Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Do you expect Bortles to take it up a notch again?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
What do you think we will see from 2016 Bortles? Better mechanics, more audibles? Or at least what do you want to see?

Does he take it to another level?
Just cut down on the turnovers and I'm cool.
Well, yeah. I think that's the next level. I'd be cool with that. I'm just wanting to gauge where everyone thinks Bortles to be next year
He needs to chill wth the INT's. Hopefully he can improve.

Quote:He needs to chill wth the INT's. He acknowledges his INT problems after every game, but continues to throw them. Hopefully he can improve.
He won't have as many TDs or yards because the defense and running game should be better.  But a better comp % and less ints would be improvement.

I say less TDs or even.

More yards.

A few less INTs and with a better command of the offense from not only him but AR15, Hurns, Thomas, Yeldon etc.  I expect less sacks with Linder returning and Cann getting into year 2.
He can sling the ball as well as anyone. All he has to do is cut down the turnovers
He absolutely still has to fix his mechanics
Yeah he will. If he could limit those INT's in half, he'd be a top 5 QB next season.

why not? hopefully he won't be forced to do as much and feel like he has to keep up with the other teams O cuz are d was so bad

Quote:He needs to chill wth the INT's. Hopefully he can improve.

I agree that I'd like to see less bad interceptions but in general I think he had a 2:1 TD to interception ratio and that's totally fine.
Quote:He needs to chill wth the INT's. Hopefully he can improve.

Better running game and better defense means he will not be desperately trying to rally the team to victory by making desperate throws.   Probably that means fewer pick-6s.  

Plus, one more offseason to get Bortles and the receivers on the same page.  Often, a QB throws an interception, and the fault lies with the receiver for crossing up the QB.  It's not a simple as "running the wrong route," there are sight adjustments on the fly after the ball is snapped, and the WRs often adjust their routes depending on what the defenders are doing.   Another offseason will yield benefits in terms of building chemistry and getting on the same page. 
Its less about INT's and more about not throwing "Terrible INTS". For instance, Not throwing one in the readzone or on your side of the field. A 3rd and 10 throw at midfield for an INT is just simply a punt and worth the risky throw to make something happen. Bortles seemed to have badly timed INTs last couple years.

I'd also like to see him manipulate defenses more. This is something that requires a sickening amount of tape time and few QB's actually achieve. If he takes a step with these two, He'll be a top 5 QB. I fully expect a much better run game to help take some pressure off and let him manage a bit more instead of trying to be a hero every snap. 
He still needs to get a lot more efficient. Like whoever it was said, lower stats across the board because our defense and running game are better, but significantly higher efficiency is the goal. 

ANY/A is probably the best stat to judge a QB off of, and Bortles is still quite low there. That needs to improve. 

He said himself completion percentage and ints need to be better. And completion percentage will directly help ints.

I expect him to be up over 60% and less ints. Probably less tds too just due to a better run game.

Also notice that last year when he started getting his % up, his int rate dropped.
Improvement for Bortles won't make much of a difference if opposing quarterbacks have the equivalent of a movie run time to do what they want after the snap.
He's seen more, he will have spent more time in the film room. I expect the cerebral part of his game to step up a notch. A lot of the dumb interceptions he threw last season were because he thought he had read the defense correctly, but they were in fact baiting him into a throw. Expect less of that this season
Last season was great. It showed the league that Bortles can and will make all the throws. If we can improve the ruin game he won't have to throw, which will make him even more dangerous.
No reason to think Bortles won't make progress. 

He will likely get a bit better at:

- reading defenses

- checking in/out of plays (particularly runs vs a stacked box)

- eliminating some of the mental errors/stupid mistakes

- improved timing/accuracy with JT and Lee 

Pages: 1 2 3 4