Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: Coughlin Culture
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Bucky Brooks did a nice little write-up at NFL.com on his former coach and his impact on the culture around EverBank Field.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...le-jaguars

Quote:"Things are definitely a little tighter than before [under Gus Bradley]," a Jaguars<span style="color:rgb(34,34,33);font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;"> official told me. "There's more discipline and detail. From top to bottom, everyone has clear understanding of the expectations. There's a level of accountability that was missing in the locker room. We needed to fix that to reach our potential."</span>

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);"> 

<p style="font-family:arial, verdana, helvetica;color:rgb(34,34,33);">Say what you want about his methods, but Coughlin's résumé speaks volumes. He led the expansion Jaguars to a pair of AFC Championship Games during his first stint with the team (1995-2002) and hoisted a pair of Lombardi Trophies as the leader of the New York Giants. When it comes time to recruiting players, particularly in free agency, I've found that some guys will chase the money -- but the majority of players want to win. Considering Coughlin's winning pedigree, it's not a coincidence that a handful of big-name free agents made Jacksonville their destination.

I wonder if sometimes bad egg players do not come to teams led by guys like Coughlin cause they know he will ride them all year. If TC was here two years ago, do you think Julius would want any part of being here once he knew he wasn't going to be taking a paid vacation for 2 years? coughcough aaron ross. 

He has beaten bellicheat. Thats enough for me to believe in him
Quote:He has beaten bellicheat (twice). Thats enough for me to believe in him

Fixed it for you

Quote:I wonder if sometimes bad egg players do not come to teams led by guys like Coughlin cause they know he will ride them all year. If TC was here two years ago, do you think Julius would want any part of being here once he knew he wasn't going to be taking a paid vacation for 2 years? coughcough aaron ross.

I think Thomas' attitude was facilitated by the coaches not installing discipline, but I don't think he came here because of it. Thoams had his best season with Manning who is notoriously demanding of his teammates. If the coaching staff had had the same attitude, Thomas would probably never have started becoming as lazy as he did.
Quote:Fixed it for you

Twice in the big game!!
Quote:I think Thomas' attitude was facilitated by the coaches not installing discipline, but I don't think he came here because of it. Thomas had his best season with Manning who is notoriously demanding of his teammates. If the coaching staff had had the same attitude, Thomas would probably never have started becoming as lazy as he did.

I agree 100%

If you show up to work every day at 10am and your boss is telling you that you're doing a great job, is there really any incentive to show up at 9am?
Only matters if it translates to the field (I think it will).

[Image: walkingtall.jpg]
The problem with "just get better every day" is that it implies there will always be another day to "get better".  No matter how bad you screw up, there's always tomorrow.

Much better is Coughlin's method of starting out with high standards and high expectations. 

Quote:The problem with "just get better every day" is that it implies there will always be another day to "get better".  No matter how bad you screw up, there's always tomorrow.

Much better is Coughlin's method of starting out with high standards and high expectations. 

... and also making an example of those who don't meet those standards by cutting them, like Damon Gibson, after he botched a return.  
Quote:The problem with "just get better every day" is that it implies there will always be another day to "get better".  No matter how bad you screw up, there's always tomorrow.

Also, the concept of getting better every day implies the team is getting better every day.   That simply did not happen as it became evident when we were down 35-0 vs the Chargers and 27-0 vs the Titans. Then, in typical Jag fashion, we beat the Colts in a meaningless Week 17 game that people will point to with optimism for the upcoming year.
No doubt in Coughlins ability to instill discipline and have building a culture here. My questions are A) Can Marrone get the team to buy into HIM as a head coach , B) Can Wash and Hackett make the most of the assets we have and C) How will Coughlin cope when we hit a rough patch, can he keep a necessary distance from being hands on with this team?
Quote:Also, the concept of getting better every day implies the team is getting better every day.   That simply did not happen as it became evident when we were down 35-0 vs the Chargers and 27-0 vs the Titans. Then, in typical Jag fashion, we beat the Colts in a meaningless Week 17 game that people will point to with optimism for the upcoming year.

We lost to the Colts week 17, but we beat the brakes off the Titans week 16 to keep them out of the playoffs and it was glorious.

I get your point though.
Not to derail the intent of NYC.

But I'm left to wonder what role Marrone would play in changing the culture, and ultimately, the fortunes of this team.

I'm as guilty of focusing on Coughlin's influence as much as anyone, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.

But Marrone IS the Head coach here.

Seems sorta odd he gets all the attention here.

Quote:Not to derail the intent of NYC.

But I'm left to wonder what role Marrone would play in changing the culture, and ultimately, the fortunes of this team.

I'm as guilty of focusing on Coughlin's influence as much as anyone, so I'm not pointing fingers at anyone.

But Marrone IS the Head coach here.

Seems sorta odd he gets all the attention here.
Coughlin will inherently get the majority of the attention off of his name and status either way, but marrones presence cant be felt until offseason team work actually begins.
In Calais Campbell's case, it had nothing to do with Coughlin whatsoever.  The money fell at his feet, and he liked his role in our scheme.

The changes Coughlin is making has more to do with how the FO and the coaches are doing business than what's happening in the locker room.

Sure, it's trickle down for sure.  But Coughlin is the guy cleaning up the guys who are cleaning up the product on the field.  He's working at a higher level now.  I'm more enthused by that than anything he could do in the locker room.  That's where the real sustainable change is going to be made.

He's now overlooking the shopping habits and the cooking methods, rather than making the meals himself.  That's a good thing.

Quote:Not to derail the intent of NYC.

I think he'll be even more influential when the rubber meets the road as he'll be the one interfacing with these players the most. 
Quote:In Calais Campbell's case, it had nothing to do with Coughlin whatsoever.  

Campbell flatly cited Coughlin as one of the main reasons he chose the Jags, but... maybe it was all about the money. 

I feel like there was some sincerity in his comments. 
For me, personally, the benefit of having Coughlin in charge of "everything football" is that we know that everyone is going to work as hard as they can, and we know that there is a experienced, accomplished person with no attachment to any player or anything else, who will have an unbiased view of everything.  

Maybe we are already working as hard as we can, maybe we are already running everything the right way, but now, there's a lot less doubt. 

Pages: 1 2 3 4