Jacksonville Jaguars Fan Forums

Full Version: After 3 hours of free agency...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Are we a better team now than we were a week ago?

Yes, but not as much as I'd hoped we'd be.

Though I wondered about the Jackson signing within the context of a deep DT class, he is a good player, upgrades either LDE or DT at the starter level, and gives us depth and versatility by moving people down.

Chris Ivory is a strong runner who minimally upgrades the team over ex Jaguar Toby Gerhart and current project Shoelace.  With Yeldon, he will provide a 1-2 punch in the running game.  I've heard that Ivory was not particularly effective in short yardage, which will continue to be a concern unless we can find another physical interior OL to go along with Linder and Cann.

I won't pretend to know or care about Nortman.

However, I am excited about the Gipson signing.  He is young, a clear upgrade over Sergio Brown, and gives us our best FS since Deon Grant.  He has a nose for the football.

As it stands now, I would think this group of signings reduces the likelihood of Ramsey or Buckner at 5 and increases the chances of Bosa or Myles Jack.

However, because we missed out on Vernon, Irvin and Williams, I think we missed an opportunity to significantly improve the pass rush, still the biggest weakness on the defense.

Quote:Are we a better team now than we were a week ago?

Yes, but not as much as I'd hoped we'd be.

Though I wondered about the Jackson signing within the context of a deep DT class, he is a good player, upgrades either LDE or DT at the starter level, and gives us depth and versatility by moving people down.

Chris Ivory is a strong runner who minimally upgrades the team over ex Jaguar Toby Gerhart and current project Shoelace.  With Yeldon, he will provide a 1-2 punch in the running game.  I've heard that Ivory was not particularly effective in short yardage, which will continue to be a concern unless we can find another physical interior OL to go along with Linder and Cann.

I won't pretend to know or care about Nortman.

However, I am excited about the Gipson signing.  He is young, a clear upgrade over Sergio Brown, and gives us our best FS since Deon Grant.  He has a nose for the football.

As it stands now, I would think this group of signings reduces the likelihood of Ramsey or Buckner at 5 and increases the chances of Bosa or Myles Jack.

However, because we missed out on Vernon, Irvin and Williams, I think we missed an opportunity to significantly improve the pass rush, still the biggest weakness on the defense.

A little more talented, but part of the problem with Jackson is that the Jaguars already were pretty good at DT, seems kind of a pointless signing.

The Jaguars will need to get a lot out of the draft class and Dante Fowler or they could end up as 2016's version of the 2015 Dolphins.
We lost nobody of note (replaced a punter with a punter, wisniewski might be back) and signed the best FA in the class, a Pro Bowl ball magnet FS and the AFC rushing leader.

Of course we are better.
I sure hope that money's well spent. I think Ramsey would be better than Gipson, and Jackson was a huge wad of cash blown on a position that didn't need it. I'd have put that money towards Vernon and let the Giants have Jackson, honestly, because we still have some serious pass rush issues and our new free safety lacks range.

Quote:I sure hope that money's well spent. I think Ramsey would be better than Gipson, and Jackson was a huge wad of cash blown on a position that didn't need it. I'd have put that money towards Vernon and let the Giants have Jackson, honestly, because we still have some serious pass rush issues and our new free safety lacks range.

Jackson can play anywhere along the line and the line did need it.
Quote:I sure hope that money's well spent. I think Ramsey would be better than Gipson, and Jackson was a huge wad of cash blown on a position that didn't need it. I'd have put that money towards Vernon and let the Giants have Jackson, honestly, because we still have some serious pass rush issues and our new free safety lacks range.

"He is fast and athletic for the safety position." per NFL combine.. dude does not lack wheels
I think we are alot better with taj and Malik on defense.
Jackson should be a major addition.  It's all about having an effective rotation.

We were strong at DT? Maybe in run stoppage but none of them could rush the passer a lick. Jackson was one of if not the top interior pass rushing DLineman last year. You should look at him like our Michael Bennett, he is a great scheme fit. 

