher chance than normal of playing together and entering their prime together/finishing their careers together than most other qb/wr combo's in the league.. They both are going to be great and with constant rules being changed to add more safety for both of their position Qb's and Wr's should expect even longer careers. With all of that i would say yes to the op.. bortles/robinson have an above average chance at breaking that record =)

Yes, i agree there are more important stats to break, wins being one and Superbowl's being the other. Indy got one of those and not the other.

"When you stated the Manning / Harrison connection, I thought the topic would be whether there will ever be a QB/WR combo that ever consisted of a QB that hung his junk in a female trainers face prior to throwing a TD pass to a WR that fought with some dude 10 minutes before that dude was killed by a gunshot wound from the WRs gun.    I don't think that will ever happen again."

Not a GOAL to strive for.

I'd take more championships over the record any day!
I get the feeling Bortles to ARob will constantly be chasing, or at least racing, Carr to Cooper.

Quote:I get the feeling Bortles to ARob will constantly be chasing, or at least racing, Carr to Cooper.
Yes, good point.. another duo in an above average position to break that record.
More Super Bowls please, that's all I hope they strive for.

If Bortles and ARob are here their entire careers, then they'll break that easily. People forget how young ARob actually is...

Quote:The clots hardly had any running back.  So with Yeldon and Ivory healthy no way.  So what he was saying in essence is they had no real running game.  And even in the pass first Nfl of today.  There will not be many teams with an Elite qb a Elite wr and no running game.  While outside of Tenn I have no praise of manning.  And even in Tenn Martin won the Ncaa championship not manning.

Still what he is saying is on point.  Your running game would have to be dismal. And yet a top flight qb and wr.  I don't think that is ever broken. Or if is not in the next 10 years. 

And to put the record straight i started becoming a vols fan after manning already graduated.  So did not see any live games of manning as  vols qb.  Now there is talk the team was set up for martin to win.  However set up or not far as players. Still needed a qb to win games and make plays.  And martin though never transferred to Nfl level.  I seen the guy get drilled and manhandled on plays and yet a play or two later td.  That speaks volumes.

Totally. When you have some chump named Edgerrin James running the ball for you, it really artificially inflates your passing offense.
If Robinson and Bortles average 9 TD's a year it'll take them another eleven years to surpass Manning and Harrison. I don't see it happening.

Hmm... I see different sources with 112, 114, and 118.

Manning would be the type to kick it forward when no one is looking.

Few teams are so lopsided with the pass, and so dependent on one WR today for anyone to make a dent.

Brady and Gronk will get to about 100 I'd say.
Pages: 1 2