I agree the team isn't as better as I'd hope but I think some of you don't give Jackson enough credit. He was their top priority and the top free agent this year for a reason.

Still happy about it. We got the best available FA (whether you think so or not), and a ball hawk upgrade at FA, finally. I'll take it.

Bullseye, the key words in your thread topic are "After three hours."

Long way to go buddy, hang in there. Between the rest of free agency and the draft, I'm quite sure Dave will address both the pass rush and the interior O line. I'm quite sure he's aware of the holes on this team.
hendershot...

The whole three hour thing wasn't lost on me at all.

To sign three guys of that caliber, even if it wasn't the pass rusher(s) we wanted/needed after three hours is still an accomplishment.

I'm quite confident of what Caldwell will do in the draft.

Heck, we could be Cleveland.

There are 32 teams that are all trying to get better this offseason.  The Jags have done well over the past few hours.  DT, RB, FS, P, and TE have been addressed.  

It would have been nice to pick up Vernon, but that contract was ridiculous for him.  Vernon is a good, not great, pass rusher.  With the price of pass rushers, it is probably going to be targeted in the draft.

Quote:We were strong at DT? Maybe in run stoppage but none of them could rush the passer a lick. Jackson was one of if not the top interior pass rushing DLineman last year. You should look at him like our Michael Bennett, he is a great scheme fit. 

I agree the team isn't as better as I'd hope but I think some of you don't give Jackson enough credit. He was their top priority and the top free agent this year for a reason.

Agree.

Defense was pretty porous with Marks injured, and he was never really 100% last season even when back.
Jackson #1 FA

Gibson #2 Safety FA

Ivory 1,000 rusher Pro Bowler

Fowler #3 pick in the draft (first year)

????? #5 pick which will be defense

Are you guys on drugs? Seriously?

Of course we are extremely better.
Quote:hendershot...

The whole three hour thing wasn't lost on me at all.

To sign three guys of that caliber, even if it wasn't the pass rusher(s) we wanted/needed after three hours is still an accomplishment.

I'm quite confident of what Caldwell will do in the draft.

Heck, we could be Cleveland.

Egad, the Browns... They lose Mack, Gipson, Schwartz, Benjamin and sign...................nobody. I've got a good friend who's a Browns fan who's on suicide watch at this point. And those new uniforms? Sorry but I'd be tempted to jump ship if I were a fan of that team. Jags look like the 49er teams of the 80s compared to the Browns right now.

I'm sure Dave will get another pass rusher, I'm just a little concerned about the interior o line. They released Beadles which told me he had a plan but they haven't addressed it so I'm just waiting for a signing at G or C to help solidify the middle. I'm sure it'll get done.
Oh yea a healthy Marks!
You're not going to land every guy you target in free agency, especially on the first day.  The fact that the Jags secured the level of talent they did during the first 3 hours is a boost of confidence to anyone supporting this team.  The team absolutely got better today, and they still have plenty of money to work with to continue adding to the roster, and a draft full of opportunities.  This is going to be a good off season for the Jags. 

At this point, Cleveland would be better off trading Haden.

But back to us, my "disappointment" is admittedly borne of greed for my Jaguars.

I'm not going TMD over this FA period.

We added some good players.  Just not as many as I hoped.

We can still add more that can help.

Quote:Egad, the Browns... They lose Mack, Gipson, Schwartz, Benjamin and sign...................nobody. I've got a good friend who's a Browns fan who's on suicide watch at this point. And those new uniforms? Sorry but I'd be tempted to jump ship if I were a fan of that team. Jags look like the 49er teams of the 80s compared to the Browns right now.

I'm sure Dave will get another pass rusher, I'm just a little concerned about the interior o line. They released Beadles which told me he had a plan but they haven't addressed it so I'm just waiting for a signing at G or C to help solidify the middle. I'm sure it'll get done.

Realistically, if you're rock bottom (and we've been there, arguably still there) you can't worry about losing star players if there isn't enough around them already.  Looks like they're rebuilding their core, where we're a step or two ahead (at least on offense.)
Pages: 1 2 3